Consumer Reports includes Chinese tires...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Add me to that list...had one on a wrecker just fly apart with no warning!

Dude I work with got to throw a set away with good tread because they literally rotted off the rims...Michelin accused him of using Armor-All and refused to lift a finger.

Just one reason I will run 4 different Chinese tires before I will give a cent to Michelin!

Oh yes, I forgot about you being the "other guy"
wink.gif
So there are two of you on here
grin.gif

And I think Nick1994 had some prematurely weather crack.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Dude I work with got to throw a set away with good tread because they literally rotted off the rims...Michelin accused him of using Armor-All and refused to lift a finger.

Just one reason I will run 4 different Chinese tires before I will give a cent to Michelin!

wink.gif
grin.gif

My Dad is not overly fond of his LTX M/S2's either. Wet and winter traction are his complaints. They drive more like older hardened up tires in those conditions. The next set will be something else, not chinesium, but not LTX's either.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

wink.gif
grin.gif

My Dad is not overly fond of his LTX M/S2's either. Wet and winter traction are his complaints. They drive more like older hardened up tires in those conditions. The next set will be something else, not chinesium, but not LTX's either.

Now that is surprising, considering we own two sets of those and absolutely love them in snow/ice/wet
21.gif
What is the date code on his set and what are they on?

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

wink.gif
grin.gif

Now that is surprising, considering we own two sets of those and absolutely love them in snow/ice/wet
21.gif
What is the date code on his set and what are they on?

He's got 03 F150 ext cab 4x4 with the 5.4l. I think now he's had them for 4 years and I think they were ordered in, so they probably aren't much older. They are LT tires as well, but have lots of tread left. The diff lock is a little aggressive too which doesn't help, but he often lights up the tires in 2nd with the 28' rv trailer on climbing any sort of hill in the wet. And that truck isn't a powerhouse by any means.
I think his thinking is, he could be unsatisfied with tires for far less money next time.

F-150? Did it spec LT's? We are running the P-Metric version at the placard pressure. That may be the difference.

F-150? Did it spec LT's? We are running the P-Metric version at the placard pressure. That may be the difference.

Its got the tow package, but I know he got it with P tires on, the placard
21.gif
. It has fairly high profile tires so it was a little wiggley with the trailer on for his taste with the P's. The LT's have less deflection at near their rated psi, but he airs them to the load so they ride quite well in normal use and have a reasonable contact patch.
He gets around OK with the LTX's and 4wd in the winter, but they weren't the $1000+ Michelin miracle tires he expected.

I would have gone P's on it if that's what it called for. We also have the tow package on both Expeditions and they still call for P's. The LT's may be a harder compound and that may be affecting their performance, just a thought
21.gif

The only tires we've had that come close to performing as well are the GoodYear Silent Armour tires, which are also excellent.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I must have been stuck with the worst set of Michelin tires made... in the history of the company.

Either that, or my pickup goes out and does burnouts all by itself when I'm at work.

If I recall you had a sudden falloff in traction at less than half the rated mileage of the tires. If that's the worst set of tires Michelin ever made, they're not doing that bad. I could tell you Firestone failure stories all day long and they all make your experience look like a walk in the park. Still, we expect more for our money than simply avoiding catastrophic failure.

I took a look at my LTX MS/2's... the sipes go about half way down the tread blocks. On any brand tire, we should expect the wet and snow traction to have a sudden falloff once you wear down past the sipes. Mine has 20K miles on it and still looks new. If that wear rate continues I'll have well over 50K before I get to the bottom of the sipes, but time will tell.

As someone once quipped, hope you get to the bottom of the sipes at the beginning of a dry Summer, and then buy new tires when it gets cold. There's a guy in Texas with over 100K miles and rolling on LTX MS/2's. It's on a pickup that tows and hauls in the heat regularly, plus he drives on the highway a lot. He's way past the sipes, but in TX weather he doesn't care, dry hot traction is just fine.

As for the guy doing burnouts in second gear towing a 28' trailer... I doubt he's going to be happy with the lifetime and traction of any tire. Just sayin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back