Honda A01 CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: David1
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The FRAM ULTRA is a great oil filter but its made for many engines.. Who knows if the bypass is the exact factory spec.

Fram wouldn't specify the Ultra for your car if the filter's design specs didn't work for your car. The aftermarket filter makers warranty the filter, and typically say it "meets or exceeds OEM specifications". Same holds true with any oil filter specified for a vehicle.

Well 2 differet sizes FRAM ULTRAs fit my car.. the 7317 and 3593A
So are are both them the same?

Also I like FRAM OIL FILTERS.... I think they are great and are best bang for the buck.

However Personally if I can get A01s with no problem, I would use the A01s
however they are harder to find then going to wallymart and paying 8$ for a FRAM ULTRA or 6$ for a FRAM TOUGH GAURD... So I have no problem with FRAM.

However if Walmart had HONDA FILTECH A01s there for 5$ I would get the A01s, I bet many would.

Also what I like about the Honda Oil filter is the Gasket... Its D shaped... I have seen or read that the D shaped gasket is better then the Regular...

also the D shaped gasket on the A01 and even A02 dont come off easy like 99% of the Gaskets on other oil filters.

Again... I like FRAM Ultra.. Not bashing FRAM.....

As long as both of the filters are actually recommended by Fram in their catalog I wouldn't worry about it. Fitting and recommended are two different things entirely.

Last edited:
Talking about "oil flow" in an oil filter, an oil filter's flow resistance is typically only about 1/15th that of the engine's oiling circuit. The flow restrictiveness of the filter is basically invisible with a positive displacement oil pump. As long as the oil pump is not in pressure relief mode, all volume leaving the pump will go through the filter and engine oiling circuit.

The only time the flow restrictiveness of an oil filter would cause a change in the oil flow volume to the filter/engine is when the oil pump is in pressure relief. With hot oil, the might happen at near red line, but if you're not racing your car at very high RPM you will never hit oil pump pressure relief with hot/thin oil. Most vehicles won't even hit oil pump pressure relief at red line, depending on the oil viscosity used, and the performance of the oil pump.

That's why 99% of the time, any good brand filter's flow vs delta-p performance is not worth worrying about.

Originally Posted By: asharris7
So why do you run expensive Honda blends?

Because I got 5 quarts for $9.00 out the door...thats why =)

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Now thats a pretty good deal.. Honda Oil is Exxon I think.

Talking about "oil flow" in an oil filter, an oil filter's flow resistance is typically only about 1/15th that of the engine's oiling circuit. The flow restrictiveness of the filter is basically invisible with a positive displacement oil pump. As long as the oil pump is not in pressure relief mode, all volume leaving the pump will go through the filter and engine oiling circuit.

The only time the flow restrictiveness of an oil filter would cause a change in the oil flow volume to the filter/engine is when the oil pump is in pressure relief. With hot oil, the might happen at near red line, but if you're not racing your car at very high RPM you will never hit oil pump pressure relief with hot/thin oil. Most vehicles won't even hit oil pump pressure relief at red line, depending on the oil viscosity used, and the performance of the oil pump.

That's why 99% of the time, any good brand filter's flow vs delta-p performance is not worth worrying about.

wait wait wait... What about very cold weather?

Dont the bypass valve help in cold weather? When the oil is just to thick to pass the filter?

I know b/c I grew up in Michigan and it would be - 20 Degress in the morning So Im sure that oil when the car was started must of went through the bypass.

Dont some cars even have a built in bypass for that very reason????

I thought it was a Conoco/Phillips product like Motorcraft?

wait wait wait... What about very cold weather?

Dont the bypass valve help in cold weather? When the oil is just to thick to pass the filter?

I know b/c I grew up in Michigan and it would be - 20 Degress in the morning So Im sure that oil when the car was started must of went through the bypass.

Dont some cars even have a built in bypass for that very reason????

The oil pump's pressure relief valve and the filter's bypass valve are two completely different valves, and they work independently from each other.

Yes, the filter's bypass valve is there to bypass oil around the media when the delta-p gets too high across the filter. But even if the filter bypass valve is open, and the oil pump is not in pressure relief, there will still be the same oil flow going through the filter and engine oiling circuit.

This is all due to the operating characteristics of a positive displacement oil pump ... that is the key to the discussion.

No, Honda's current oil manufacturer is Conoco Phillips.

Honda is CoP

Your correct

In a nutshell, Exxon-Mobil (XOM) was Honda's supplier for its bottled oil products for years. Approximately eight or nine months ago, XOM lost its contract to ConocoPhillips (one word)(COP).

Isnt that the same as SuperTech as you see at Walmart???? Conoco Phillips... Correct?

So if correct.... Honda Genuine Oils has the same supplier as Walmart Supertech oil?

I think Honda should of stayed with XOM.... however $/ Money is the bottom line.

Looks a lot like a Denso, like the one they show a cutaway of on their website. The Toyota version has a nitrile valve. In spite of Amsoil's rating, I still use them sometimes. I would need to see another test or two to confirm the Toyota filter has such low efficiency. I think Toyota knows enough about engineering by now to spec the right flow/filtration balance. I assume filtech and denso make these independently, but they look a lot alike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back