Apple stops unlocking devices for police

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes sir! Police States everywhere and most folks still have that "if you have nothing to hide" attitude!! Wake up!!! Your gov't is not FOR you, they are AGAINST you in every way, shape and form.

Trust me, get railroaded by the system ONE time and tell me where you stand then. I am a 100% innocent law abiding citizen but I [censored] off the wrong cop in traffic court over a speeding ticket and he has made my life [censored], costed me Thousands in legal fees and even a night in jail.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
If people aren't doing anything wrong, why would they want to hide things from the police anyway?

snort

Fine for today, perhaps. What does a citizen do if the police or other Authority changes the definition of what's "wrong" to include something that was legal yesterday?

"Visiting a subversive website called 'Bob Is the Oil Guy'? Clearly unpatriotic and seditious behavior. No, you don't need a lawyer. Come along with us."

This is nice and all, but anything pushed to the iCloud can still be handed over to the police. This new feature only affects the data on the phone or other iDevice.

This sounds like a gimmicky marketing campaign. Who cares if they won't unlock your phone but can't guarantee that they won't turn over your cloud data and backups? I routinely back up to iCloud and my computer. The majority of my info is not on any single device. Also,on my Android, I've never known that Google can unlock my phone....always had to do a factory reset if I forgot my code. What am I missing here?

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
This sounds like a gimmicky marketing campaign. Who cares if they won't unlock your phone but can't guarantee that they won't turn over your cloud data and backups? I routinely back up to iCloud and my computer. The majority of my info is not on any single device. Also,on my Android, I've never known that Google can unlock my phone....always had to do a factory reset if I forgot my code. What am I missing here?

You're missing the throngs of posts before yours of "freedom seekers" who are now considering I-phones...

gimmicky marketing campaigns work!

Originally Posted By: JOD

You're missing the throngs of posts before yours of "freedom seekers" who are now considering I-phones...

LOL, they're selling the phones by the tens of millions. I doubt they came up with this change to market phones to the couple hundred people who care about their privacy. As a strictly marketing sense it's probably a stupid idea. Hoards of furious sheep that forgot their pin and didn't backup to the cloud will be taking to the interwebs shortly complaining.

Last edited:
They'll come out with a decryptor soon enough, keep it a top secret, and fake out corner drug dealers that they decrypted the phone so might as well talk about what they know so the cops will go easy on em.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: JOD

LOL, they're selling the phones by the tens of millions. I doubt they came up with this change to market phones to the couple hundred people who care about their privacy. As a strictly marketing sense it's probably a stupid idea. Hoards of furious sheep that forgot their pin and didn't backup to the cloud will be taking to the interwebs shortly complaining.

I disagree. First, just because they're selling a lot of I-phones, doesn't mean they're happy with the amount of I-phones they're selling. If so, then they probably won't be in business very long. I don't buy the "build and they will come" thing is their only strategy.

Getting inside consumers' heads is very powerful, and their own press release shows that they're trying to position themselves as "the company that takes your privacy seriously". I also think you're crazy if you that that only means "a couple of hundred people". I'm sure their focus groups and internal data could put a precise number on it, but I guarantee that it's a significant number. It seems like a good marketing move to me.

As far as "caring about your privacy", if one *really* cared that much about his or her privacy, they'd just refrain from all digital mediums (cell phones, credit cards, anything to do with the internet...). Sorry, but it's a new reality. I'll take "hiding in plain side" as my own strategy! I would imagine that those who take great lengths to "protect" themselves probably trip the filters and are getting the most scrutiny. It's not that I'm in favor of trading "freedom" for security, I just think digital data is inherently public. It's just the nature of the beast, IMO.

I'm not really understanding your complaints. Security is in the news. Apple has made security/privacy changes for the better. Sounds good to me.

His point is this is just putting lipstick on a pig. You can tell yourself all day long that this is making you more secure but at the end of the day, if you are using iCloud or backing up your phone there is no substantive gain in privacy. And if you aren't going to use the cloud services or backups, why own a modern smartphone?

His point is this is just putting lipstick on a pig. You can tell yourself all day long that this is making you more secure but at the end of the day, if you are using iCloud or backing up your phone there is no substantive gain in privacy. And if you aren't going to use the cloud services or backups, why own a modern smartphone?
But if I don't use those services I am gaining a little privacy. And I'm not sure what clouds have to do with smartphone usefulness. Certainly not necessary. Many other ways to back up files.

