Oil for someone with rather severe driving habits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
Vehicle in question is an '02 wrangler 4.0, 5sp manual.

It's not my car, just in charge of the maintenance. The driver drives really spiritedly all the time. High revs, high load even with a cold motor. UOA looked good despite this. However... What all can I do to aid in protecting the engine? Or is there really nothing besides good oil?

Change it regularly. It probably won't even know the "abuse".... That's how I treated my first car, 1986 Mustang 2.3. 2 throttle positions idle and at the floor. "Warm up" was a 2k fast idle on the carb. After that it was go time, warm, cold, ice cold.

At 175k she would start right up, idle like a kitten, and run to the "redline". There was no redline, the tach stopped at 6k and even at the floor you just lost "power" as it approached it.

I know, I made some of you vomit in your mouths. But, really even yesterday's engines were fine with this "abuse".

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Beating on it when cold - severe
Tracking it - severe
"Spirited driving"? - if oil is hot I don't consider as severe.

You don't consider high throttle driving, shifting at 4k on a motor with a 5k redline as part of everyday driving severe?

The driver is *very* hard on vehicles as a whole. I've tried to teach many times but she sees cars as a consumable, doesn't think or care about "care and feeding."

As to letting the motor warm up... I agree. But as I said, can't change that. I'm just trying to provide an environment where the damages/wear in this sort of scenario are minimized

Shifting at 4k as severe? High throttle driving? No. In reality what percent of the time is the engine spending under these conditions? How about WOT up a 6% incline for miles pulling a heavy trailer. Thats severe because of sustained higher rpms for a long time likely getting the oil pretty hot. Just because engine is at high rpms it doesnt automatically mean severe.

Use Castrol 0w30 or any 0w40. Skip the oil additives.
Don't forget to take care of the PSF, MTF, ATF, and gear oils.

Shifting @ under 2k RPMs is impossible in the Camry...well not imPOSSIBLE, and I could...but not comfortably (cars tailgating off stop signs and red lights)....

I suppose the A/T shifts at 2k or so, but I didn't buy the M/T to drive it like an A/T...Don't know what the torque curve/range is in the Wrangler...but still...

Once rolled out of the driveway (after a minute or so), I shift the Kitacam @ 3500k out of 1st and 2nd, 3k RPMs from 3rd to 4th....
Once warm, I up those RPMs to by 500 RPMs....this on a 6k redline, NOT a 5k RPM redline, if that matters...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back