Realistic Life Span of Today's Roofing Shingles

Status
Not open for further replies.
My roof is a pretty typical pitch for the area. It's not flat, but not exactly steep either.

There are some metal roofing contractors in the area, and even a showroom. I may have to stop by one day to see some in person.

I had a couple of conversations regarding a metal roof here. Nothing that I was serious enough to ask them to write up a full quote but I was curious (we would be the only metal roof in the neighborhood, and it doesn't really "fit" with the community).

My 2 cents from what I was told - durability wise they are good as long as they are installed well, key is a good install. Cost effectiveness likely depends on the area. I don't really know once we get our roof done if we'll still be here to get it done again, but if we are I highly doubt we'll have to do it twice, barring storm damage, etc. The payback for us really wouldn't be there. And here at least, not much upsell when selling your home with a metal roof (in fact I'd venture a guess that it could hurt resale).

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
A safe bet is 1/2 to 2/3rds of the rated lifetime. If everything lines up - a perfect install (including attic ventilation), and the weather doesn't throw some curveball at it, closer to the design life.

The reality here is that hailstorm or straightline winds are more likely to get it before it makes it that far... I wish you luck here if you believe you will make it 50 years without having a bad hailstorm or windstorm here at some point...

The flip side, without the weather, I've seen 3 tab roofs up north, where the winters are colder, but the summers not quite as hot, last 35+ years with no issues, despite the rating being 20 years.

A safe bet is 1/2 to 2/3rds of the rated lifetime. If everything lines up - a perfect install (including attic ventilation), and the weather doesn't throw some curveball at it, closer to the design life.

The reality here is that hailstorm or straightline winds are more likely to get it before it makes it that far... I wish you luck here if you believe you will make it 50 years without having a bad hailstorm or windstorm here at some point...

The flip side, without the weather, I've seen 3 tab roofs up north, where the winters are colder, but the summers not quite as hot, last 35+ years with no issues, despite the rating being 20 years.

Yes the angle the summer sun strikes a roof can be a huge factor and how long shingles last. Metal is taking over in these parts even in more upscaled areas due to life expectancy. Around here on metal the seals go after around 40 years and it will need to be re-screwed but there is no down time as in no roof replacing done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back