iPhone 5s or 6? What say you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
I know, some people are going to probably jump all over me, but it seems if you are willing to pay that much for a phone... maybe your priorities are in the wrong place.

Where should his priorities be?

I wasn't speaking of anyone specifically. Of course everyones situation is different, and some people use their phone as their computer.. in that case I can see having a more expensive phone. But my computer didn't even cost half of what some of these phones cost!!

I still want to know where you're getting a free smart phone.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Originally Posted By: d00df00d

What truly, ESSENTIAL things can this do vs a free smart phone?

Very little. What's your point?

That's EXACTLY my point
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I know, some people are going to probably jump all over me, but it seems if you are willing to pay that much for a phone... maybe your priorities are in the wrong place.

Where should his priorities be?

I wasn't speaking of anyone specifically. Of course everyones situation is different, and some people use their phone as their computer.. in that case I can see having a more expensive phone. But my computer didn't even cost half of what some of these phones cost!!

On a forum where so many members fully support and advocate free choice in computing, it struck me as odd to read a criticism of someone's choice...in, um, computing.
smile.gif
Just pokin' fun.

Gotta love the holier than thou.

I'm gonna blow your mind...

I have two smartphones. A work provided iPhone 4S and a personal Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

I'm also looking for two smartphones, one Android one iOS. Best of both worlds.

Just priced out a space gray iPhone 6 plus with 64gb. $849 unlocked. But none available for pick up and 3-4 weeks delivery.

And don't worry, I am pumping in huge amounts of money into my retirement
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I still want to know where you're getting a free smart phone.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

What truly, ESSENTIAL things can this do vs a free smart phone?

Very little. What's your point?

That's EXACTLY my point
laugh.gif

People leave them everywhere!
wink.gif
j/k

I got a driod refurb for $50 from Verizon in the past which also had a $50 rebate (plus tons of options if you don't need the latest tech when you renew/extend a contract - I have to use VZW for the best service here)

for more apples to apples comparison
wink.gif
how about the new Moto G2 vs iPhone 6? $179 vs $850? off-contract?

I've always bought "lagging" tech and saved $$ on each purchase and have never come close to using all the tech available in a phone. I think its just something that the industry has done a great job of making people think that they need an expensive phone, and a new version of it every year. How ever did people survive in the previous decades?

The moto g is a great phone. Dollar for dollar, probably unrivaled. But for me tech is a hobby. So I like playing with cutting edge gadgets.

How people spend their money on entertainment is their business. Some people ski, others hunt, others collect wine or visit various microbreweries. Who is to say how a person should spend their money on stuff they enjoy? I don't drink, play golf, or have cable TV so I'm pretty sure my total discretionary spending is below six pack Joe's. The only safe way to.lecture somebody is if you know their specific circumstance.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
The only safe way to.lecture somebody is if you know their specific circumstance.

Disagree.

There is exactly one condition that makes a lecture acceptable, and that's if someone explicitly asks for it.

I'm griping in general - those who know that buying the latest tech is a hobby/entertainment and not a necessity are fine by me, if that's how they wish to spend extra cash.

I've always been irked by Apple charging $100 for $5 worth of extra [internal, non-removable/expandable] storage, though. Shows me where their priorities are.

I also use an iphone (4s - 16GB), but I agree about the crazy price difference between iphone models - WTH?

Luckily, storage is NOT a big deciding factor for me, as the amount of music i have on my phone is small, and it pretty much never grows. (about 3-4 GB), I hardly use the phone as a camera and have only a few pics on it. (wifey does use the camera more often, but even she has never run out of space, AFAIK)

Same with apps. we have a normal amount, but will never have so many that I will run out of space, so I can and will always go for the smallest iphone.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
I also use an iphone (4s - 16GB), but I agree about the crazy price difference between iphone models - WTH?

Luckily, storage is NOT a big deciding factor for me, as the amount of music i have on my phone is small, and it pretty much never grows. (about 3-4 GB), I hardly use the phone as a camera and have only a few pics on it. (wifey does use the camera more often, but even she has never run out of space, AFAIK)

Same with apps. we have a normal amount, but will never have so many that I will run out of space, so I can and will always go for the smallest iphone.

Agreed.

