Purolator is listening

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 more points:

How Purolator could help themselves is to send everyone here who is interested free filters for their next changes for field testing and ask for them to be sent back within the next x months. That would be a more sizeable sample, over more quickly, and good PR.

I suspect that they may have found the problem, are confident the latest filters are ok, do not see any need to placate bitog members, and have sent the OP 3 filters for goodwill. But they simply don't have anyone with the time or interest to do much else with this little site.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
As mentioned earlier, if Purolator conducted lab testing on a design/material change, then they could test to the most extreme use cases possible and verify it will hold up no matter who uses their filters.

I'm not really sure what Purolator's real intention is with HangFire.

I agree. The timeframe is not acceptable if they are really troubleshooting.

Hence he should just open the filters for himself to satisfy himself. Still can send the filter in afterwards, good or bad.

As mentioned earlier, if Purolator conducted lab testing on a design/material change, then they could test to the most extreme use cases possible and verify it will hold up no matter who uses their filters.

Really....
33.gif
Obviously the OP was persistent and kept in touch with them; and as such they are now trying to make this right. There is no doubt in my mind that there must have been a few bad production runs (a point I have always maintained,) they made some corrections and are sending him the new and improved filters to use in an application that has been known to cause previous failures. Sounds to me like they are doing a good job, and I commend them for actually doing something about it. They could have told him to go pound salt, but it sounds like they took it seriously, got on this thread (obviously) and may have now fixed the problem.
Should it have been done sooner? Perhaps, but we have to remember that all of this outreach must be filtered through a den of corporate lawyers. When that happens, everything moves more slowly than we would like! Plus the time it must have taken time for research and development, testing, evaluation etc.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14

Hence he should just open the filters for himself to satisfy himself. Still can send the filter in afterwards, good or bad.

^^^^ Advice to be avoided OP.

^^^ LOL, do you really think that just because HangFire uses some supposed "new model" Purolators (which can't be verified at all) and they don't tear, that the testing program is over and Purolator is ready to launch the new design to the public? You have obviously never worked in a job where design and testing is done in the right way on production products.

If Purolator had done all the testing in a lab with the right equipment, they wouldn't have to "verify" the design on some customer's car. They would have qualified the filter design through robust testing methods to ensure it could take all the abuse it would see on a normal road vehicle.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
I got to the party late...darn the bad luck. Hangfire, I think that they are actually doing a great thing by not only acknowlidging the failures, but sending new filters and trying to make this whole thing right. Dont worry, using their filters are not going to make you a "shill"
smirk.gif

I dont think you should expect much as to an explanation as to why the filters were failing, remember that they are handling this as carefully as their legal department will allow. I would continue to use their filters, and keep on moving down the road.
thumbsup2.gif

I didn't see in the OP where they acknowledged anything. I wish they would and confirm that it has been corrected. Even if they don't want to go into detail it would be enough to satisfy me.

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
I got to the party late...darn the bad luck. Hangfire, I think that they are actually doing a great thing by not only acknowlidging the failures, but sending new filters and trying to make this whole thing right. Dont worry, using their filters are not going to make you a "shill"
smirk.gif

I dont think you should expect much as to an explanation as to why the filters were failing, remember that they are handling this as carefully as their legal department will allow. I would continue to use their filters, and keep on moving down the road.
thumbsup2.gif

I didn't see in the OP where they acknowledged anything. I wish they would and confirm that it has been corrected. Even if they don't want to go into detail it would be enough to satisfy me.

I understand your point. And it is valid. I believe that the "guilt" is implied by the way they are dealing with him. They wouldn't go through all this (weeks-months later) if their wasn't some understood or implied understanding that there was, in fact, an issue. Yes it would be nice to get a press release or some official statement, but who knows, maybe it is coming eventually?
21.gif

There is nothing that says these "test" filters sent to HangFire are improved in any way. Like I said, the intentions that Purolator has with HangFire are completely nebulous.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Are these filters some kind of upgraded improved filter, or the same filters people have been having problems with? Thanks!

Nothing special or upgraded that I know of.

There is nothing that says these "test" filters sent to HangFire are improved in any way. Like I said, the intentions that Purolator has with HangFire are completely nebulous.

Are these filters some kind of upgraded improved filter, or the same filters people have been having problems with? Thanks!

Everything at this point is speculation. We will see in time.

Everything at this point is speculation. We will see in time.

I would really like to see Purolator get back on track and show with some kind of acknowledgement of statement that they've fixed the problem.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: mcrn
Will they pay for an engine if it did have a catastrophic failure? I know unlikely but I would want to know the answer to that ahead of time before I provided them my car as a test mule.

How is a tear in an oil filter going to cause catastrophic failure? It's not an ideal situation, but it isn't going to cause the engine to lose oil pressure. A tear is no different than the filter going into bypass.
Oh, no, not true at all. EVERY Purolator failure has caused seized cylinder rings, burned valves, blown seals, buckled pushrods, galled lifters and god only knows how much other mayhem. Especially for people who've never used a Purolator filter in their lives.

Not trying to jump on the hate bandwagon here.

Regardless of what damage a busted filter may or may not cause; if I pay for a working filter, I had better get a working filter.

The name of the company is literally Pure-Oil-Later. They invented the oil filter. Give me the [censored] filter I paid for, period.

And that has got to be tempting, but you cant do it OP! You could always ask if they will give you the results back though. Maybe they will, you never know!

I can do anything I like with the filters, but I wouldn't have bothered if they didn't offer to share the results with me. That means sending them back uncut. It's that data I'm after. Everything else is fluff.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14

This is what I'd do.

I cant think of any company that asks a consumer to be a testbed for an existing product
Can anyone on here?
This does not sound right to me

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I cant think of any company that asks a consumer to be a testbed for an existing product
Can anyone on here?
This does not sound right to me

I wish Ferrari would send me a car to test out for a year or so.
grin.gif

"Sorry our tested and approved production model failed on you. So hey, since your engine already has been subjected to a faulty product, let's show you how much we care by sending you more of our product to put on your engine, and see what happens? Great! On its way!"

May be the first sane post I've read thus far. Tin foil hats for everyone...

Originally Posted By: sxg6
Can't believe some of the stuff written in this thread. People calling him a guinea pig and saying what if his engine blows?
crazy2.gif

Hangfire, it's good to hear that purolator got back to you and they're hooking you up with a few free filters and analyses. I highly doubt the filters will be flawed or defective in any way that could cost you your engine. Please keep us posted.

By the way, I know it's tempting, but I wouldn't mess with the filters to try and get an inside look.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back