Purolator is listening

Status
Not open for further replies.
So during all the wailing here about torn filters, I contacted Purolator... politely... and they got back to me... back and forth... I challenged them to restore my trust. They are trying to do just that.

So the deal is, they sent me filters and return kits for all 3 of my vehicles, I'll use them for one OCI and send them back for a lab analysis. I get free filters and free data and they get a chance to earn my trust back.

There is some minor risk on my part that I'll run a torn filter again. My Honda had a small tear on its Classic and now I'll be running the equivalent PureOne, which has a lower but documented propensity to tear. It's had a Wix for ~ 3K now, I'm going to end that OCI early to get on with the test. I think I'll end the P1 OCI at 5K instead of 7.5 like I usually do. It's getting older and I was thinking about dialing back the OCI from the factory 7.5K to 5K anyway.

So I'm thinking I may do some UOA's or at least one on the Honda. Maybe I need a VOA or a UOA on the last oil drain. Thoughts?

I'm also thinking about non-invasive ways to check for tears, since I cannot cut the can on a filter I'm returning. The only thing I can think of is to stick a very bright light in the center tube and checking the inlet holes for light.

I'll take notes and pics and report back when it's all wrapped up... in about a year.
smile.gif
Sorry! It takes time for tests like this. For now I'll try to answer questions in this thread, except for "how do I get free filters" or Purolator contact info. Everything you need to contact Purolator is already known here.

Let me see if I understand this; a few questions. You contacted them, they sent you filters to try and sent back the used filters? Are these filters some kind of upgraded improved filter, or the same filters people have been having problems with? Thanks!

Will they pay for an engine if it did have a catastrophic failure? I know unlikely but I would want to know the answer to that ahead of time before I provided them my car as a test mule.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Will they pay for an engine if it did have a catastrophic failure? I know unlikely but I would want to know the answer to that ahead of time before I provided them my car as a test mule.

How is a tear in an oil filter going to cause catastrophic failure? It's not an ideal situation, but it isn't going to cause the engine to lose oil pressure. A tear is no different than the filter going into bypass.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
How is a tear in an oil filter going to cause catastrophic failure? It's not an ideal situation, but it isn't going to cause the engine to lose oil pressure. A tear is no different than the filter going into bypass.

The only difference is it's effectively in bypass all of the time instead of "not all of the time". I don't lose a bit of sleep over it. I've cut open each one of the last 3 or 4 xL14610s I've used and none of have any tears. If I found a tear, I don't think I'd feel like my heart was ripped out of my chest.

Maybe.

But probably not.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

The only difference is it's effectively in bypass all of the time instead of "not all of the time". I don't lose a bit of sleep over it. I've cut open each one of the last 3 or 4 xL14610s I've used and none of have any tears. If I found a tear, I don't think I'd feel like my heart was ripped out of my chest.

Maybe.

But probably not.

Like I said I know unlikely but its still possible. Plus I was thinking about the filter failing in other ways....if they can't get the pleats correctly why would I trust them to get the rest correctly? Just because we have not seen any other part fail? There is a thread here that C&D claimed a new Corvette engine was taken out due to the oil filter....still not sure if thats the cause....however its possible. So all I was saying dishdude is I would not provide my car for them to test their filters in unless I knew the answer to this question first. Why do it for 3 free filters? That is less than $30. Not worth it....Purolator is big enough to provide their own engines....and if this is about regaining trust....if that is that important to the OP then I get it.

In that case I get the same deal that every Fram, Purolator and other filter manufacturer user gets. I have my guy tear down my engine. I send the filter to the filter manufacturer for them to examine. If both agree that filter failure debris destroyed the engine, the filter manufacturer gets to buy me a new engine (hopefully!)

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Let me see if I understand this; a few questions. You contacted them, they sent you filters to try and sent back the used filters?

Yes.
Are these filters some kind of upgraded improved filter, or the same filters people have been having problems with? Thanks!

Nothing special or upgraded that I know of. Two PureOne cans, one PL14610 for Hondas which occurs 6 times in failures spreadsheet, the other a PL14670 for a Dakota 3.9L, and one filter cartridge for a Corolla 1.8L. The latter two don't appear in the failures spreadsheet.

But that's kind of the point. You're assuming that you're getting good filtration of the oil, but you're not because there is a tear in the media. Might as well just be running an empty can at that point.

You get free $3 filters and they get to test out how it caused your engine to fail?

Might be me but that seems like the short end of the stick. Almost like a sponsored test dummy.

Did you come to an agreement if your engine meets its demise?

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

But that's kind of the point. You're assuming that you're getting good filtration of the oil, but you're not because there is a tear in the media. Might as well just be running an empty can at that point.

Which isn't going to hurt anything for only 3 OCIs, unless the engine is full of sludge grit that might break loose or is still breaking in and shedding large metal particles.

Who is to say that a piece of media couldn't tear off the edge of the tear and go into the engine? On some engines, it wouldn't take a very big piece to cause a problem. Plus, as was mentioned above, if the engine isn't that clean then debris that should have been filtered could make it's way through the tear and down into the oiling system.

Just saying, when the media tears, there is no guarantee that something will never happen. Yes, the risk is small but still the chance.

Guess my question to Purolator would be: "Why don't you run the filters in a lab to simulate extreme use conditions to verify they don't tear in the field?".

Using a consumer's vehicle as a test mule is kind of a Mickey Mouse way to test reliability.

Originally Posted By: HangFire

Are these filters some kind of upgraded improved filter, or the same filters people have been having problems with? Thanks!

Nothing special or upgraded that I know of. Two PureOne cans, one PL14610 for Hondas which occurs 6 times in failures spreadsheet, the other a PL14670 for a Dakota 3.9L, and one filter cartridge for a Corolla 1.8L. The latter two don't appear in the failures spreadsheet.

Thanks for clearing that up. Honestly unless they gave you an improved filter I'd tell them to keep the filters they sent and test them themselves.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

I don't know why everyone is saying this. I don't buy it. Those tiny tears are going to allow several GALLONS per minute through them? Most of the tears are not even completely wide open tears like a bypass valve. I agree that it's a problem, but I don't see how it's equivalent to running an empty can.

I just don't think its worth being purolators test mule for a few free filters. If my trust was gone in a company it would take more than that to earn it back. I would want them to tell me......im sorry for our mistake....here is our new improved filter that we have tested ourselves and would like to see what you think of these. Please send these new improved filters back. Thank you. Now if they said that it would be different.....but this just doesnt sound the same.

I just don't think its worth being purolators test mule for a few free filters. If my trust was gone in a company it would take more than that to earn it back. I would want them to tell me......im sorry for our mistake....here is our new improved filter that we have tested ourselves and would like to see what you think of these. Please send these new improved filters back. Thank you. Now if they said that it would be different.....but this just doesnt sound the same.

Exactly. Putting a filter on with a known problem, even if the % is minimal it isn't worth it to me. OTOH if they sent me a new and improved filter count me in.

My analogy: Your significant other is cheating on you. Says she'll stop and will take lie detector tests periodically. She arranges the tests and tells you the results.

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
My analogy: Your significant other is cheating on you. Says she'll stop and will take lie detector tests periodically. She arranges the tests and tells you the results.

LOL

Originally Posted By: ledslinger

Isn't that what the oil companies do when they do comparison testing? Pay for the test, get the results they're after?
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back