PYB vs. QS Defy (Detergency)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noob thread:

What oil would have a more robust detergent? Both would be ran to about 5000 miles in a Jeep 4.0. I am not a SOPUS loyalist, so I am open to suggestions as well.
smile.gif

I run Defy 10w-30 in my 99 4.0L with great results. Runs smooth and is economical.I see no reason to change.

High mileage oils like mobil 1 high mileage. Mobil 1 states its hm is for cleaning ability. You could also run an HDEO they usually have a tough add pack for soot.

Don't know about the detergent...........but I run 5-30 Defy in my 2005 Jeep.

Seems to run real smooth on it.

If your Havoline costs less use it. If you can find QSAD the green bottle for less use it. In reality if you can get over the "stigma" of using a house brand like SuperTech use it. Each API certified oil will protect your engine so close to the same you will not be able to tell the difference.

I am not loyal to SOPUS but it is the supplier I prefer to purchase my products from and I can stop buy a local distrubtor and buy Pennzoil and Quaker State products at a discount over Wal-Mart prices this is a bonus.

I actually dumped the Havoline and am running PYB now. I have to update the sig yet.

So far I have had the best luck with QS Defy and PYB. My Jeep is being very picky at the moment and decided to start ticking again (while cold and hot).. I am right back where I was last year when I joined the forum. It is affecting my mental health.
laugh.gif

PYB and a Mopar filter used to be the quiet combo for me, but its been noisy since I changed the oil 2 weeks ago. The last combo I had luck with was QS Defy and a TG filter so I am considering running that again unless I find something that could clean better.

Maybe a short run of Seafoam in the oil first? I am running out of ideas.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
The last combo I had luck with was QS Defy and a TG filter so I am considering running that again unless I find something that could clean better.

Rotella T 10w-30 (regular conventional, not the T5 product) and a Motorcraft FL-400S. Both are available on the shelf at your local Advance Auto.

Stop fretting, get the oil change done, and report back.

PYB looks like a good choice. Slightly cheaper too. I am going to give the 10w30 HDEO a try though.

I cant help but wonder if a good 5w HDEO would help pump oil into the hydraulic lifters easier especially in the cold.

Last edited:
Beware - Rotella 10W30 is hard to find and most WM's don't carry it which means if you find it at a auto parts store you will be paying mucho $$ for it ! For your Jeep 4.0L I would consider Pennzoil 10W30 HM plus a Fram Toughguard oil filter from WM or th same with PYB 10W30 oil ...I don't really think you can do better than with these combos .

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
The last combo I had luck with was QS Defy and a TG filter so I am considering running that again

That is a good oil and filter combination. Stick with it.

I have used PYB and Defy and both are very good oils. BUT do not forget about Maxlife "red bottle semi-syn", because it also cleans very well and is well liked on this forum...

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I have used PYB and Defy and both are very good oils. BUT do not forget about Maxlife "red bottle semi-syn", because it also cleans very well and is well liked on this forum...

It is also Dexos rated IIRC.

Some engines (jeep 4.0L) can be noisy on Maxlife - much quiter on Pennzoil / Quaker State / Shell and shed iron on Mobil . In the case of a jeep 4.0L keep your choices to SOPUS oils .

Last edited:
If the engines ticking I'd use a long life oil and a can of mos2. Run the oil as long as you're comfortable.
Should get rid of the tick.

I've got three Jeeps with the 4.0 engine. My three 4.0 engines have a combined mileage of over 600,000 miles. The 4.0 engines that have high miles will tick, especially when cold. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back