120k miles never had manual tranny fluid changed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I have to respectfully disagree. Have you read up on BGs transmission flush? I dont know about the rest of them but this one is not only legitimate, but a lot of people swear by it. I have it done on every vehicle I own, every 30k miles.

I have investigated it and still don't like it.

Did anyone catch that he said Manual transmission in the title?

OP do you have the auto or manual transmission?

If you have a Manual, then i would suggest you get a proper manual transmission fluid and not an ATF. A dedicated MTL will give better protection and shift characteristics than an ATF if you get the correct viscosity.

Molakule has a list of MTFs that are sorted by visc. Look at the last posts in this thread.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1231182/3

Let's keep to the topic. You can argue the fear mongering ATF flush hearsay stories in its own thread that you create.

For the OP's MANUAL transmission, use a GL4 manual transmission fluid.

Amsoil, Redline, StaLube/CRC,Pennzoil, Ford, Nissan, GM, Hyundai/Kia, Millers, Smittys, BradPenn, Liqui/LubroMoly...are some choices in 80w90, 75w90, 75w85, 85w90... Any will work fine. Some might be a little better than others.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
I have to respectfully disagree. Have you read up on BGs transmission flush? I dont know about the rest of them but this one is not only legitimate, but a lot of people swear by it. I have it done on every vehicle I own, every 30k miles.

I have investigated it and still don't like it.

Just curious, any reason in general?
confused.gif
They make top tier additives and fluids and I have never heard any bad press on them in the past.

Just replace the manual tranny fluid with a brand name gl4 75w90 and the differential with a brand name gl5 75w90. U won't have to change it again until 200k miles or so.

One good thing about changing oil in a man tranny is:
- Knowing its oil in it and not running low.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Amsoil, Redline, StaLube/CRC,Pennzoil, Ford, Nissan, GM, Hyundai/Kia, Millers, Smittys, BradPenn, Liqui/LubroMoly...are some choices in 80w90, 75w90, 75w85, 85w90... Any will work fine. Some might be a little better than others.

Motul as well since they make all the fluids for NISMO.
wink.gif

Besides, in MTs, you don't have a separate cooler for the fluid.

Some do, but yes, these are practically racing cars which can be legally driven on the street, NOT everyday point A to B transportation.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Besides, in MTs, you don't have a separate cooler for the fluid.

Some do, but yes, these are practically racing cars which can be legally driven on the street, NOT everyday point A to B transportation.

Unless you are talking about the Cadillac CTS-V, and many other T6060 vehicles with the built in transmission cooler pump.
wink.gif

I have not gotten to servicing my MTF yet but Im not suprised that everybody has an opinion. I've gone on Infiniti forums and some say running anything other then OEM SOME people experience harder shifting. Yet others have no problems wiht a GL4 fluid. So I think I'd rather play it safe and just get me some Nissan OEM fluid.

playing it safe would be picking an MTF designed to protect and MTX, not an ATF. Hard shifting can vary depending on viscosity.

I'd personally go no thicker than Redline MTL in any modern MTX. Since your car came with ATF, odds are people experiencing shifting issues were using something like 75W-90. MTFs that are near ATF viscosities are usually "synchro" labeled fluids like synchromax, synchroshift, etc. or Xw-80 (70W-80, 75W-80 or even straight 75W). You'd probably be looking for something with a 100C viscosity under 8 cSt.

Last edited:
Nissan oem 75W85 MTF is what your car came filled from the factory with. It's a GL4 gear oil,not a synchromesh or ATF. Anything thicker might result in gear grind/crunch when shifting. I wouldn't go thicker.

It's only $9 a quart at any Nissan dealership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back