Router lifespan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Had my Linksys WRT-320N on for over a thousand days, no reboots or power cycles..

My Asus routers are like that. They only time I reboot them is when I upgrade firmware.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
My current choice of router, Linksys EA2700,
has the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands, gigabit Ethernet, and the price is a stunner...

I had to change the 5 GHz band to "narrow" or 20 MHz, and the band was mixed, both "A" and "N".

Some computers will not see the 5 GHz channel, they lack the circuitry in their wireless card.

What does the 20MHz setting do? I have the EA3500. The 5GHz is just about useless because the range is so limited. The next room starts getting iffy. Could be the Galaxy S3? I don't have any other 5GHz compatable stuff to test.

Originally Posted By: hatt
What does the 20MHz setting do?

The difference between 20MHz and 40MHz is that the latter gives you twice the bandwidth by utilizing multiple channels, so in theory you're capable of faster wifi speeds; however, it also means more chances for interference from other networks (if there are other wifi networks in your vicinity). Also, some older wifi adapters don't support 40 MHz, so you might want to drop down to 20 MHz for compatibility reasons.

http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4820/3/how-to-optimise-your-wifi-signal-20-or-40-mhz

OK, thanks. Looks like it isn't something that'll help the limited 5GHz range in my situation. Not a big deal anyway. 2.4 works just fine and my desktop and PS3 are wired.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

My Asus routers are like that. They only time I reboot them is when I upgrade firmware.

Same here.

or when the hackers take over your router due to features left on by default. ;p

I think that was the case with some of the Asus firmwares. I'm running Tomato.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I think that was the case with some of the Asus firmwares. I'm running Tomato.
smile.gif

Yea was sarcasm
grin2.gif

http://www.cnet.com/news/asus-router-vulnerabilities-go-unfixed-despite-reports/

I have pfsense currently, on a celeron 1037u box with an intel dual gigabit nic.

Which probably uses way less power (and makes way less noise) than my Cisco ASA 5510
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Which probably uses way less power (and makes way less noise) than my Cisco ASA 5510
smirk.gif

now we know why your gas heating bill went down last winter. :p

it was about 20-22 watts with my evga 500b 80+ bronze

after putting in a cs450m corsair 80+gold its about 17w-18w, while upgrading at 50% processor it was 20-24w.

Which btw has second tier caps .. boo but it was only 30$ after mir.

its also nearly silent because I unplugged all the fans except the power supply and the cpu fan
both going at min speed.

router.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
or when the hackers take over your router due to features left on by default. ;p

For people that are stupid enough to just leave everything at default........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back