Strange new noise 01 Olds Aurora struts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been fighting a constant battle with the wife's 2001 Olds Aurora and after replacing the front struts with Monroe "Quick Struts" and getting an alignment I have noticed a NEW noise, one that sounds...ominous.

Intermittent during driving, most prominently between 15-55mph (have not noticed it on the freeway yet) there is a squeaking scraping type noise coming from the front end. Doesn't change pitch with speed of vehicle or with speed of engine and does not seem effected by lateral/turning loads. May or may not be affected by accel/decal with a slight increase in volume when coasting as compared to holding a steady speed and I cannot hear it readily over the original 2001 exhaust during acceleration.

Couple points of interest:
-both rear hubs very recently (under 2k miles) replaced with el cheapo parts store units
-front passenger hub replaced with Raybestos Pro Grade at about the same time
-front suspension is tight and all within spec
-both cv joints/shafts are original with 130k-140k on them
-accessory drive was thoroughly saturated with power steering fluid due to a LONG TIME leak that was just recently repaired
-PSF level is good, as are all over fluids
-front brakes are in decent shape with freely moving pistons and slide pins
-intermediate steering shaft has famous creak at the moment.

My first thought was a pulley going bad, but it doesn't change with engine speed. Second thought was a hub failing early or the driver front finally going out but it does not change when turning side to side. I would REALLY like to figure this out ASAP as if its a hub I want to swap it out before the warranty is up- any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
you may have evil spirits in your ride..............I once found 2 midgets in my oilpan hammering....

I believe you may be correct, CourierDriver! This car is non-stop repairs...

I have yet to experience a bad CV joint as this is the first FWD car I've owned/maintained could that be a presentation?

Originally Posted By: buck91

I have yet to experience a bad CV joint as this is the first FWD car I've owned/maintained could that be a presentation?

I have owned a few rides that had similar quirks, they last forever, just take some nerve tablets, or sell it...imho

Originally Posted By: buck91

As a general rule a CV will make a rhythmic 'clicking' noise at full lock. When the joint pops you lose drive (with an open diff - LSDs may or may not maintain drive depending on the type of diff)

It's a 14 year old car. It's going to make some noises. Just drive it and don't worry about it. The list price is probably 4000 dollars on it and you're trying to figure out how to spend 1-2000 on it.

I had an 01 Aurora 4.0. Nice car and was ahead of anything else GM made at the time as far as interior, styling and overall performance. I hate I sold it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back