Rear axle fluid change completed at 23,680 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already had some Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 on the shelf. I originally intended to use this on the last pickup but traded it in before I could. Instead of the bottles collecting dust on the shelf, I thought I would change out the rear axle fluid on the 14. I purchased a hand pump from Harbor Freight to get the old fluid out: http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-transfer-pump-66418.html After removing the fill hole plug, I stuck the hose in as far as I could and pumped out the old fluid. I estimated I got at least 90% of it out judging by how much new oil I put back in (rated for 5.5 pints). This worked pretty good vs taking the cover off and disturbing the gasket. I already had a hand pump for the Amsoil quarts so that went quickly also. Maybe took a half hour to complete the job.

Fill plug is magnetic and had a good amount of metal on it. No large chunks (just a fine paste). Old fluid was very dark. Plan to do my front axle at the next engine oil change.

rear_axle_drain_plug.jpg

used_gear_oil.jpg

first change is terrible looking from break in wear.

second change is pretty much business as normal after that.. even with 2x the miles.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
I think GMCs fluid is purple from the factory?

The 75w-90 is "grape-scented." I don't know if it starts out purple, but mine was black when changed at 49,000. The 8.6" in a 2001 half-ton called for either 4.25 or 4.5 pints.

Doesn't make sense to have a magnet on the fill plug. Is there a drain plug or do you have to remove the diff cover to drain?

Originally Posted By: Concours14
Looks like the old Castrol Green 0W30 that was all the rage years ago. 23,680 isn't long. Can you tell if it's quieter, or smoother?

No noticeable difference in feel after fluid change. Just piece of mind of getting factory fill out.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Doesn't make sense to have a magnet on the fill plug. Is there a drain plug or do you have to remove the diff cover to drain?

No drain plug that I'm aware of. As I mentioned in the original post, I sucked out the oil fluid with a transfer pump out of the fill hole. Removing the cover is most likely the "proper" way of draining the fluid.

As far as a magnet on the fill plug, I'm assuming that the oil hits it when the diff is spinning. My Tundra had a drain and fill plug with the magnet on the drain (which makes sense) but I suppose with no drain plug, a magnet on the fill plug still gets the job done.

I was thinking the same thing about why a magnet on the fill plug, but obviously it caught some stuff. There is no magnetic drain plug, but there is likely another magnet inside stuck on the cover. At least there was on the 09 and 11's.

I didn't have any problems with the reusable gaskets on an 09 and 11 when I changed the fluid last year so I'm sure on your 14 would have been no hassle.

How long you plan on running the amsoil?

Here's a how to with pictures of the inside of the cover with the magnet if nothing major has changed... rear diff

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Scott_mi
I was thinking the same thing about why a magnet on the fill plug, but obviously it caught some stuff. There is no magnetic drain plug, but there is likely another magnet inside stuck on the cover. At least there was on the 09 and 11's.

I didn't have any problems with the reusable gaskets on an 09 and 11 when I changed the fluid last year so I'm sure on your 14 would have been no hassle.

How long you plan on running the amsoil?

Here's a how to with pictures of the inside of the cover with the magnet if nothing major has changed... rear diff

Thanks for the info Scott_mi. The rear end in my 14 looks similar to the one in your how-to-article. I'll plan on removing the cover on the next change. That way I can clean everything up on the inside of the cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back