M1 5w50, 3000mi, Fiat turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fiat Coupe turbo 123,000 miles
About 20 months on this oil, mostly long trips and 1 track day
There was no fuel dilution last time.
This time the engine has been tuned a little, more boost etc.
Maybe I should use a cheaper oil and change it more often?

Last edited:
Can you do something about fuel dilution? That is what's thinning out your oil. If you can't, then I agree to change the oil more often.

I should have put this up first

Code:

OIL M1 5w50 SR 10w60

MILES IN USE 3K 3k

MILES 123k 119k

SAMPLE TAKEN Sept 14 Nov 12

water 0.1 0.080

calcium 3105 2100

lead 4 1

oxidation 34 54.4

nitration 13 8.92

antimony 0 0

iron 9 6

zinc 1146 1330

chromium 0 0.1

copper 5 4

acid index 4

phosphorus 954 1030

sodium 2 5

boron 156 28

potassium 0 2

tin 1 1

titanium 0 3

vanadium 0 0

molybdenum 67 7

barium 0 0

silver 0 0

cadmium 0 0.0

sulphur 4790

aluminium 2 2

dispersancy GOOD

silicon 9 4

magnesium 40 91

TBN 8.17 8.87

fuel dilution 3.3 0.7

nickel 0 0

Viscosity 100C 13.4

Last edited:
Is 3.3% fuel dilution enough to drop the viscosity into the lower half of the 40-range? Or is there some shear going on, too? But 13.4 viscosity should be fine for that engine

Did you do any track days on the car with the 10w60? Maybe the tune you had put on it is causing the fuel dilution. You could run the same oil again, but go longer and see if fuel dilution continues to increase. Any oil is going to lose viscosity with fuel in it, and I wouldn't think that one type or brand is going to better than another in that respect. Fixing the fuel dilution problem is probably more important.

Last edited:
Looks fine to me. Minimal wear regardless of the dilution. TBN is solid. You could go longer on what you have. But if you enjoy changing oil......

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Looks fine to me. Minimal wear regardless of the dilution. TBN is solid.

That's a good observation. This engine likely does not need such a thick oil to begin with, so even though it has dropped a grade, it's still thick enough to protect the engine. I guess if he can't address the fuel dilution issue, then he should continue with a thicker oil like this to give him that extra buffer of protection.

The original oil recomendation was a synthetic 10w40 @ 15,000km intervals or 12 months. That was 20 years ago. I was going to try 0w40 this time but given the fuel dilution and the number of track days coming up I may go another round on M1 5w50, it's cheaper than 0w40.

Your fuel dilution went quite a bit since last oil change. You really should address that issue. There was no excessive wear but still it would be good idea to solve the problem. If i reading this right you only have 3k on this oil in 20 months, and mostly motorway kilometers, so either is really wrong remap performed or it's something like leaky injector. Is this a 16v or 20v engine?

"About 20 months on this oil, mostly long trips and 1 track day"

Obviously "mostly long trips" shouldn't create fuel dilution on their own. I don't see one track day doing that much damage either.

I think you need to figure out if the tuning is over-done and needs readjusted, or something else is wrong with the engine. It's likely the former, but you shouldn't absolutely rule out the latter. Changing more frequently than 3000 seems like papering over the problem.

I suppose if you really like the tune and the engine is sound, you'll have to learn to live with fuel dilution, which from the wear numbers on the UOA, the oil and engine are, in fact, handling well. I don't know if racing oils are going to be any cheaper, but with the M1 you're getting a lot more TBN than you need for a 3k OCI.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Your fuel dilution went quite a bit since last oil change. You really should address that issue. There was no excessive wear but still it would be good idea to solve the problem. If i reading this right you only have 3k on this oil in 20 months, and mostly motorway kilometers, so either is really wrong remap performed or it's something like leaky injector. Is this a 16v or 20v engine?
+1 on that. Pig Rich Tune problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back