Oil Change Place put universal fluid in a Chrysler

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my Chrysler Sebring Convertible to a local oil change shop that was running a $69.99 transmission flush, since my car was due, I took it in for the flush, I drove the car about 500 miles and noticed that when shifting from reverse to drive, the shift was very abrupt. It also started shifting gears abruptly at times, mainly when cold. I went to my trusted mechanic and he looked at the fluid and identified that the color was wrong for a Chrysler with ATF+4. I went to the oil change shop and they used Pennsoil Multi-vehicle ATF, that fluid does not state it is compatible with ATF+4 on the package, they assured me it was safe, but I demanded ATF+4. The shop agreed to do another flush and refill with ATF+4. The car is shifting how it should now, but my question is, did this cause damage to the transmission, or should I be fortunate I still have the original transmission at 120,000 miles?

There's no doubt that this adventure did nothing good for your car. The problem is what if any damage did it do. Probably the best you can do is keep good records just in case, and hope for the best.

How about a Blackstone UOA? There's no such thing as too much information and documentation. I'd get the UOA right away and maybe another one down the line.

good thing that you got them to switch the car back to ATF+4. as far as "should you feel fortunate to get 120k out of a Chrysler trans": I have a 1996 Sebring with over 200,000 miles on the original transmission and I have done nothing other than fluid/filter changes to the transmission. it still shifts great!

Good to know about the Sebring transmissions, The shop argued with me that Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF was safe, but their Pennzoil rep said it "should" work, but they did not go through the Chrysler ATF+4 certification process. I do feel better knowing that it has the right fluid in it now, and it is documented well that they screwed up.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
good thing that you got them to switch the car back to ATF+4. as far as "should you feel fortunate to get 120k out of a Chrysler trans": I have a 1996 Sebring with over 200,000 miles on the original transmission and I have done nothing other than fluid/filter changes to the transmission. it still shifts great!

97 intrepid with 250k and 01 intrepid with 203k here, some people get lucky i guess :p

Not all transmission universal fluids are harmful in place of ATF+4. I have used Amsoil SS ATF in place of ATF +4 with great results.

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
Not all transmission universal fluids are harmful in place of ATF+4. I have used Amsoil SS ATF in place of ATF +4 with great results.

But Amsoil states it's compatible with atf+4, while the other fluid does not. So you essentially just told him you used a compatible fluid and had no issues...

Originally Posted By: brandini

But Amsoil states it's compatible with atf+4, while the other fluid does not. So you essentially just told him you used a compatible fluid and had no issues...

Some will argue that since Amsoil does not have Chrysler's ATF +4 certification, it will inherently not work properly in ATF +4 applications. So yes, Amsoil states that their universal ATF is ATF+4 compatible (but not Chrysler) and so I did tell him I used a compatible fluid with no issues.

I guess my point was that not all universal or non-Chrysler certified fluids will fail in place of genuine ATF +4.

Originally Posted By: brandini

Some will argue that since Amsoil does not have Chrysler's ATF +4 certification, it will inherently not work properly in ATF +4 applications. So yes, Amsoil states that their universal ATF is ATF+4 compatible (but not Chrysler) and so I did tell him I used a compatible fluid with no issues.

I guess my point was that not all universal or non-Chrysler certified fluids will fail in place of genuine ATF +4.

+1 - I use Amsoil ATF in both of my Chrysler transmissions, with no issues.

I am going to say that he was likely right about the fluid causing your issues, however his statement about the wrong "color" is just total bunk. Chrysler ATF+4 is red, Pennzoil Multi-vehicle ATF is red. He would not be able to discern the two fluids by the color on the dipstick.

I used NAPA ATF (Ashland product) for a pan drop, filter change, & refill on my Dodge @ 38k and have had no issues. Now approaching 52k. Would like to replace it all with Amsoil one day but don't want it flushed with a solvent in between. I hope someone can switch it all somehow.

Last edited:
Chrysler trans are the worst. Just google the trans model number.

Must use Diamond +4 but I have a Sewbring and have been using Redline C+ and the car shifts perfectly.

Now just waiting on when the second gear wavy ring detonates and lunches the trans.
Last Chrysler I swear.

Went with a friend of mine one time when he was getting his trans flushed way back when, and I demanded that they use ATF+4. Said we'd pay whatever the difference was and all (wasn't much).

They tried at first to tell me that they used a Wynn's product that made the fluid compatible. Forget that.

Pennzoil multi-vehicle atf states on the back suitable for atf+3. My guess is it is not group III, like atf+4 is. I doubt it did any damage, but good move on replacing it with atf+4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back