Using filter for 2nd oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those here that use their filter for 2 oil changes do you drain the old oil from the filter and replace the filter or just leave it in place and add fresh oil.

I leave it on. Been doing it on my chevy truck and mercury for a long time this way.

Leave the old filter on and just drain and fill the crankcase. Removing the oil filter greatly increases the risk of leaks from the seal which might also come loose.

Leave it. Less risk of decompressing and recompressing the o-ring gasket. Also,the only way to drain the filter quickly is to stick something into the adbv

on my car, the oil filter is pointing downward at an angle, so there is going to be some residual oil in the filter, but the last time I changed the oil, I left the filter alone, and judging from the dipstick readings there was not enough to change the new oil's color --guessing about an eighth of a quart; i.e., 3-4 oz.stayed in from the old fill. I don't know why all manufacturers don't have the filter pointing down so that the oil filter empties, I am sure that there are arguments either way for that.

Originally Posted By: PeterGreen
I don't know why all manufacturers don't have the filter pointing down so that the oil filter empties, I am sure that there are arguments either way for that.

It's more beneficial for the engine to have oil already in the filter at startup. That's the whole purpose of ADBVs.

Thank's guy's, I've always changed my filter when I change my oil. That's how I've done it for 56 years, I'm now using the Fram Ultra, they claim it's good to go for 15 thousand miles so thought I would change every other oil change, just wasn't sure about the old oil in the filter.

Is the old oil left behind ever an issue?

The XG9688 for the Elantra is pretty small and doesnt hold much oil, but the XG8A holds about a quart.

Would dumping that one quart of dirty oil into a 5.5 quart sump be an issue? If I was to resuse a filter, I think i would prefer a smaller one rather than an oversized one.

Don't break the o ring seal. If you take it off, you might as well replace it. There is only a few ounces of oil in there so no big deal and draining it is not necessary. Some engines have up to a quart of residual oil left inside that doesn't drain down to the pan.

gray-don-t-break-the-seal-women_design.png

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

The XG9688 for the Elantra is pretty small and doesnt hold much oil, but the XG8A holds about a quart.

Would dumping that one quart of dirty oil into a 5.5 quart sump be an issue? If I was to resuse a filter, I think i would prefer a smaller one rather than an oversized one.

The oil is depleted to a certain point, but filtered, so not dirty, IMO.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

The oil is depleted to a certain point, but filtered, so not dirty, IMO.

Fixed it.

Would dumping that one quart of depleted oil into a 5.5 quart sump be an issue? If I was to reuse a filter, I think i would prefer a smaller one rather than an oversized one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back