The Roosevelts and NHPTV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else planning on watching this? I'm slowly working my way through a biography on Joesph P Kennedy, and at the moment am in the pre-WWII era in the book. So this Ken Burns series is aptly timed. I need to figure out how to tape it (burn it?) as I am not about to spend 2hr/night (?) for a week watching it; but still want to see it. The series goes over Teddy, FDR and Eleanr.

[The biography was on the freebie table at the transfer station. I'm usually a small gov guy but history is history.]

Originally Posted By: supton
I'm usually a small gov guy...

LOL...nice save.

Why not watch it on PBS.org? They archive the shows.

Originally Posted By: Nayov

LOL...nice save.

LOL, suggesting a small gov't guy watch it on PBS.....

Last edited:

LOL...nice save.

Didn't want to give the wrong impression...

Is it online? I don't watch much online, will look to see. Do you know if it comes in on a Roku? That would be ideal, use that for Netflix.

I believe the majority of library for NHPTV if not PBS is online and available streaming. You need to use a browser.

I wish I could cut my cable but NHPTV is the only station I would get as I live <10 miles from it....

NHPTV is the only station we get year round. WMUR will come in when the leaves are off the trees, but other than watching the news and the NH Chronicle we're not missing much. Well, Me TV isn't bad, but most of the shows we like we either have or are on Netflix.

Hmm, using a browser would be problematic. I've been putting off getting a new home computer for a long time. I wonder if my iPad would stream it ok? That would work for me.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

LOL...nice save.

LOL, suggesting a small gov't guy watch it on PBS.....

Touche!
grin.gif

Link to the show, free and no ads.
http://video.pbs.org/program/roosevelts/

Anyone else catch this? I thought it was quite interesting. I only caught 1.5 episodes so far.

We are PVRing it, I will watch it though. I spent my .5 hour of TV time last night on the Colbert repot.
I think we actually watch more stuff on PBS than CBC these days.

It's two parts and currently airing on PBS in my neck of the woods. Watched the first part and recorded the second part that I haven't watched yet. I think Ken did a really good job so far on Teddy. He presented some facts that I wasn't aware of...even simple things like in all of Teddy's pictures, he has his hands in a fist position. Also, he lobbied hard to get himself a congressional medal of honor for the fighting in Cuba, which was a stupid war not supported by anybody, he just wanted to fight and make a name for himself. Didn't realize his ego was that big. They have also done a goood job explaining the genetic relationship between Teddy, Elenor and Franklin....Elenor was Teddy's brothers child and Franklin was a fifth cousin of Teddy. Back in those days, that was the norm for blue bloods. Curious how Ken will explain the marriage between Elenor and Franklin. We've read that there didn't seem to be a lot of love in that relationship, but they did have 6 kids so something was "up." I like the way Ken showed how Teddy went from spoiled rich kid to bully.

I think Teddy, Jr., was actually a little more interesting than Teddy

But everyone thinks of the elder when they think of Teddy Roosevelt.

They missed out on a very important few links...

TR was in Egypt only a few years after the opening of the Suez Canal and likely had been exposed to it and its possibilities...

TR was "related" to NY money even as he was an anti-monopolist, and likely had their ear when it came to industrial shipping.

The Panama Canal was 1st attempted by the builders of the Suez Canal company....

The Panama Canal would benefit most the east coast banks who were bankrolling east coast industrialists' Asian ventures and shipping from there to the East Coast...

The Spanish-American War, the take-over of Cuba's Guantanamo Bay and Puerto Rico gave the US bases to protect the only two deep water shipping lanes (between Cuba and Haiti, and between Dominican Rep. and Puerto Rico) from the Canal and the East Coast...

Hence our continuing involvement in Cuba, Haiti, the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back