motor pinging with cheap gas ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 06 ford with the 3.Liter DOHC motor I buy gas at Kroger the motor will have a pinging sound but when I use shell gas it seems to go away is this all in my head ???
Can cheap gas make your motor ping??????
thanks

Yep, i use cheap 91 most of the time cause i can get it 10c/L cheaper, and i do experience pinging noises with it. I also found it goes away when i use shell 95 or 98 octane but most of the time thats a lot more expensive
Im actually thinking about switching my car to a diet of higher quality 95 and 98 because its better for the engine, stops pinging and keeps things cleaner inside, and the extra money i spend on the fuel ill hopefully save by not having to buy injector cleaner all the time!

I might know why. Shell, Mobil and Exxon fuel in Ohio (my area anyhow) was tested in 2011 as being one octane number higher than stated on the pump. If you bought 87 octane you were really getting 88 octane. Shell blends in a different additive package at the tanker farm however.
I got this info from a relative at a family reunion who works in the related corporate. Doesn't mean it's true now.

To 19jacobob93 in Queensland: The premium you have to pay to avoid pinging could do alot more than help you avoid fuel system cleaner purchases.

It might just keep you from rattling your engine to an early death.

Pinging is BAD. It's not just a noise. When the Aussie temps reach 130F (55C) and you're relieved of speed limits on that Moonscape you call the Outback, pinging is the last thing you want. Kira

It shouldn't be critical with a car like that. I've decided that its worthwhile to stay with name brand gas if possible. This site has taught me that its the oil that is interchangeable.

Not only can cheap gas cause pinging, it will get considerably poorer fuel mileage than better stuff. The worst tank I ever got was along HW 40 in Amarillo.......I only got 22mpg, when I almost never get less than 30. No pinging, though.......I assume that tank had an unusually high percentage of ethanol.

And no, it was not E85......At least, the pump wasn't LABELED E85.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ckmarsh
I have a 06 ford with the 3.Liter DOHC motor I buy gas at Kroger the motor will have a pinging sound but when I use shell gas it seems to go away is this all in my head? Can cheap gas make your motor ping?

Not in your head. Yes, low(er) octane fuel can make your engine ping. It might have to do with the additive pack as well. BTW, I buy a lot of gas at Kroger. If not Kroger, then Sam's Club. No complaints on either vendor.

I'm surprised your engine's computer/anti-knock sensor did not adjust for this by retarding the spark slightly. My vehicle is supposed to have premium fuel, which is what I try to use. But, on a few odd occasions, 'regular' was put in the tank. The computer adjusted and it worked okay - just not as much pep.

All newer cars will have some ping and during acceleration. which is just fine cause of the lean air fuel ratios. my car manual even says so as well.

Originally Posted By: abycat
All newer cars will have some ping and during acceleration. which is just fine cause of the lean air fuel ratios. my car manual even says so as well.

+1. In my experience, some cars are just more susceptible to do so. I too, buy quite a bit of fuel at Kroger/Turkey Hill and the only car I ever owned that pinged on it was a 2000 Ford Taurus with a vulcan. It would never ping on any other kinds of fuel, even no-names. All of mp present cars in my signature run fine on it without issue.

Years ago, I had a 1987 Chevy Nova that would sound like a popcorn popper whenever I used BP. I could put the cheapest swill that I could find in it and it would run smooth, but put BP in it and it would ping relentlessly. My ex-fiancee had an 88 Nova that was an exact copy of it and it did the same.

Never found an answer. Just did not run those brands in those vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Never found an answer. Just did not run those brands in those vehicles.

Okay, for the OP, why not try the next Kroger fuel grade up? If that solves the problem, then you can decide if it's worth the extra money.

Kroger stores usually have regular, mid-range and premium - at my Kroger, it's advertised as 87, 89(?) and 93 octane. Sam's only has two grades - 87 and 93, as I recall.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I might know why. Shell, Mobil and Exxon fuel in Ohio (my area anyhow) was tested in 2011 as being one octane number higher than stated on the pump. If you bought 87 octane you were really getting 88 octane. Shell blends in a different additive package at the tanker farm however.
I got this info from a relative at a family reunion who works in the related corporate. Doesn't mean it's true now.

Yes I remember watching that on news when it pings and rattle it during acceleration the OM for the car says to use 87 octane I guess I just need to use shell gas .

I have a 3.0 DOHC never had trouble with pinging. I buy Costco signature 87 for it and have had zero problems. Costco is super top tier.

Stop buying that cheapo bunker fuel and enjoy the improved ride and fuel mileage
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Stop buying that cheapo bunker fuel and enjoy the improved ride and fuel mileage
thumbsup2.gif

yes I use the good stuff when I can I need to get my wife to stop using Kroger gas to save a few dollars on my last trip I was hauling 700lbs using shell and BP and I did not hear anything.

Originally Posted By: ckmarsh
I have a 06 ford with the 3.Liter DOHC motor I buy gas at Kroger the motor will have a pinging sound but when I use shell gas it seems to go away is this all in my head ???
Can cheap gas make your motor ping??????
thanks

ckmarsh,

I wonder if you put in a bottle of gas "intake cleaner" and took it out for a long drive on the highway? Maybe insides needs cleaning.

Durango

After using shell gas everything fine they have a lot of fuel Inj cleaner in their gas.

Due to their fuel discount program my wife buys fuel at Kroger. I see Flying J trucks filling the tanks there. She fills the car with 93 octane as directed. This is for a 2011 LS3 V8 Camaro. I have been driving the car as of late. I have been running Shell 93 in it. I reset the cars computer with the fuse pull method which resets the pcm octane tables. Car runs like a scalded ape now. If the car detects poor quality fuel it switches to the low octane table and takes forever to reset. Wont be running trash Kroger fuel anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back