VW Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a new 2014 VW Passat with the 1.8 Turbo motor. The owner manual calls for 5-30 or 5-40 with the VW Spec. Is the Castrol Edge European 0-40 OK? The container says it meets the VW spec but the weight doesn't jive with the Passat manual.

Under warranty? Use ONLY what the manual says. Make sure that it says "Meets VW spec 502" or whatever spec your manual calls for. When your warranty is over, then use what you want.Make sure that you have receipts for the oil and filters used.

Last edited:
Castrol Edge 0W40 is on VW's approved list for meeting the VW 502 spec. I like that this engine has a large 6.75 Qt oil capacity.

Quattro Pete
Yes, Either Castrol 0w-40 or M1 0w-40 will be just great in this engine.

How do you like this engine?

So far, so good. Has good power, runs smooth, and my wife (primary driver) likes it a lot. Trying to find some kind of trunk organizer, the trunk is gigantic and grocery bags won't stay put.

Originally Posted By: redbone3
Just got a new 2014 VW Passat with the 1.8 Turbo motor. The owner manual calls for 5-30 or 5-40 with the VW Spec. Is the Castrol Edge European 0-40 OK? The container says it meets the VW spec but the weight doesn't jive with the Passat manual.

Does it really have those exact weights listed? I thought it just had to meet VW's spec?

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Does it really have those exact weights listed? I thought it just had to meet VW's spec?

Both of my VW manuals call for either 5w-40 (preferred) or 5w-30 (acceptable substitute) and the applicable VW spec in addition to the ACEA (A3/B3 or A3/B4 in my case) requirements.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Wonder what the differences are between Edge 5W40 and 0W40?

The 0w-40 meets more stringent mfg specs, and therefore is probably a better lubricant.

Trying to find some kind of trunk organizer, the trunk is gigantic and grocery bags won't stay put.

Buy a cargo net if your trunk floor has the hook rings.

I looked in another part of the owner manual for my 14 Passat (1.8T) and found it's okay to use any weight oil compatible with my location, as long as it meets the VW spec. So, I guess it's ok to use 0-40 Euro Edge. I emailed VW with the same question, wonder if they will reply?

Weights quickly become meaningless when specifications such as yours are given. The use of any oil that meets the spec is going to be of a viscosity that's acceptable for that engine.

I looked in another part of the owner manual for my 14 Passat (1.8T) and found it's okay to use any weight oil compatible with my location, as long as it meets the VW spec. So, I guess it's ok to use 0-40 Euro Edge. I emailed VW with the same question, wonder if they will reply?

Trying to find some kind of trunk organizer, the trunk is gigantic and grocery bags won't stay put.

Did you look at the under side of the back window decking? My Audi has two retractable hooks that are specifically made for grocery bags and work great.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Weights quickly become meaningless when specifications such as yours are given. The use of any oil that meets the spec is going to be of a viscosity that's acceptable for that engine.

This answers your question perfectly.

1. All you need to worry about is the VW 502 spec not the actual weight.
2. The people at WV who reply to emails don't know anything. All they do is check the owner's manual and read what it says. So if it says 'we recommend 5W-40" that is what they will tell you.
3. For my VW I went to Canadian Tire and bought a cargo net for about $15 and it works just fine. I think VW sells one for about $75 or something. A waste.

For your trunk, Google "DIY cargo blocks" and it'll show you a link to Lifehacker's storage solution. A more expensive option is WeatherTech's CargoTech.

On your oil, as many posted above, you can use VW 502.00 certified/approved oil like M1 or Castrol's 0W-40. If you want 5W-40, there's also Valvoline Synpower.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nolesfan
^^ Agree; as long as the oil meets VW 502 spec, it satisfies requirements. Here the spec is more important than viscosity.

Every oil I've bought in the UK that satisfies 502.00 also satisfies A3/B4. I suspect the specs are very similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back