RP vs. Valv SynP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I know, same old post, different day.

Recently purchased 2010 Ford Taurus SEL with 100K miles (was a corporate car). I am a college student and currently drive 90% around town. But starting next August I will be commuting 40 miles per day.

Option 1:
RP 5w-20 w/ RP filter- 10K mile OCI's

Option 2:
Valvoline SynPower 5w-20 w/ RP filter- 7500 (or 5K, haven't decided) OCI's.

I plan on keeping this car for many many years.

Thanks

Also, anyone know of shops that will drain tranny fluid and refill with the ATF of your choice? I'm wanting to use the RP tranny fluid but have no way to do a complete change without a machine.

+1 Synpower

Nothing against RP but iv haven't seen much to make it any better then most other oils out their.

Have you considered Fram ultra filters? Don't let the name scare you they are up their with the best of the best. And they are cheaper. Dual synthetic media, and wire backed mess.

Should look into it!

The tranny fluid machines can be bad. I wouldn't use it unless you have to replace the tranny and it was a last resort.

Drop and fill is the way to go. Measure what you take out and add it back. Do it every 10-15k miles and your good.

They also make transition pans with oil plugs. Might want to see if they make one for your car.

If the RP is good for 10k, so is the Valvoline. Keep it topped off with either one you choose. Drop & fill on the ATF as stated by 3800Series.

A corporate car which probably used dino its entire life? Synthetic at this stage in the game? Not something I would do. PYB every 5K miles with Motorcraft filter for the win.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
+1 Synpower

Nothing against RP but iv haven't seen much to make it any better then most other oils out their.

Have you considered Fram ultra filters? Don't let the name scare you they are up their with the best of the best. And they are cheaper. Dual synthetic media, and wire backed mess.

Should look into it!

The tranny fluid machines can be bad. I wouldn't use it unless you have to replace the tranny and it was a last resort.

Drop and fill is the way to go. Measure what you take out and add it back. Do it every 10-15k miles and your good.

They also make transition pans with oil plugs. Might want to see if they make one for your car.

+1

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
+1 Synpower

Should look into it!

I have never heard a good thing about Fram so that has pushed me away from them. I normally use Purolator but decided to switch it up a bit and get the RP filter. I found it for $12 online so only a few dollars more for what seems to me to be a higher quality filter.

SynPower it is. I've always heard great things about Valvoline oils. I personally disagree with the comment about not switching over to a synthetic this late in the game. This engine is only four years old and while it may have high miles I don't think the seals will be an issue...but if they happen to be I will drop down to a synthetic blend...but not until the seal swellers in the synthetic get a chance to do their thing. Also, I switched a 99 Grand Am with 100K+ miles over to FS and didn't have a problem and that engine wasn't maintained well at all.

I already had the tranny flushed when I purchased the vehicle and so far not a problem at all. I've done hours of research on flush machines and what I have basically learned is this: no one has a definitive answer. My personal belief is that if they were truly a bad thing to do than the service wouldn't be offered. No company is going to willingly get into litigation over failed tranny's. I trust my local shop and they said they've never once had anyone come in saying their tranny failed after a flush. However, I will be dropping the pan and overtime RP will replace everything that is in there currently...and I will add a drain plug if possible! Good idea!

So, SynPower every 7500 with RP filter it is.

Thanks guys.

RP certified oil is way over priced. Dont fall for the unsubstantiated advertising. Its All Bull. Last we saw their HPS oil wasn't a "technical" synthetic just warmed over dino glop like BP Syntec.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
RP certified oil is way over priced. Dont fall for the unsubstantiated advertising. Its All Bull. Last we saw their HPS oil wasn't a "technical" synthetic just warmed over dino glop like BP Syntec.

Does this apply to their ATF fluid too? Their website makes you think their products are liquid gold in a bottle.

I like RP filters better than anything else available, though the Fram Ultra is 90% as good for 80% of the price. Toss a coin there.

RP racing oils probably have an application, but I honestly haven't seen much to persuade me that their API oils are better than SOPUS, XOM, or Ashland products. I will say that they're more price-competitive than they used to be, often equal in price to M1 EP in the same grade.

Originally Posted By: CodyG

Does this apply to their ATF fluid too? Their website makes you think their products are liquid gold in a bottle.

