Toyota Power Steering filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
So other then my 01 celica gt, all the Toyotas we have in the family have a leaking power steering pumps, every single one of them...I intend to replace all their pumps and then keep up with complete power steering flushes every 60k.

Cardone re-manufactures Toyota's power steering pumps, they also make a power steering filters for all the Toyotas we have, is it worth it? how often would you change something like that? and has anyone had any "flow" issues at colder temperature using these filters?

Amsoil ATF will be used as the power steering fluid on two of the Toyotas, I might extend the power steering flush to 100k if you guys have had good experience with the filter.

I use Amsoil universal ATF in my Tacoma. I just siphon what's in the resivior every oil change. I don't use a filter, original pump too.

How would a filter fix a leak? Err, prevent one. I'd think "junk" floating around in the system would wear out metal parts, not the seals.

At 14-15 years of age could the leaks be just age?

You said your going to start changing every 60k....what has your routine been with all the ones so far?

Rebuild the OEM Toyoda/Aisin pump - I wouldn't trust a Cardone reman. I'd look at the shaft for seal wear. The ACV in older pumps(especially the Lexus ones) are known to give out and leak as well.

20k-30k with full synth ATF is a reasonable maintenance interval.

Use the magnefine filter.

A yearly, or at each oil change, siphon/refill can be used instead of flush.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
I use Amsoil universal ATF in my Tacoma. I just siphon what's in the resivior every oil change. I don't use a filter, original pump too.

sounds like a waste of perfectly serviceable ATF, just do a complete flush.

1. Front tires in air.
2. Siphon PSF until it's below the return line hose.
3. Disconnect return line hose.
4. Connect a similar hose size back into the reservoir and have sufficient length to raise it above the height of the reservoir.
5. Connect a pipe tight enough to fit into the return line hose and then run that into a clear empty container.
6. ADD fresh fluid to the reservoir.
7. have someone move the steering wheel complete to each side while you watch the PSF level in the reservoir and keep it topped off, repeat until fresh fluid is being dumped into the clear container.

A complete flush with Amsoil ATF, i think should be every 60-90k, best is to do a UOA to confirm the life of it.

Originally Posted By: supton
How would a filter fix a leak? Err, prevent one. I'd think "junk" floating around in the system would wear out metal parts, not the seals.

At 14-15 years of age could the leaks be just age?

It is age, I acquired the vehicle 14 month ago, I figured any breakdown of PSF floating around in there will harm the seals? i don't know that for sure, that's why I asked if it is worth using the filter.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
You said your going to start changing every 60k....what has your routine been with all the ones so far?

I typed "I intend to replace all their pumps and THEN keep up with complete power steering flushes every 60k."

either my sentence structure is completely wrong or your reading comprehension is awful.

3 months ago, all 8 of the vehicles in the family went through complete power steering flush using Toyotas method I acquired from forum posts.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Rebuild the OEM Toyoda/Aisin pump - I wouldn't trust a Cardone reman. I'd look at the shaft for seal wear. The ACV in older pumps(especially the Lexus ones) are known to give out and leak as well.

PLEASE SIR, tell me how and exactly what I need to do? I found the power steering pump seal kit for $17.30 + tax from a Toyota Dealership, I rather learn how to rebuild and do all the pumps myself then to buy aftermarket, even though Cardone power steering pumps are re-manufactured OEM pumps anyways.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
20k-30k with full synth ATF is a reasonable maintenance interval.

Use the magnefine filter.

A yearly, or at each oil change, siphon/refill can be used instead of flush.

thanks for the vote of confidence, after seeing a video of what the filter is made up of, I think I'm gonna give a try.

20-30k interval sounds like a waste of serviceable fluid, unless there are UOA to prove that they breakdown sooner then later.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt

I typed "I intend to replace all their pumps and THEN keep up with complete power steering flushes every 60k."

either my sentence structure is completely wrong or your reading comprehension is awful.

3 months ago, all 8 of the vehicles in the family went through complete power steering flush using Toyotas method I acquired from forum posts.

I understand what you typed. I was asking up to this point, with these that have failed, what has been your routine of maintaining them?

PLEASE SIR, tell me how and exactly what I need to do? I found the power steering pump seal kit for $17.30 + tax from a Toyota Dealership, I rather learn how to rebuild and do all the pumps myself then to buy aftermarket, even though Cardone power steering pumps are re-manufactured OEM pumps anyways.

Toyota doesn't use Cardone as their rebuilder - they'll send rebuildables back to their suppliers.

This procedure is for a Supra, but the disassembly is similar. They're all vane pumps and the halves of the pump are bolted together. The difficult part is the shaft seal replacement - you'll need to keep the rotor and vanes lined up and drive the shaft from one of the pump halves - you might need to remove the rotor and reinstall the vanes with the smooth edge out.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=SR&P=48

Last edited:

I understand what you typed. I was asking up to this point, with these that have failed, what has been your routine of maintaining them?

We bought em all used and other then my celica GTS none had any power steering fluid exchange records.
Celica gts power steering pump leak seams to be a common issue.

But my actual understanding would be the lack of maintenance from previous owners caused this, I completely flushed the fluid within 5-6 months into the ownership of all 5 of our Toyotas.

Toyota doesn't use Cardone as their rebuilder - they'll send rebuildables back to their suppliers.

What I was saying is that they re-manufacture the pumps that customers give them as core, so it could be the OEM pumps being remanufactured as its listed on the box as well "re-manufacturer OEM pumps", how true is that? I don't know.

We bought em all used and other then my celica GTS none had any power steering fluid exchange records.
Celica gts power steering pump leak seams to be a common issue.

But my actual understanding would be the lack of maintenance from previous owners caused this, I completely flushed the fluid within 5-6 months into the ownership of all 5 of our Toyotas.

Thank you. It is not hard to answer a question without an attempt of an insult is it?

Thank you. It is not hard to answer a question without an attempt of an insult is it?

I apologize, I was a little on the edge and that was wrong of me, I thought I had stated that the cars were bought used without maintenance history in my original post.

Your question was perfectly valid, and yes its because the lack of fluid maintenance the power steering pumps came to the point of leaking.

I use 1/2" Magnefine filters on the return line of the power steering units in the family fleet. No steering failures so far...128k miles on the Tundra, 202k on the Volvo.

I like the power steering products from Lubegard.
http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-131/Power+Steering
When I put the supplement into the system it immediately felt easier to turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back