I always get the 16GB versions of what I buy (phones and tablets) and that's why I get Android stuff so if I really need more space, it's just a microSD away.

My wife has an iPhone 5 and that fills up regularly with pictures because it's her primary camera, but there is a rather simple thing you can do to help that, plug it in, move the older pictures off and then delete them from the phone.

Yep - that's what my wife does, too. She just moves pics to a folder on her laptop that she has created and empties it periodically.
I tend to use my Nikon D40 on while on trips/for occasions, and only take a few candid / simple pics with my iphone to use on FB occasionally.
You CAN take some decent pics with the iphone if you put some effort into it, but like i said, none of those pics are 'critical'.

I just placed an order for the iPhone 6 to replace my 5s. I upgrade every year and sell the old phone. Make a nice profit each time!

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb

How people spend their money on entertainment is their business. Some people ski, others hunt, others collect wine or visit various microbreweries. Who is to say how a person should spend their money on stuff they enjoy? I don't drink, play golf, or have cable TV so I'm pretty sure my total discretionary spending is below six pack Joe's. The only safe way to.lecture somebody is if you know their specific circumstance.

I just wanted to say that I agree 100%. I don't agree with the way some of my friends spend their money, and I'm sure they don't always agree with the way that I spend my money. To each their own though.

I picked up my 6 this evening and just finished my setup.

First impressions:

I already find myself using two hands more often to type.

In some ways, the phone looks more generic. iPhones have always looked like iPhones. There have always been telltale details that gave away that it was an Apple product. The 6 doesn't have many distinguishing design features.

In other ways, the phone is hyper premium. The round-over on the edge of the glass that extends onto the shape of the side and continues onto the back is beautiful. The materials, fit, and finish compares with everything I expect from an Apple product.

Touch ID doesn't work well when you have no fingerprints. I recently had a bout with an illness that caused severe blistering on my hands and feet. All of the skin on my fingertips peeled off, leaving very fresh skin and little fingerprint ridge detail. I had a 5 previously, so Touch ID is new for me.

Family Sharing in iOS 8 is awesome! I can't begin to say how much of a course correction this is for my family who have used a single iTunes account since the beginning. It took about 30 minutes to really get all our devices on the level, but it was so worth it.

Slow-motion video is fun. First thing I did was ask my wife to jump up and down to test the slow-mo. Yes, I still think like a 15 year old.

My wife is a photo junkie. Between her apps, the kids apps, and the photos she takes, I was emptying pictures on a weekly basis... sometimes even more often. We got 64GB versions. I always balked at the $100 price jump from 16 to 32GB, but $100 for the 16 to 64GB jump is more tolerable.

Thanks for the impressions - I might go and look at a demo tomorrow.
Looking more generic BUT actually being classy is fine with me. That's exactly what I want
smile.gif
As long as *I* know that the product is well built, i don't care if it stands out or not.

[censored] - space is gonna be a problem though.
My 16GB 4s can't even update to ios8, not enough space !
i have only like 350 songs and deleted ALL pics, STILL not enough space left for ios8.
So is 16GB iphone 6 gonna be enough at all? I guess i do have some apps I don't use ... can delete those for sure.

I wish they had kept the 32GB size, 64GB of course costs $100 extra.
smirk.gif
annoying, a bit....

^ and of course, I didn't know that ios8 was such a space hog until this morning; hence my previous post that I am perfectly ok with the 16GB size.

I still might go for the 16GB iphone6 and just get rid of old stores text message and unused apps.

Finally got to see a 6 in the flesh.

Very nice, very thin, but to me very big. Too big. About the size of an old handheld calculator.

Very glad we got the 5s.

Other than the payment feature, they both worked equally quickly and I didn't think the 5s was a step down, just smaller. The build quality was equal. The screen quality appeared equal. The 6 frankly looked more like a Samsung than an Apple, for those into that stuff.

It's all one big technology treadmill anyway. Next year, we'll get the hype all over again with the next "best iphone ever." I'm sure I could live with a 3gs if need be.

For folks having problems updating a 4s to ios8, many are updating via itunes to reduce the install footprint. Our 4s updated no problem. The 4s does not support continuity, so no phone calls to/from your pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back