Wheel bearing and hub assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.
If OEM only lasted 62k, I'd imagine it is due to road condition and not wear and tear that's even between both side. I'd replace only 1 side.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Scott_mi
Originally Posted By: redhat
Are you out of your powertrain warranty?

Not sure if maybe you got a few months left. Usually wheel bearings on GMs are powertrain. Just a thought.

This post may be for naught. I did not think for a second that would be covered under the power train warranty. Will see if I'm in for an up hill battle, SOL, or I get taken care of.

My PT warranty expired 7-31-14. Before it expired, I took the truck in for a TBS on oil consumption and while they were doing the repair they must have done an inspection because when I picked up the truck they had 2 "service Pricing Quotes" for repairs. One of those is for the Hub and bearing assembly and the other is for leaking transmission cooler lines.

So here I sit with a dealer labeled and dated price quote for repairing the wheel hub for $632.13 showing they found it needing to be replaced prior to my warranty expiring. They never asked about my warranty or mentioned that it was covered under warranty.

Since I hate when an OP disappears and thread's have no update or ending....

Thanks for the info on brands and replacement suggestions, but a bigger thanks to radhat for the info that it could be covered under power train warranty. Went in and spoke with service adviser who spoke with service manager, who left and did something or spoke with someone....will get it covered either warranty or good will....not sure as they mentioned both. Considering I had dealer dated papers indicating it needed to be replaced prior to my warranty expiring, I figured I would eventually get it taken care of, but glad I didn't need to fight with the dealer and go through GM customer care.

Last edited:
Scott, glad they're going to be fixing it for you. I'm happy to see that a few lines helped you to save some beans.

That's what the whole point of these forums are... to help others out and some good conversation.

Do hub/bearings fall apart if ignored long enough?

Hearing impaired neighbor's 01 S-10 crewcab had both front hubs replaced 5 years apart.

Did his brakes and general tuneup one day and noted significant play in front left hub. The owner let it go. Ok, its your Chevy, I dont care for em but its your safety I'm more concerned about.

It made weird popping noises one day while riding in it. You could move the wheel around almost 1" in all directions. It was a scary sight!

Les Schwab thought the axle nut might be loose. Retorqued and no difference. They had the new bearing done in an hour or so. New one was a SKF.

Old bearing felt as if it could fall apart in your hand any minute. It was beyond shot. How long it lasted like that is beyond me as he does regular tire rotations at Hertz where the truck was bought. They should have caught it.

That also resolved the front end vibration at highway speeds.

SKF or Timken is the way to go

Oh yes they can fall apart. Big tires makes them fail a little quicker too. A friend had a hub come apart on the freeway. Damage to front axle and fender was pretty extensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back