Parents got a new used truck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like my parents just bought a new used truck...

P30052_4.jpg

2011, 4.0, automatic, 2WD. A little under 14,000 mi. I was surprised they went with a 4.0. I thought they were going to hunt down a 2.3L. The bright red kind of surprised me too.

They looked at Tacomas too, but pickings were not good for extended cab 2WDs without the PreRunner suspension.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I was surprised they went with a 4.0. I thought they were going to hunt down a 2.3L.

The bigger engines get about the same mpg in actual day to day driving, so might as well get the more powerful engine. I'm sure it will suit them well.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I was surprised they went with a 4.0. I thought they were going to hunt down a 2.3L.

The bigger engines get about the same mpg in actual day to day driving, so might as well get the more powerful engine. I'm sure it will suit them well.

No, they don't. The 4.0 gets about 17-20 at the most. The 2.3 Rangers are the most fuel efficient pickups made in recent years and get about 27-30 mpg.

yep the 4.0 gets about 18-23mpg in 2wd with granny driving.

4x4 models it was more like 14-19 due to the front live axle setup even when 4x4 wasnt engaged.

That should actually be quite quick and fun to drive.

The 3.0 v6 was the dog that was underpowered and almost the same mpg as the 4.0

the 2.3 4 banger had less torque but nearly the same hp as the 3.0 v6 and got high 20's mpg

Originally Posted By: exranger06

No, they don't. The 4.0 gets about 17-20 at the most. The 2.3 Rangers are the most fuel efficient pickups made in recent years and get about 27-30 mpg.

Last edited:
The Rat will get about 20-21 mpg on the highway doing 65. I wanted the 4 banger too, but I wanted 4wd and a 5spd more.
grin2.gif

Looks like my parents just bought a new used truck...

P30052_4.jpg

2011, 4.0, automatic, 2WD. A little under 14,000 mi. I was surprised they went with a 4.0. I thought they were going to hunt down a 2.3L. The bright red kind of surprised me too.

They looked at Tacomas too, but pickings were not good for extended cab 2WDs without the PreRunner suspension.

Maybe it is just me but that truck looks like it has a strange stance. Looks like there is a load in the bed.

98+ models don't have much rake, and it's even less noticeable on Super Cabs. Looks normal to me.

They know it won't get the MPG of a 2.3L, but they aren't going to put tons of miles on it either. Probably less than 10K a year.

The truck is CPO with warranty. 7 year/100K powertrain.

Looks great. The 4.0 should move that truck with ease. Too bad Ford didn't keep them around, and update them. A 3.7 or 2.3EB Ranger with, updated interior would be nice.

Nice Ranger!

I really dont know what im going to replace my 03 with when the time comes, I expect another3-4 years out of it tho...

WRONG. the later 4 4 cyls in rangers get very good mileage

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I would like to find a 2.3L ranger with 5 speed. Nearly 30MPG out of a truck is nice!
Me too. And there is a guy on ecomodder.com who is nearly getting 50mpg with his with very few mods. I think he did the plug wire re-arrange trick, added an air dam even lower that the OEM one, taped off most of his grille opening and weatherstripped the headlamps/hood/grille gaps. I think he runs a tonneau cover too.

Don't forget the Mazda versions!

We were looking for a small pickup for my Daughter who is in Nursing School. Found a gorgeous little silver B23oo with a 5 speed and cold AC. Had it since May now and it has run flawlessly and regularly nails high 20's with a young gal driving.

Great little truck, cheap to repair and reliable...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back