putting oil in the filter at oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You will hear both sides on this one. I always pre-fill my oil filters before installing, you will have oil pressure that much sooner so its worth it IMO.

Sure. Won't hurt anything. You'll get pressure up a tenth of a second quicker. You're engine won't know the difference but you'll feel better.

It's up to you. I always do it. It certainly can't hurt and can only help. That being said, most people get their oil changed at quick-lube places, who I guarantee never pre-fill the filters, and those engines last over 200k miles easily. So it doesn't really matter much imo.

Yep, fill it up swirl it around let it soak in and drain.

That's all you need to do. Did it for years then during a hot day in summer I didn't want to do it in the Volvo. End up just putting the oil filter on and filling up.

Engine grind for like 2 seconds...

Originally Posted By: gregk24
You will hear both sides on this one. I always pre-fill my oil filters before installing, you will have oil pressure that much sooner so its worth it IMO.

Exactly.

I always pre-fill my oil filters before installing, you will have oil pressure that much sooner so its worth it IMO.

Quantitatively, exactly how much sooner ?

If it's worth it, it's measurable.

Do you put the potentially dirty oil straight from the bottle into the clean side of the filter (down the threaded hole part,rather than prying open the ADBV and putting it into the dirty side of the filter)...one piece of debris/swarf on the clean side of the filter could make it entirely not worth it.

That's assuming you have a filter that hangs either straight down or at least at an angle, (with the open side up). If you have a filter that mounts on the side of the engine, the oil will simply run out while you're screwing it in place.

That being said, I've pre-filled my filters for decades.

I like to pre-fill my filters but, I often still get start-up rattle after starting the engine after everything is buttoned up!

^^^This is the reason that I started pre-filling my filters with clean oil!

I guess if I do the OCI really fast and get the new filter in place, fill the engine with oil, I won't get that dreaded rattle.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
That's assuming you have a filter that hangs either straight down or at least at an angle, (with the open side up). If you have a filter that mounts on the side of the engine, the oil will simply run out while you're screwing it in place.

That being said, I've pre-filled my filters for decades.

I pre-fill filters that mount horizontally too. I just fill them about halfway instead of all the way. I can get the filter on without spilling a drop.

If you can, yes, that unpressured bearing sound is maybe why some manufacturers say go two oils changes for one filter, very bad. You don't need to measure anything to know knocking your main bearings without oil pressure is bad, the less the better. I don't know why the full flow filter is used, the filters aren't very good at filtering, and then it's right in the path to the main bearings with all the resulting issues. A bypass system seems much better.

Me too, if the design of the filter allows. Some cars have an inverted filter (like the 300E) and it can't be done.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Do you put the potentially dirty oil straight from the bottle..

I gently clean any residual debris from the interior of the filter canister and its mount/seal with compressed air prior to installation.

And I've sufficient confidence in my motor oil refiners and packagers that it's clean enough to pour straight into the sump from the bottle.
Doing so requires a certain degree of faith I'll confess.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Me too, if the design of the filter allows. Some cars have an inverted filter (like the 300E) and it can't be done.

The filter on my Subaru is inverted (threads down) and I do it without making a mess.

All good conversation I have often wondered about this topic now I bought my 1st F-150 ecoboost I am trying to be more digulent about maintenance.

Ahh the debate continues.
smile.gif

I used to; but now with Amsoil filters, the synthetic media doesn't hold the oil like the Wix and other filters did, it just runs out so now...no.

All of our filters are Vertical with NO angle. Except for our 5.4L 3V.

I have always filled the Vertical filters up at least 3/4 full before install.

It takes about 40 seconds of my day! Then install and Smile! Then clean up mess and take off coveralls and wash hands then start up and drive around the block. Then check for leaks! No other Worries!

This is how I was showed by my grandfather and father 40 some years ago. Many of our autos had over 400K miles on them before selling. So It never hurt anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back