Nissan 2012 Rogue CVT fluid with 40k miles (PIC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SO I did a drain and fill of almost 5 quarts. This was a clean catch about 3/4ths the way through the drain. A lot of highway miles. In case you don't know new fluid is green almost like an olive oil color.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I know the color does not give the whole picture of the condition of the fluid. It did not smell burnt but it sure did not smell like the new stuff. I am glad I did this drain and fill. Super easy too. I was getting worried about the transmission after reading some stories of failed CVTs. Nissan recommends 60K mile changes. I got a good 4.5 quarts out. That is more than half the entire amount of capacity. I have 20K miles left on my warranty and once that is done I will switch to Amsoils new CVT fluid. I decided at the last minute to catch this fluid, so I emptied a water bottle as seen in the pic. Im sure it will have some water left in the bottle but not much.......how good do you think this fluid would be to send in for a used fluid analysis?

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Another vote against lifetime fluids...

I definitely agree with that!

In spite of the potential for water contamination, I'd love to see an analysis of that fluid. In reality, no one can tell squat about the performance of the fluid based on your photo.

I must have missed your information: what year and model Nissan?

NS-2 CVT fluid?

Originally Posted By: dkryan
In spite of the potential for water contamination, I'd love to see an analysis of that fluid. In reality, no one can tell squat about the performance of the fluid based on your photo.

NS-2 CVT fluid?

Sorry 2012 Nissan Rogue....fwd with a little over 40K miles on it. I would say about 65% is highway 35% city. Mostly easy driving. I do get into it every once in awhile. One thing about this tranny is I started to hear a whine when it was revved up over 5K rpms.....after the fluid change the noise is gone.

And yes this was factory fill NS-2 and was replaced with genuine Nissan stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mcrn

NS-2 CVT fluid?

Sorry 2012 Nissan Rogue....fwd with a little over 40K miles on it. I would say about 65% is highway 35% city. Mostly easy driving. I do get into it every once in awhile. One thing about this tranny is I started to hear a whine when it was revved up over 5K rpms.....after the fluid change the noise is gone.

Is the drain plug magnetic? If so, was there anything on it?

NS-2 CVT fluid?

Is the drain plug magnetic? If so, was there anything on it?

I wish I could answer that!.......I dropped it into the drain pan!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
I think you could have gone to 60k before changing.

What would make you say that? Im not disagreeing with you. I just dont see how it could be said to go either way based on just color....however after saying that...I am glad I changed it and honestly wished I would have changed it at 30K miles. Without a UOA of this fluid we cant say. I just have a lot of peace of mind now knowing I changed it. Plus the noise difference makes me think the fluid was not doing what it was supposed to.

Nissan extended the warranty on some of those CVT's to 120,000 miles. I'm not totally sure if that applies to your model year, but it might be worth checking into. I think a 30k interval would be a good idea. Nissan usually lists servicing the transmission at 30k on their "Premium Service" schedule.

What would make you say that?

The NS-2 fluid is actually very durable. Even under severe service, Nissan recommends fairly long 60,000mi (100,000km) change intervals. Some members in the Versa forums have driven much longer before needing CVT fluid replacement.... over 100,000mi. The CVT computer has a deterioration date/ calculation that determines (based on usage) when the fluid should be changed. The dealer can read this information from the computer and tell you if the fluid needs to be changed.

The CVT fluid check is done with the CONSULT diagnostic tool, they just hook up and check the onboard computer for a "remaining service life", which it calculates based on many detailed parameters that it monitors while you drive. The tech will also do a visual check on the fluid to check for discoloration and according to one TSB "abnormal odour". The CVT fluid dipstick is easily accessible so you can check this yourself, at the very least you'll know if your level is correct, and you can see how discolored the fluid is although this is only a very rough indicator of fluid quality. After all, we don't change our motor oils just because it turns black. :p

Last edited:

What would make you say that? Im not disagreeing with you. I just dont see how it could be said to go either way based on just color....however after saying that...I am glad I changed it and honestly wished I would have changed it at 30K miles. Without a UOA of this fluid we cant say. I just have a lot of peace of mind now knowing I changed it. Plus the noise difference makes me think the fluid was not doing what it was supposed to.

Wait,there was a noise difference...that's a dead giveaway.I'd be a bit concerned as well(about the fluid, not the trans at this point).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FL_Rob

Wait,there was a noise difference...that's a dead giveaway.I'd be a bit concerned as well(about the fluid, not the trans at this point).

Yes there was a whine at high rpm that is now gone.

If you eliminated the whine, without divorce, with just the fluid change, then you did the right thing. Most of society is mechanically deaf until they need a tow.

Silly countdown timers, OE mileage interval recommendations, belly-rubbing enviro-eco friendliness, ... will lead to exercising that 10yr/120k warranty. What if you keep it longer than 120k???

Maintain it more often, and don't be afraid of aftermarket cvtf.

My Warranty is only until 60K miles. After 2010 they did away with the 120k mile warranty because they made improvements that are supposed to have fixed the failure rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back