Rear wheel drive vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as far as my knowledge and experience goes driving rear wheel CVPI's, they are about as bad as bad can get in snow/heavy rain when accelerating much at all. I am curious what everyone would think about a Subaru BRZ, with RWD, but with snow tires for the winter. Do you think it would be okay?

I'd avoid snow tires in the stock size and try to find some narrower "pizza cutters".

Does this thing have huge brakes that require huge rims? Because that's a downer. At least crown vics have a reasonable aspect ratio.

I was behind a brz the other day and noticed how narrow the tires were. About the same as any small car these days. It does have half the weight on the back tires atleast so with the narrowest snow tires that fit, I think it would be decent.

My car is horrendous in rain, to the point where I can't set off from the lights without doing a burnout no matter how lightly i touch the pedal. I have spun out on a roundabout twice in the rain as well doing 20mph
Funnily enough it handles snow and ice pretty well, i didn't have any problems driving through the mountains on icy roads and snow with only normal road tires on
I can't imagine a BRZ being much of a problem, not much low down torque should make it easy to control the power delivery and surely it has some form of ESP
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
My car is horrendous in rain, to the point where I can't set off from the lights without doing a burnout no matter how lightly i touch the pedal. I have spun out on a roundabout twice in the rain as well doing 20mph
Funnily enough it handles snow and ice pretty well, i didn't have any problems driving through the mountains on icy roads and snow with only normal road tires on
I can't imagine a BRZ being much of a problem, not much low down torque should make it easy to control the power delivery and surely it has some form of ESP
smile.gif

Sounds like you should replace your tires with better quality ones!

RWD on decent tires is just fine in the snow.
RWD was what we rolled on in the northern part of the state when I was a lad.
No issues even on tires that were probably worse than the made in China stuff you see today.
Nobody other than a few grumpy old men bothered with snows.

You just need to learn to drive in the snow. I had a RWD Toyota pickup for years, light back end and all. It was a manual, which helps some. Can be done, I grew up with RWD in the late 70's and 80's...

Last edited:
I didn't have any problem with my BRZ last winter. I have narrower tires for the winter. Can't tell if the stock size would have been better or worse. I tried to find tires as narrow as possible. Ended up with 195/60R16 tires.

I know my truck is nothing like a brz but it handles great in the winter in 2wd. my fwd car is a little funny to me since ive almost always had rear or pickup 4wd. get some good tires for sure.

Any vehicle with the proper snow tires will drive well in the snow. You just have a hard time accelerating with RWD, but with 4 good snow tires, you can steer and brake much easier, which is the part that causes accidents.

Obviously, FWD/4WD is king for accelerating in the snow with 4 snow tires.

I've driven a RWD car (1998 Mustang) in the winter with nice tires and it got along just fine. The biggest issue, IMO, is having the wrong tires with any car in the winter. The tires make all the difference in my experience. I know with the Sumitomos I used to have on my Acura, I couldn't drive in any type of snow without sliding everywhere, even when new. When I replaced them with the current Arizonians, the car is great in the snow again. Granted, it's FWD but the same tire principle applies.

Never had a single issue with my 530i with winter tires on. Now, with all-seasons during winter things get really interesting...

Lots of experience w/ both CVPI's & Caprices in horrendous (cant state that enough - HORRENDOUS) conditions. Always used proper snow tires (as well as stupid 'v-rated' snow tires) and I never encountered any real difficulties. It CAN be done. Skills are required, naturally, but it is very much do-able. Also have used Chargers, too. They did just fine if not better) than Fords or Chev's.

My two cents' worth.

John.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Never had a single issue with my 530i with winter tires on. Now, with all-seasons during winter things get really interesting...

Ditto for my E39 528i and E90 328i.

Yep! Despite being well within tollerence, they're a couple of years old and were cheapo Chinas to start with haha
Still got me through the hot desert sand tracks and up and down the windy icy roads of the snowy mountains in that time so can't complain, but will definitely invest in a decent set next time

Should be fine with a good set of snow tires. A 215 width tire on a 2800 lb car is a little much, though. The 195/60-16 recommendation earlier would be a good size.

My RWD 5 speed stick LSD rear 88 E-150 does quite well in snow. I have a good set of all season tires on it [I'm sure snows would be even better] but I haven't been in snow that has caused it any problems at all. Good tires and the LSD rear are a big help. I also prefer a stick over an automatic tranny when it comes to driving in snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back