My last L14610 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sprite1741
If purolaters are only rated for 3k miles then they are an inferior product not suited to a modern engine. I thought puro said to follow the manufactures recommended oci, not jiffy lubes. If they spec a filter for an engine, it should last the duration of the manufacturers recommendations. I followed the GM oci on mine and the pure 1 still ripped.

Exactly ... anyone who thinks Purolators are only rated or good for for 3K oil changes is just flat wrong and don't really understand the use statement directly from Purolator about their filters.

If purolaters are only rated for 3k miles then they are an inferior product not suited to a modern engine. I thought puro said to follow the manufactures recommended oci, not jiffy lubes. If they spec a filter for an engine, it should last the duration of the manufacturers recommendations. I followed the GM oci on mine and the pure 1 still ripped.
OEM interval recommendations are ridiculous and full of marketing. If you're using a P-Classic and you run it past 3K, you're doing it wrong. YES, a few have ripped before 3K but not many (and not the model number I use). And yes, I know some of you want to stretch your OCI to levels I think are absurd, and knock yourselves out but if you use a p-Classic for a 6000 mi OFI, you're probably doing it wrong. As Mr. Natural says, use the right tool for the job.

I'll never be sold on extended intervals, but if you're going to do it, spend the money for stuff rated for such an interval. If you use a $3 filter for a 10K interval, you're going to be very disappointed. Think about what you're doing.

LOL ... suddenly it's 1968. Purolator and other filter manufactures make their filters last at least as long as the OEM spec (they even say so - see below), which is based on the OCI specified by the car manufacturer. Newer cars are calling for 5000 ~ 7500 OCIs, and Honda and others even specify the filter to be used for 2x OCIs under non-server driving conditions, which could push the FCI out to 10K ~ 15K miles.

"Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer."

The "3,000 miles or 3 months" statement is a basic CYA for guys who don't go by the vehicle manufacturer's specification, and for dudes still living in 1968, LOL.
grin.gif

But I will agree that I would feel "more comfortable" using an aftermarket filter that is advertised for longer OCIs. But also keep in mind that the OEM filters from the dealers are designed to match the OCI specs laid out by the manufacturer. So the OEM Honda filter better also be able to take 2x OCIs without much problem.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
LOL ... suddenly it's 1968. Purolator and other filter manufactures make their filters last at least as long as the OEM spec (they even say so - see below), which is based on the OCI specified by the car manufacturer. Newer cars are calling for 5000 ~ 7500 OCIs, and Honda and others even specify the filter to be used for 2x OCIs under non-server driving conditions, which could push the FCI out to 10K ~ 15K miles.

"Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer."

The "3,000 miles or 3 months" statement is a basic CYA for guys who don't go by the vehicle manufacturer's specification, and for dudes still living in 1968, LOL.
grin.gif

But I will agree that I would feel "more comfortable" using an aftermarket filter that is advertised for longer OCIs. But also keep in mind that the OEM filters from the dealers are designed to match the OCI specs laid out by the manufacturer. So the OEM Honda filter better also be able to take 2x OCIs without much problem.

You're very young, aren't you?

Originally Posted By: telecat
OEM interval recommendations are ridiculous and full of marketing.

What? The engine manufacturer is wrong, and all these modern oils haven't improved over the years. Or maybe one filter manufacturer hasn't kept up.

Actually,I could be older than you ... but for certain I keep up and understand the advancements in technology.

OEM interval recommendations are ridiculous and full of marketing.

What? The engine manufacturer is wrong, and all these modern oils haven't improved over the years. Or maybe one filter manufacturer hasn't kept up.
If you believe the manufacturers, I've got swamp land in southern Arizona for sale.

Actually,I could be older than you ... but for certain I keep up and understand the advancements in technology.
If you don't qualify for Social Security, you're not.

Yeah, I guess all manufactures are complete lairs about their specs and products. You do know companies can get sued these days for making false claims these days.

Yeah, I guess all manufactures are complete ***lairs*** about their specs and products.

emma.gif

Not necessarily liars, but misleading and exaggerating, you bet.

Quote:
You do know companies can get sued these days for making false claims these days.

Sure, if the plaintiff has deep pockets. How many of those do you think there are?

Last edited:
I'm sure the hole automobive indestry has fooled everone (exept you it seams) for the last 30 years.

^ I hope that either your hangover will be worth it or you're just trying to bait telecat

11.gif
... chears mateie. Have a bruszki on me. Lets see sum more cutts and postes. Someones gotta have some low milage Puralaters low laying around that they could cut open to see if they are in good shape or not.
grin.gif

Most people are very very gullible. They don't like to think for themselves. Why do you think there are so many posts on various and sundry fora, from BITOG to electric guitar fora, asking "What's the BEST XXXXX?"

Why are those questions asked? Because it's easier to do that than to DTOFDW and decide for themselves what will work best for them.

They, like you, flit from product to product, like the sardines in the shallows of Tortola, changing direction with each shift of the water direction. When you learn to think for yourself, you'll be a lot better off.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
^ I hope that either your hangover will be worth it or you're just trying to bait telecat
He's like that all the time. It's the status quo.

Im still waiting fore the list of lies that telly clames.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
He's like that all the time. It's the status quo.

Looks like you've driven him to the bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back