Applying the Hand Brake to minimize trans damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
automatic transmission procedure:

1. Press and hold brake pedal
2. Fully engage parking brake
3. Shift into park
4. Release brake pedal
5. Turn off car

Originally Posted By: babbittd

3. Shift into park
4. Release brake pedal
5. Turn off car

I like to use the parking brake on my pickup at the boat ramp. If I don't, it makes an awful clunk when you take it back out of park.

Originally Posted By: babbittd

3. Shift into park
4. Release brake pedal
5. Turn off car

Same here, skipping the neutral shift. Bring vehicle to a stop and hold with brakes, engage parking brake, Park. The vehicle does not budge an inch through this process if you keep your right foot on the brake pedal, engage the parking with the left (or hand brake). Comes out of Park just fine on my inclined drive.

Originally Posted By: gonefishing
I like to use the parking brake on my pickup at the boat ramp. If I don't, it makes an awful clunk when you take it back out of park.

Originally Posted By: jtfmdyk

Same here, skipping the neutral shift. Bring vehicle to a stop and hold with brakes, engage parking brake, Park. The vehicle does not budge an inch through this process if you keep your right foot on the brake pedal, engage the parking with the left (or hand brake). Comes out of Park just fine on my inclined drive.

The 2001 Taurus' gear shifter is on the steering column. Last week my neighbor borrowed the car and upon returning parked on the heavily inclined driveway, with the engine running, the shifter in park and without the parking brake engaged. I got in the car to move it and the amount of pressure on the gear shifter was so much that I can't pick a word to describe it that won't sound stupid. That parking procedure previously posted is used at all times.

I apply the p-brake on both auto and manual vehicles. Two birds one stone, keeps load off the trans and the p-brake stays functional.

I don't use it when I'm borrowing a vehicle from someone that doesn't normally do so. Had an incident where I used the p-brake on someones 6yo vehicle and the hardware broke inside the rotor hat, likely because it was seized. Got an earful of screeching from the broken parts and the owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back