Getting the cars rust proofed on the 27th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bradepb
I live in Michigan and I didn't think think people still got there cars rustproofed when new let alone every year?
I don't even know where you would have it done and it certainly does not seem needed. We used to have our fleet vehicles done when new 20 or 30 years ago but after awhile decided it was not cost effective anymore.
Modern autos start rusting here after about 10 years and don't get real bad till long after that. My 2004 Malibu has 110,000 miles and no rust after 10 Michigan winters. It will be long gone by the time rust is an issue!
Under coating is done on our school buses in our fleet but really seems to cause more problems with moisture getting trapped underneath it somehow and also makes them a filthy mess to work on.

Around me, cars at the 8-10 year old mark are showing perforation. I've battled enough rust related issues before to want to slow down the process as much as I reasonably can.

It'll be warm on Sunday. I may use up my last 7 cans of Fluid Film on both cars then. Both are pretty well coated from previous years, so this would go onto/into the rockers, wheel wells, and other high-wash areas.

I just had my '00 Impala LS oil sprayed at Carwell 2 weeks ago for the 3rd time now. The tech noticed my rocker panels did not have holes drilled in them and asked if it was ok to drill and spray there. I said do it and my other drilled holes have ZERO rust around them. To me, drilling is necessary to get to those tight spots. 231,000 miles and I have almost no rust on the car.

On a side note, I went to Schmidt's collision last year and had their product applied to the same car and although it was very thick (looked and felt like Vaseline jelly), I had to work on my driver's door speaker and the interior of the door had 2 small glops of product on the bottom seam and that was it. The Carwell treatment had a fog mist coming from around the top of the door weather stripping when their wand was in there. I know the doors are treated everywhere after seeing that.

I've bought a few cans of Fluid Film and applied it to door hinges, lock mechanisms and anything that moves because that product seems to hold it viscosity over the course of a year. I also use it over Carwell on brake line brackets and places where salt water is more forced into. I'm not bashing Schmidts, but maybe their spray guy was new? Carwell has done good to me. My '00 Silverado has almost no rust either with 251,000 miles. I touch up as needed year round so that might have something to do to it as well.
Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
redhat,

I've been there (Broadway) and watched them do several cars.
Never had them do my vehicle, but I'd have no problem having it done there.

Years ago, I started going to Schmidts Collision (Transit & Broadway).
What they spray on is a lot thicker (but does creep).

My conclusion is: if done yearly, either place is good (same price).

If your ever near Schmitts Collision, check out their product.

I have so much of that stuff under my vehicle now that I only do yearly touch-ups.
I use Fluid Film for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back