Apple stops unlocking devices for police

Status
Not open for further replies.
If people aren't doing anything wrong, why would they want to hide things from the police anyway?

snort

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
If people aren't doing anything wrong, why would they want to hide things from the police anyway?

snort

Never a good idea to give gov't any more power than necessary. Supreme Court's recent decision to require search warrant to go through an arrested persons phone should be commended. Cell phones are so much more than a simple phone. Many of us have private and/or intimate items that are not meant to be viewed by anyone none the less a stranger indiscriminately looking for additional charges or proof of a crime. If that agent of the gov't believes there is incriminating evidence on the phone, spell it out and a judge will sign it.

A little extra work is well worth keeping our civil liberties in place. Kudos to Apple and the other carriers that refuse to unlock a phone without a subpoena.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
I don't think it will hold up if challenged in court - they'll have to unlock them if ordered to by a judge.
They can't unlock them. Even if they want to. That's the difference. Zero Knowledge. Everyone should go to this.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
I don't think it will hold up if challenged in court - they'll have to unlock them if ordered to by a judge.

It's not that they won't, but that they can't due to the security features in the new iOS. The article even says that the device's owner can't have Apple unlock the device if they forget their passcode. They will have to reset the device and restore it from their iCloud backup...and that backup could and would be turned over by Apple if they were presented with a search warrant, from my reading of the article.

While it may be a stumbling block for collecting data without the device owner's knowledge, it seems to me that an individual can be compelled by the court to unlock their phone as a part of a lawful search as supported by a warrant under the threat of fines or jail time.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT

snort

A little extra work is well worth keeping our civil liberties in place. Kudos to Apple and the other carriers that refuse to unlock a phone without a subpoena.

Hah. With the people in control now, you are a mere subject. Pick up that can.

snort

It's called privacy, no matter the content it's about your rights.

Originally Posted By: wsar10

snort

It's called privacy, no matter the content it's about your rights.
That sounds seditious, Citizen.
Your papers, please.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT

snort

Never a good idea to give gov't any more power than necessary. Supreme Court's recent decision to require search warrant to go through an arrested persons phone should be commended. Cell phones are so much more than a simple phone. Many of us have private and/or intimate items that are not meant to be viewed by anyone none the less a stranger indiscriminately looking for additional charges or proof of a crime. If that agent of the gov't believes there is incriminating evidence on the phone, spell it out and a judge will sign it.

Kudos to you my freind, folks that understand and support the documents of liberty that made this country the best place on earth, are a dying breed.....

Originally Posted By: wsar10

Kudos to you my freind, folks that understand and support the documents of liberty that made this country the best place on earth, are a dying breed.....

*friend

The young people today are being conditioned to accept that Security is preferable to liberty.

The government has had an affect on my life without any wrong doing or intent on my part and the effects have at times, been difficult to accept with little recourse available. In many cases the government does not serve the people. The government has become something of its own invention and the interests of the average citizen have suffered. If I hear one more person say that if you're not doing anything wrong there's no need to keep your information private I think I'm going to vomit. I live a very private lifestyle. I don't bother other people and I expect the same in return and that includes the government. I applaud Apple for their decision to help people hold onto a bit of their privacy.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The government has had an affect on my life without any wrong doing or intent on my part and the effects have at times, been difficult to accept with little recourse available. In many cases the government does not serve the people. The government has become something of its own invention and the interests of the average citizen have suffered. If I hear one more person say that if you're not doing anything wrong there's no need to keep your information private I think I'm going to vomit. I live a very private lifestyle. I don't bother other people and I expect the same in return and that includes the government. I applaud Apple for their decision to help people hold onto a bit of their privacy.
It's a good first step. Now we need widely available apps to encrypt all comms. Then we need apps to disrupt the wholesale collection of metadata.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back