2014 Toyota Tundra

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many have 200k plus on the clock?

Initial quality is good. But what is their long term outlook?

Many from my experience. Ever heard of the 1 million mile Silverado? Look it up. Its still running as far as I know. GM gave him a brand new truck free when they heard about it. It lasted through years of abuse through the Wisconsin winters. After the gentlemen reached the milestone he put it up for sale, so Im sure someone has bought it by now.

I know a few people that have Silverado 5.3's with 200-300K miles with nothing but regular maintenance. The 5.3L is a proven engine. Bottom line is if you take care of your vehicle Most of the time it will take care of you. However, IDK if id buy a Suzuki lol.

You really can't go wrong with either of the trucks mentioned here. Dodge, Ford, GM, Toyota. I just think Toyota really needs to step it up to differentiate themselves.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
How many have 200k plus on the clock?

Initial quality is good. But what is their long term outlook?

I know I would be very disappointed in any of our Silverados that didn't make it to 200k miles. We sell them when their repair history indicates to us they are aging badly.

My personal one is an 05 with just shy of 150k miles. All original under the hood except battery. Other than that it is regular wear items only and regular maintenance by OLM. No knocks, quiet as a mouse, cold AC, never has used a drop of oil even out to nearly 12k miles OCI when it was driven highway miles for a while.

I've had one weak engine (died at 170k miles) in the last 25 years in my fleet. I can't see how GM could make a bad truck, unless you just get a lemon, as we beat them mercilessly...

Exactly. I would not be happy if I got less than 200k. But how many have gotten there, so as to say that bullet proof? Last I knew, the trans was all of what, two years old?

Originally Posted By: JHL88
I just think Toyota really needs to step it up to differentiate themselves.

I personally think they're a little "too differentiated" already. Especially the earlier version of the current generation, when the interior looked like this:

2010-toyota-tundra-interior-ewfwscon.jpg

In my opinion, there's too much going on there, visually. I just don't like it. I don't care for the current Sienna's interior either. Too many distractions for what I prefer. I like a fluid cabin design, an understated look that doesn't distract my attention from the task at hand: driving.

The 2014's interior, or whenever it was changed from above, looks a little more conservative, and is a step in the right direction in my opinion. It looks very much like the F-150 to me.

Tundra:

2014-toyota-tundra-interior-kkd7xzdt.jpg

F-150:

img_8746.jpg

I'd personally choose either the Chevy or the Ram over either the Ford or Toyota, but I do think Toyota is heading in the right direction.

I like the gauges on the '14 Tundra better, but IMO they all are too busy in general. Or too flashy. I also dislike the flat spot in the dash, where it looks like you can put things. But can't, or at least shouldn't.

One thing I like in mine is that I can rest my wrist on the column gearshift and work the radio. After a decade of my Jetta I have not been able to adapt to the different placement of controls in my Toyotas. Otoh the dash dimmer is hidden behind the steering wheel, and I always have to feel around for it. The dash is always backlit, but it dims if I put on the lights. Which means I can't read anything if I have my sunglasses on, or it is still relatively bright out.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I don't like the part time four wheel drive system. It desperately needs an unlock/lock in the transfer case. Outside of front diff/steering rack/water pumps problems it is the thing I dislike most on my truck. Oh, well that and the odd/tall tires it takes. (But I guess the days of cheap tires are gone.)

Last edited:
I like the gauges on the '14 Tundra better, but IMO they all are too busy in general. Or too flashy.

I agree. Trucks are becoming more "Tonka" by the day. I like the PREVIOUS generation Tundra better than any of the newer models. Simple, let informative. Understated and not showy. I've driven a 2006 mdoel a few times and the interior is very ergonomic.

14762d1160169579-metallic-dash-accents-06tundra-interior.jpg

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I don't like the part time four wheel drive system. It desperately needs an unlock/lock in the transfer case. Outside of front diff/steering rack/water pumps problems it is the thing I dislike most on my truck. Oh, well that and the odd/tall tires it takes. (But I guess the days of cheap tires are gone.)

Almost all 4x4 pickups are a part time 4WD. Some have an "auto 4x4" that kicks the 4x4 on when it detects slip. The ones I have driven are slow to react. Some trucks do have AWD to drive on pavement, but many of these also lack a low range. Why would you need 4x4 on a dry surface anyway? I pretty much only use mine in the winter. I do agree though that the electronic LSD is [censored] compared to a real mechanical LSD. This is one thing I wish my truck had.

As for tire size, Tundras come standard with 255/70-18's which is an odd tire size. However, the TRD tires are 275/65-18's, the same as many F-150's making it a pretty common tire size. The diameter between the two is identical. I run the 255's as my winter tires, the 275's as my summers.

When it comes to Tundra long term reliability, the fact remains that it still leads in the only two independent long term reliability surveys, True Delta and Consumer Reports. My last Chevy had 250K miles on it when I sold it and the engine was still awesome. Other areas not so much which is why I decided to sell it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I agree. Trucks are becoming more "Tonka" by the day. I like the PREVIOUS generation Tundra better than any of the newer models. Simple, let informative. Understated and not showy. I've driven a 2006 mdoel a few times and the interior is very ergonomic.

14762d1160169579-metallic-dash-accents-06tundra-interior.jpg

I never understood all the hate for the 2007-13 Tundra interior, mine is fine. Some of the reaches are long, but I am tall and have long arms so I have never had issues. I like it a lot better than the 2004-08 Fords from work. I do think the 2014 interior is nicer overall but I haven't lived with one. I didn't like the pre-2007 Tundra as much, the seat is too low to the floor.

I find that the tail happy happy nature can be a problem when road conditions are rapidly changing in winter. Snow, slush, wet. Back and forth. Not a problem if it were to pick one and stay there.

my driveway requires a couple of turns at steering lock in order to park. That is where I notice the binding. The worst is when I go from dirt/ice onto bare dry pavement while turning hard.

I keep with 255's as I figure it's better for mpg, and since it sticks to pavement. I also want to say the 275 costs more, or it did last I looked--better selection, but more expensive.

Originally Posted By: Oldswagon
I never understood all the hate for the 2007-13 Tundra interior, mine is fine.

I don't think anyone in this thread said they hated anything.

Not here, but a common complaint on the web was the "dated" dash, particularly towards the end of that generation. It works for me, and I rarely need to reach for anything.

Not here, but a common complaint on the web was the "dated" dash, particularly towards the end of that generation. It works for me, and I rarely need to reach for anything.

And count me among those who dislike ALL the new trucks having excessive "glam" and "glitz" on the dashboards.

Don't need it, don't like it...

Why not? I hear 13 and even 18 is quite popular.

Surprised a 13 isn't available on the 2500/3500 diesel trucks actually... Certain crowds might like that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back