2005 Subaru Forester XT 5spd Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
shame to hear that, and congrats on the charger, they are excellent vehicles.

Quote:
So with the price of gas being ridiculous and my wife chewing through $80+ a week in the Expedition I figured we'd pick up something a little more economical.
Ironically, the actual replacement just happens to have a Hemi engine which is well known for its excellent fuel efficiency, eH?

Actually in the hands of a competent driver the new Gen Hemis do quite well. MDS is a nearly faultless system for most, and since the engine is extremely powerful light throttle moves you around quite well.

Many is the day my car has simply slurred around town and never turned over 2k rpm.

My 6.1 has none of the gas saving features of the 5.7 and yet has still managed an 18 mpg average across its entire life. Not too bad for a 180 mph capable automobile...

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Quote:
So with the price of gas being ridiculous and my wife chewing through $80+ a week in the Expedition I figured we'd pick up something a little more economical.
Ironically, the actual replacement just happens to have a Hemi engine which is well known for its excellent fuel efficiency, eH?

Comically enough, despite the increase in power, size and curb weight, the HEMI Charger gets better mileage than the Subaru, both in ratings and real world.

'05 Subaru Forester XT: 18/22
'06 Dodge Charger R/T: 17/25

That was one of the things we tested when we test drove it for four days. It bested the EPA mileage, averaging 26Mpg for us.

congrats on the replacement!

So many buyers these days are fooled into believing that a turbo 4 is more fuel efficient than some larger displacement NA motors. That may be true when idling. But on the open road the cars will use comparable fuel

Personally, I'd rather choose the NA larger motor. Simple to work on, fewer moving parts, and runs cooler

Actually at part throttle any turboed/SC engine tends to be more efficient than the equivalent NA engine.

There is something about ECU's in EJ255's being ultra sensitive to misfiring. It could have possibly been that as if it really was you'd know it.

Sucks though by hey they took care of ya.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
Actually at part throttle any turboed/SC engine tends to be more efficient than the equivalent NA engine.

There is something about ECU's in EJ255's being ultra sensitive to misfiring. It could have possibly been that as if it really was you'd know it.

Sucks though by hey they took care of ya.

Rand mentioned that to me when we first had the problem. The thing is, it actually DOES start to run rough when the issue presents itself, like an actual misfire. But after you clear the ECM initially, it is nice and smooth
21.gif

Not my problem anymore though. They'll probably get it sorted out eventually.

And yes, they took care of us and my wife likes the Charger better, and that's all that really matters
smile.gif

Ya my '09 actually has done it twice at idle only in the last 2 years. Clear the code and all is happy.

The previous '05 I don't recall it doing it ever but doesn't mean it doesn't.

I REALLY liked the newer rental Charger I had and I really like Magnums. I decent Magnum R/T is getting hard to find though.

Originally Posted By: buster

JTK, are you shifting at 3k> rpms? I know some people don't bring the rpms up enough to get a smoother shift. I also rev match for downshifting that works great.

Yep, I typically shift right around 2900-3100RPM. This does help some.

I think a lot of my issue with the Impreza/XV 5spd is the long clutch throw. For me, I can't just pivot my foot because of the pedal travel required. Gotta do a whole foot-lift like driving a truck.

To the OP, sorry to hear of the issues, but that was pretty decent handling by the dealer at least. You don't hear of too many Subaru dealer happy endings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back