SL-rated Subaru

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I'm getting a 2004 Subaru, 2.5L, Subaru wants several oils, 5W30, 10W30, 10w40, all in SL with SJ acceptable ILSAC GF3. Mostly, I guess I'll run 5W30. So you guys with older engines, are you dosing with ZDDP, running an HDEO, or just using the new oils with confidence? This one has new head gaskets and is pretty tight. I'm not going to be redlining it, this car will be an exercise in durability.

Instead of adding anything, why not try Mobil1 HM? It's a high-quality SL-rated oil with high levels of zinc and phosphorous, right out of the bottle. And with your Subaru's age, its seal comditioners are and added bonus.

I've found mine took a good liking to Redline 0W-40. Lots of zinc, lots of moly.

And advice as far as headgaskets go: Change oil often, change coolant often (I do mine at the end of every summer. Only cost about 20-25 bucks using OEM subie coolant). And make sure your engine block has good grounds. Also make sure that the tstat in there is OEM subaru. You'll find that the valve opening on it is much larger than the parts store thermostats.

Originally Posted By: Concours14
this car will be an exercise in durability.

Have you had an oil analysis performed?

As for ZDDP/HDEO, what qualities of a Subaru EJ, in your application, do you think necessitate such a product?

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

As for ZDDP/HDEO, what qualities of a Subaru EJ, in your application, do you think necessitate such a product?

I think he is saying that the manual ( subaru) recommends an SL oil.

I don't think anything necessitates any product, just wondering if the engine (ok, the builders of the engine) want me to stick with SL-levels of zinc, etc. or if none of it matters at all. The car was built with 5W30SL in mind. That's why I asked. I don't really THINK anything Sparky, that's why I asked. Also, I'm getting the car, meaning I don't have it yet. So no, no UOA yet.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

I think he is saying that the manual ( subaru) recommends an SL oil.

You are correct sir. Heck, hot weather desert applications, get this:

Maintenance and service
API classification SL (or SJ):
SAE viscosity
30, 40, 10W-50, 20W-40, 20W-50

20W-50, I gotta get me some of THAT!

My sister and brother in law are on their 4th and 5th Subarus. They only get store brand oil (either Advance or WalMart SuperTech) and usually a Fram filter. From what my sister says, I suspect that the oil gets changed every 6000-8000 miles.

And they still get between 200,000 and 300,000 miles out of each one. And it is usually rust that takes them off the road.

It's not that tough to get high miles out of a Subaru... even with tough love.

I don't really THINK anything

Therein lies the problem.

Not a problem at all. In this regard, I have no opinion yet, which is why I solicited the opinions of others. You obviously have no opinion as you answered my question with two questions that indicated you didn't even read my OP. I don't have the car yet and I was merely wondering if others would dose this thing to get to SL. Simple enough. You like to stir, don't ya Sparky?
36.gif

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
My sister and brother in law are on their 4th and 5th Subarus. They only get store brand oil (either Advance or WalMart SuperTech) and usually a Fram filter. From what my sister says, I suspect that the oil gets changed every 6000-8000 miles.

And they still get between 200,000 and 300,000 miles out of each one. And it is usually rust that takes them off the road.

It's not that tough to get high miles out of a Subaru... even with tough love.

I have a sister that's been driving them for 20 years and they've been going for 250,000-plus also. Rust, yeah, it's a Vermont car, too. Ah well..Thanks!

Your owner's manual was written in '03 or before. What Subaru wants now has nothing to do with what Subaru recommended a decade ago, which was based solely on what was available as the latest spec., nothing more. IIRC, Subaru has always simply required the latest (or two latest) API specs, along with a viscosity and list of suitable alternatives.

So, since it seems like you'll be babying this thing, I'd say go with any SN-rated oil and forget about it. If you have anything more aggressive planned, then consider a heavier-duty oil.

The EJ in my old '97 legacy GT ran pretty much the same on M1 HM, Castrol GTX, Rotella T6,and assortment of different oils, though I have to be fair and say that my butt done data indicated that M1 HM 10W-30 sounded and felt the best, for what little that's worth.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: bvance554
Dude, don't fret. Just run an SN oil.

Agreed.

+1

SL was the API spec when your 01 was made. Any SN rated oil will be fine.

In the 142,000+ miles my Outback has run it has seen pretty much every name brand 5/10W30 in conventional, blend, and synthetic. No lubrication related issues. Give it a quality 5w30 conventional and filter and change every 5000-7500 miles, or syn and every 7500-10000 if a UOA supports it. My go to conventional oils are Quaker State and Pennzoil. Currently running synthetic Quaker State Ultimate Durability, as I got it cheaper than conventional after a rebate. Once I'm out of it, back to conventional again. If I ever develop significant consumption* or worse leaks** I'll probably start with QS Defy or Pennzoil HM in 5w30.

* No matter the oil, car has always used .25 to .50 quarts every 5000 miles, which is perfectly acceptable to me. All internal combustion engines will consume some oil.
** My rear oil separator plate (factory is plastic) is starting to weep slightly. Not uncommon, but not worth me having to drop the transmission to replace with the upgraded metal part unless it starts leaking badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back