Sure this hasn't 100% fixed privacy but it's a little step in the right direction. I'm an Apple hater too but credit has to be given.

Surprise, surprise... Google announces that Android L will feature the same encryption as iOS 8.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-...locking-police/

This goes far beyond the local constable harassing you during a traffic stop:

Quote:
The main upshot is that thieves (and the government) won't be able to access data on your device — even with Google's co-operation, since the Goog won't have the key needed to unlock your phone.

All this marks a clear backlash from the wave of Snowden leaks: tech firms, unable to stop themselves from legally having to offer data up to the government, are choosing instead to make that data inaccessible to anyone but the end user. Just remember — any data that's been transmitted, or stored on a cloud server (which in this day and age is almost all of it) will have quite probably been intercepted by the NSA anyhow.

No matter how you spin it or argue it, this isn't a bad thing at all.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Surprise, surprise... Google announces that Android L will feature the same encryption as iOS 8.

Android has had an encryption option for years, it just isn't turned on by default but will be in L.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-...locking-police/

This goes far beyond the local constable harassing you during a traffic stop:

Quote:
The main upshot is that thieves (and the government) won't be able to access data on your device — even with Google's co-operation, since the Goog won't have the key needed to unlock your phone.

All this marks a clear backlash from the wave of Snowden leaks: tech firms, unable to stop themselves from legally having to offer data up to the government, are choosing instead to make that data inaccessible to anyone but the end user. Just remember — any data that's been transmitted, or stored on a cloud server (which in this day and age is almost all of it) will have quite probably been intercepted by the NSA anyhow.

No matter how you spin it or argue it, this isn't a bad thing at all.

I don't think anybody ever said this is a "bad" thing. Just a useless thing for anyone that wants to use a cloud or back up their device. And Google jumping on this bandwagon doesn't make it anymore legit or likely that I am going to encrypt my phone, an option I've had on my Nexus devices for several years. I do use the cloud - Google, iTunes and iCloud. If I was worried about it, I'd just buy a trac phone or something that does not require me to sign in.

However, I do get why Apple and Google posture and market on privacy issues. It's good business.

I don't think anybody ever said this is a "bad" thing. Just a useless thing for anyone that wants to use a cloud or back up their device. And Google jumping on this bandwagon doesn't make it anymore legit or likely that I am going to encrypt my phone, an option I've had on my Nexus devices for several years. I do use the cloud - Google, iTunes and iCloud. If I was worried about it, I'd just buy a trac phone or something that does not require me to sign in.

However, I do get why Apple and Google posture and market on privacy issues. It's good business.
I don't use the screen side camera on my S3. Where do I go to complain about it's uselessness?

And how would the trac phone be private? It wouldn't take long to figure out who you were since they can see(most likely listen to) all you calls and read your texts.

Hatt, I hate to tell you this but cloud based technology is the future. In fact, I don't know anybody that doesn't use iCloud if they have an iPhone. I don't know anyone period who doesn't use at least one of Google Drive, Gmail, Maps, etc. Do you also have Google Now turned off? Dropbox? It's so important, Microsoft, Google and Apple make it the centerpiece of their mobile strategy. I don't know how you avoid it with an S3.

And yes, they can track you on a trac fone, but that is not what we are talking about here. We are talking about data specifically on your phone that is supposedly secure.

None of that has anything to do with this story. A step in the right direction is a step in the right direction. I don't know why all the carrying on. No matter how trivial Apple's game was it now has Android wanting to play. Who knows, we could have major player phones making anonymous encrypted calls/texts through the tor network before long. With six proxies.

You are right. It is a step in the right direction, however marginal. Part of my reaction has to do with the hoopla it got both earlier in this thread and in how first Tim Cook and then Google are marketing it. The bark is way bigger than the bite but it is being sold to us as if it will guarantee us privacy. It won't and I don't like feeling like someone is trying to scam me.

If you're an informed buyer how is it a scam? Where did they guarantee anything? It was pretty simple announcement saying they can't retrieve/reset your password and access data stored on your phone. Calls/texts/email/cloud/apps/etc are unaffected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back