Apple stops unlocking devices for police

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
In fact, I don't know anybody that doesn't use iCloud if they have an iPhone.

I don't use iCloud for anything. Not to my knowledge, anyway. I don't not use iCloud because of security reasons...I don't use it because iCloud backups seem to be pretty resource-intensive and eat up data/battery when I really don't see a benefit to it.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
In fact, I don't know anybody that doesn't use iCloud if they have an iPhone.

I don't use iCloud for anything. Not to my knowledge, anyway. I don't not use iCloud because of security reasons...I don't use it because iCloud backups seem to be pretty resource-intensive and eat up data/battery when I really don't see a benefit to it.
I don't use iCloud either because I don't trust the NSA.

Fair enough. But do you guys sync your phone to your computer? The police can still get a warrant for your computer. Do you use apps that sync to a cloud? Gmail, Dropbox, onedrive, etc?

Also, I think cloud usage will likely increase over time. That is where the trend is headed so encrypting a phone is going to become less and less relevant overtime.

Dude you're a broken record. We get it, smartphones and their use still aren't 100% secured. If .gov wants your info bad enough they'll most likely get it. We can slow down the pedestrian attempts to get access to our stuff however.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Skid
"In many cases, he points out, the cops can still grab and offload sensitive data from your locked iPhone without Apple’s help, even in iOS 8. All they need, he says, is your powered-on phone and access to a computer you’ve previously used to move data onto and off of it."

http://www.wired.com/2014/09/apple-iphone-security/

There are few police departments that have the routine capability to do this. It actually requires a warrant and a subpoena to the host. Without it we can't get it from a locked phone. Now, larger departments say NYPD operating under the guise of the most heinous act of my time, Patriot Act, may take such actions without warrant.

What WAS routinely done was the use of software to download the phones contact #'s and dialed numbers and received numbers and run the digits against through the data base. These were mostly local databases used by NARCO investigators in house. These weren't shared with state intell centers.

Post Supreme Court decision this practice is over. Few weeks ago, serious stabbing, we have 2 of the reported phones from the defendant found in his car. 1 is a known number of his...warrant written and approved by judge to search all content. 2nd we could not draw a strong enough correlation to the defendant, we know it's his but can't prove it....warrant denied.

That is how it is suppose to work. Cops want to get into your shixx's they have to be smarter and find the right way to do it.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT

That is how it is suppose to work. Cops want to get into your shixx's they have to be smarter and find the right way to do it.

Exactly.

Most info would probably still be through you service provider right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back