Alternative grease for garage door gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it were me, I wouldn't use it. That grease has a tendency to separate pretty good and you will get red drips all over. I'd stick with a product that is specifically made for lubricating those gears, when I bought a repair kit it came with the proper grease. If you're buying that one gear then it probably won't. I bought this kit:

repair kit

The gear is not Teflon I don't think. Probably Delrin or some other engineering thermoplastic.

the stuff the garage door guy gave to us is Lubriplate aero; which they basically put on all the moving parts.

available sometimes at hardware stores, for sure at any garage door store/repair shop

http://www.amazon.com/Lubriplate-Multi-P...AHCSR0XSMHXMZQY

For tight parts that squeak, like scissor hinges; i've found it helpful to sprinkle in a puff of dry graphite dust into whatever lubricant i'm using. probably not the proper way, but works for me.

Last edited:
maybe try this test, put some of that gease on your fingers. does it feel super slick and smooth like olive oil?
Or is it sticky and viscous like glue?

The aeroplate aero is slick and smooth.

If it's sticky and viscous, then it's adding extra friction that isn't desired for these low temp, low load mechanisms.

Last edited:
says it's good for garage door openers, so i guess it should be OK; but wonder why you went for that instead of the industry recommended lubriplate aero. It's probably a bit thicker/heavier then the aero

Last edited:
For a buck extra i get 7oz more of lube! I thought it would be a better purchase for future uses.

I use Dow Corning 33, because I have it on hand, and it's perfect for the application. It's a silicone-based grease that is designed for light-duty applications that see cold temperatures, and is resistant to the elements.

Genie sells Lubriplate Low Temp under their name in small tubes - most home improvement places should have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back