EVERYONE's website makes their products look like liquid gold in a bottle. One application where I think RP has a product that might be better than the usual choices is their Synchromax manual trans lubricant. But ATFs are often very specialized these days, so if your car specs anything other than Dexron VI then I'd go with a brand that EXPLICITLY meets your car's requirement.

if no consideration for price, RP hands down. Better basestock.

if $ is a consideration, Synpower is a much better deal and should handle 10k OCIs no problem.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

if $ is a consideration, Synpower is a much better deal and should handle 10k OCIs no problem.

Being a college student I can't really afford the RP but once I graduate and get my big boy job, lol, RP it is. I know the SynPower is plenty good enough but just knowing the RP is in the engine will make me feel better. Yea, I'm that guy....but I feel if you're on this website you can identify with that.
grin.gif

Being a college student I can't really afford the RP but once I graduate and get my big boy job, lol, RP it is. I know the SynPower is plenty good enough but just knowing the RP is in the engine will make me feel better. Yea, I'm that guy....but I feel if you're on this website you can identify with that.
grin.gif

Their 5W20 synerlec was the best oil I have ever ran for my cars. When I could get it for $6/quart I was all over it. I can't justify the cost now days with the best deals I can find being like $7.50/qt. Not to mention, that was an API SL oil.

grin.gif

Their 5W20 synerlec was the best oil I have ever ran for my cars. When I could get it for $6/quart I was all over it. I can't justify the cost now days with the best deals I can find being like $7.50/qt. Not to mention, that was an API SL oil.

Same here. back in the day when I could get the RP Synerlec for $6 a quart I used it all the time. But there's no way I'm paying $10 a quart for oil. If I go synth,I usually grab M1 or Edge.

So I did some research on BITOG and found that Valvoline MaxLife contains both TBN and Moly. When looking at the plain SynPower it also has TBN but at a lower amount and doesn't contain any moly at all.

My question is, what is the point in using the SynPower over the MaxLife when the MaxLife contains more beneficial additives? Why not use MaxLife all the time?

For the motor, go with whatever is cheaper. At 100k miles, RP really isn't going to do much better than any other synthetic oil.

As for the other fluids, I would stick with RP. Great products.

I have only had one issue with them (an oil filter) and their customer service is top notch also.

They make great gear oil as well. I will be posting a UOA of my vehicle with a RP run, take a look at it. Good stuff.

So I did some research on BITOG and found that Valvoline MaxLife contains both TBN and Moly. When looking at the plain SynPower it also has TBN but at a lower amount and doesn't contain any moly at all.

My question is, what is the point in using the SynPower over the MaxLife when the MaxLife contains more beneficial additives? Why not use MaxLife all the time?

TBN is Total Base Number, it is not a "thing" as much as it is a "level". It is the oil's ability to neutralize acids. A higher TBN means an oil can usually be run longer in service.

I'm bias against MaxLife so if I had the choice between anything or MaxLife I would pick MaxLife. It's my preferred oil but a pain to find 100% synthetic MaxLife without spending nearly 2xs as much at auto zone

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

TBN is Total Base Number, it is not a "thing" as much as it is a "level". It is the oil's ability to neutralize acids. A higher TBN means an oil can usually be run longer in service.

And to further muddy the waters, what is most important is how well the oil MAINTAINS its TBN over time. An oil that starts with a TBN of 11 and is down to a TBN of 1.5 by 7000 miles of service is no not as good as an oil that starts at a TBN of 5 and is down to a TBN of 3 by 7000 miles of service.

Moly is one choice among many for anti-wear additives. Some people have an inexplicable liking for it. I could care less what additive is doing the job, so long as the job gets done.

Last edited:
For the same money or less, there are many oils available that are arguably better choices than either Synpower or API SN RP.
I'd personally pick PP, but M1 AFE would be a fine choice as would QSUD or Ultra. For 10K drains, I'd use M1, PP or Ultra over either RP or Synpower.
Oil filters?
The Fram Ultra is about as good as it gets while a Motorcraft will be available for your Ford, and these are very well made filters at a value price.
There is nothing all that special about API SN RP or RP oil filters.
Pay no attention to what I've written.
Just surf this site for a bit and then make an informed choice, which is a little more involved than RP vs Synpower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back