K&N PS-2009 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all, im from the UK, long time reader but first time poster/contributor.
I have got this K&N filter PS-2009 pro series and decided to cut it up, I don't understand how its bypass valve works, I try and push the filter element down and it doesn't compress so don't know how the bypass functions.

here are the pics,

jv175e.jpg

2d9bs3r.jpg

mhy0yq.jpg

11qhmds.jpg

2hob3w9.jpg

sm6h3a.jpg

25f6fb4.jpg

15nvn6a.jpg

there doesn't seem to be much filter media, when I cut it out its about 1 meter long, iv cut open same size wix and mahle filters which have a lot more media, the mahle is nearing on double the media length.

what do you guys rekon to this filter?

It looks like this filter has the strange "clicker" type bypass valve located on the dome side end cap.

K&N oil filters are meant to not get in the way of oil flow and evidently give up on efficiency to accomplish this. This may not be the filter you want in a daily driver.

The bypass valve does look like a "clicker" which may be set at a higher than normal "delta" because this filter is not meant for long intervals. In other words you're expected to keep up the maintenance on the type of performance vehicle for which this filter is to be used. I clicker valve does not "creep" open. It's either closed or open. Not much in between.

The K&N Pro Series filter is not the former top of the line generally associated with K&N that had thread end bypass and integral nut on the dome. And this Pro Series has odd Champ made clicker type bypass.

But K&N no longer made by Champ/Uci Fram both now thing of the past.

thanks for the input guys, the AA stamped on the base means its USA champ labs built?

guess I will avoid using this filter. how long can it go for? will it do 5000 miles?

Originally Posted By: slybunda
thanks for the input guys, the AA stamped on the base means its USA champ labs built?

guess I will avoid using this filter. how long can it go for? will it do 5000 miles?

It has a silicone adbv and looks well made, ~5k miles should be easily doable. I wouldn't be concerned about the bypass design, ran an STP S2808 with same bypass type ~8k miles as shown in this thread.

Not sure of meaning but some Champ made filters have AA on the baseplate, I'd assume it's made in US.

Odd that i can't make the bypass trigger I applied a lot of pressure onto it but I don't think it engages like that its weird.

Also another question about bypass valves, 2 different brands of filters that cross reference over to each other have different bypass ratings, e.g one will have 10-11psi. Other has 16-18 psi. Which filter is better to use? The one with the lower or higher rating? Also will the one with a higher rating not end up with oil starvation due to reduced flow on cold start since bypass rating is higher?

Also another question about bypass valves, 2 different brands of filters that cross reference over to each other have different bypass ratings, e.g one will have 10-11psi. Other has 16-18 psi. Which filter is better to use? The one with the lower or higher rating? Also will the one with a higher rating not end up with oil starvation due to reduced flow on cold start since bypass rating is higher?

The filter's bypass setting also takes in to account the design of the filter itself, along with the performance of the vehicle oiling system, so one brand may have a different bypass setting then the next brand. If one filter part number is specified to fit a large range of vehicles, so the designer has to ensure the filter will work on every vehicle it is specified for use.

10~11 psi isn't really that far apart from 16~18 psi, so IMO your engine will not know the difference. If both are specified for your engine, then I'd use the one that is built better and filters better.

Hmm so does that mean higher bypass psi means there will be slower flow rate of oil through the filter till sufficient pressure builds up in the filter to trigger bypass?

Hmm so does that mean higher bypass psi means there will be slower flow rate of oil through the filter till sufficient pressure builds up in the filter to trigger bypass?

No. The oil pump is most likely a positive displacement type, so all the volume coming out of the pump will literally be forced through the filter and engine.

The only function the filter's bypass valve has is to open when the pressure difference (delta-P) across the media gets too high due to crud being trapped in the filter, or the oil being too cold & thick. This prevents the media from getting damaged, and ensures oil still gets to the engine. Bypass valves rarely open in normal use.

When the bypass valve is closed, 100% of the oil flow goes through the media and gets filtered. Any oil that goes through the open bypass valve is not filtered.

Ahh OK I thought that the bypass determins max pressure lost in the system due to the oil filter. Eg bypass of 15 ment max oil pressure loss possible by filter would be 15psi not more since bypass would open to relieve pressure and maintain flow.

But if your saying bypass protects the media from imploding then does it mean a filter with higher bypass rating has stronger and better quality media?

Ahh OK I thought that the bypass determins max pressure lost in the system due to the oil filter. Eg bypass of 15 ment max oil pressure loss possible by filter would be 15psi not more since bypass would open to relieve pressure and maintain flow.

But if your saying bypass protects the media from imploding then does it mean a filter with higher bypass rating has stronger and better quality media?

The oil pressure (P) seen at the input side of the engine (where the oil pressure sensor is located) is a result of the positive displacement oil pump forcing X volume of oil through Y resistance to flow. If X and/or Y goes up, then P goes up. P stops going up when the oil pump's pressure relief valve opens to regulate the maximum pressure output of the oil pump. So the outlet pressure at the pump's output side is maximized and can't increase above that point. Usually 70~100 PSI for most engines on the road. This is how an oiling system with a positive displacement oil pump is supposed to work.

The filter's bypass valve is working independently of the oil pump's pressure regulation/relief valve described above. Yes, the filter bypass valve is to protect both the engine and the filter. It protects the engine by ensuring enough oil flow volume still gets past the filter and to the engine if the filter becomes very clogged up or the oil is very thick in cold weather (ie, the delta-p across the media becomes high). A high delta-p across the media also puts more stress on the media, so the bypass valve also ensures that the delta-p is kept to a maximum level that the media can withstand without being damaged.

So yes, a filter that has a higher setting on the bypass valve can take a higher delta-p. It better be able to take at least the delta-p the bypass valve is set to, or else it's not designed correctly.

Ahh OK, I have a Toyota celica which has a 2zz-GE engine does the oil pump in this car have a pressure relief valve?

Ahh OK, I have a Toyota celica which has a 2zz-GE engine does the oil pump in this car have a pressure relief valve?

Yes, all engines have some kind of oil pump pressure relief valve.

ahh ok thanks for letting me know.

im not sure what the standard oil filter bypass is set to, OEM filter is a 90915-YZZJ2

will using a filter with a much higher bypass of e.g 25psi cause engine damage?

will using a filter with a much higher bypass of e.g 25psi cause engine damage?

Not if that particular filter is specified for the vehicle. But if it's not specified for that vehicle, then it's possible that a filter with a much higher bypass valve might not open soon enough enough if it needs to open. Usually, a filter with a much higher bypass setting would be used on an engine with a much higher oil pump volume output and pressure relief setting.

If you are trying to "over size" your filter, then chose an over sized filer that has the same or very close to the same bypass setting just to be safe.

ahh yes i am trying to oversize but hard to find some in this country. i did order in a mobil 1 M1-209 which is known to work with this engine well but i only got it since some family went to florida for holiday and picked one up for me.

i can easily get a hold of Mahle filters here in the UK, which are very good build quality from what i have seen when i cut it open.
but finding a cross reference is not proving to be an easy task.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back