Steering problems on Toro rear engine riding mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1992 Toro 10-32 Model 56190 rear engine rider. The steering has been a little bit loose on it for the last year, but it worked fine. About two weeks ago I got a flat front tire while mowing and did not notice it for a bit. While I continued to mow the steering became really hard at times, like it would feel locked up intermittently and force me to apply a lot of force to turn the steering wheel. I mowed for maybe 5 or 10 minutes like this hoping the steering issue would work itself out before noticing the flat tire and shutting it down.

I just today picked up two new front tires and put them on and started mowing. Much to my dismay I could tell there was something wrong with the steering still. The steering felt more loose than it had been before the flat tire, and then after mowing for awhile became almost non responsive. I could turn the wheel freely without causing the wheels to turn. I took a quick glance under the front end and it was obvious that the steering shaft and the teeth on the bottom of it were not fitting snug into the teeth of the steering mechanism. Somehow, I have caused something to go wrong and now the steering wheel and shaft are very loose and not fitting into the steering mechanism snugly.

I have not had this issue before, and I am probably going to take off the front plate to get a better look tomorrow, but I was hoping somebody might have experience with what the problem is and what I need to do to fix it.

Here is a link to a parts diagram for my mower. The two items that I have tried to describe are numbers 31 (steering shaft) and 19 (Gear Sector plate). Those teeth on the bottom of the shaft (31) fit in the front grooves of the gear plate. Right now there is a lot of play and the teeth are not meshing and I can't turn the front tires. Does anybody have any experience with this and maybe an idea of what I did to break it and what I need to do to fix it? Thanks for any help.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Jacks-Parts-Lookup/Model-Diagram/TORO/36185/4378

Jeff

Last edited:
Ive had that happen on a few older riding mowers.

I've always liked Toro walk-behinds, nevermind the oil-puking Tecumsehs.

If yours is in good shape other than the steering, it can be fixed if you find a good metal fabber to make a new sector gear plate and steering gear. Maybe $50 or so.

Be sure to slather bearing grease on the new gears and related steering parts.

How it happened is a good question. Wear? Ive seen some tractor chassis get bent/warped from uneven terrain just enough to get the gears misaligned. Flat tires makes it harder to steer and stresses the steering components.

Check everything you can for excess slop. Pull the steering wheel up and down as well.

Just a few ideas, good luck with it. Keep us posted!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back