FireClean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, I'm still fairly new on here. Still getting my bearings and doing a lot of catch up reading. But I just wanted to see if anyone has used this product.

A little background. I'm a long time shooter, and have used ALOT of different cleaners and lubes over the years.

Like most, I started with Rem oil and Hoppe's. Once I realized there was more to life than that, I tried and used a lot of things over the years.

Ed's Red, Mobile-1 10w-30, Mpro-7, Militec-1, Ballistol, white lithium grease to name a few, and more Breakfree CLP than everything else put together. Even known to use silicone spray if that's all I had on me when I needed it.

All in all. I was happy with the cheap and basic stuff. It worked very well.

I never really believed any hype to any of "miracle" products. I didn't hop on the froglube bandwagon like a lot of people. And I stopped using Militec because I was too lazy to use heat for proper application, and it never really improved performance enough for my application of shooting.

Everything else was just snake oil in my opinion. Not worth it.

Then my cousin just would not shut up about this new product he was using called FireClean. He swore it was the best. Then my Dad wouldn't stop talking about it. I just laughed it off and said I was fine with what I had.

They gave me a free bottle, Which sat unused for a few months. Finally I decided to see what the heck all the hype was about. I stripped my regular AR and my .22lr AR clean of all other lubes and greases, and applied as directed.

All I can say, is HOLY [censored]. Snake oil that actually performs as advertised. That is an absolute first for me.

The product itself is a "CLP style" multipurpose chemical. One bottle does everything, no separate cleaners and lube needed.

It also acts more so like a metal "conditioner", in a similar fashion as Froglube, Militec and Slip-2000. It supposedly Gets down into the micro pores in the metal to provide an extra slick firing condition. Unlike these other products, it doesn't require any heat to apply.

The biggest, and most outlandish claim, was that it acts as a carbon repellent. Carbon will not cake on or stick to any conditioned surfaces. No scrubbing or scraping needed. Just a wipe with cloth.

It is also COMPLETELY odorless, and non-toxic. Seriously... I though that the bottle was filled with water and I was being gagged. No smell whatsoever from the bottle or on my fingers when I was done.

Proper initial application takes a few days. They tell you to strip all other oils and grease off of your gun. Then you give all your parts a liberal coating of FireClean and wait over night (or until it looks dry). You then reapply 1-2 more times until the metal stops soaking in the conditioner and stays "wet".

As a general purpose lube, it definitely made everything slicker, and it stayed wet longer. It even noticeably made an auditory difference when cycling the bolt by hand.

So I went shooting, putting around 200 rounds thru my 5.56, and about 400 thru my .22lr.

When I got home, not only did I find everything was still very slick and wet, but there was significantly less carbon and gunk on my bolt and in my chamber. And none of it was dry, it looked more like a chamber that I had already soaked and did a once over scrubbing with CLP. I took a clean shop towel (no cleaner on it), and wiped about 90% off like it was nothing. A couple of q-tips, a couple of drops to dislodge some deep down grime and another pass of a towel, and that was that. Then I just used a single q-tip with a drop or two on the end to liberally wet everything again.

It really does not take a lot of this product to lube and clean very much. I used to have to get pretty liberal with my CLP to get the job done. And that still involved some scrubbing. I'd say I only use an average of 6-8 drops totally per gun, and that is probably more than needed.

I also find this is very handy for guns like my Ruger 22/45, which is a bit of a pain in the [censored] to disassemble. It stays very wet, and I only need to wipe it out from the chamber when I'm done.

There are two downsides of this product is the price. About $15 for a 2oz bottle. However, a 2oz bottle lasts a LONG time considering how little is needed.

The other thing, is that it is not supposed to be used in conjunction with other oils and greases. My dad had applied some to one of his 1911s (which had a very tight tolerance to begin with) without stripping any of the grease off. He let it sit in the closet for awhile, and when he took it out, the slide was slightly gummed up and moving like a slow hydraulic. A couple of drops immediately loosed it up to normal so we could shoot it that day, but he has since stripped and re lubed the gun. I think this may have just been because of the already very tight tolerances.

I'm not an oil guru, I actually joined this site to learn more on how things work, but I felt this was worth sharing.

Most of my guns high volume shooting guns are on a strictly FireClean diet, mainly my .22lrs, my ARs and a couple of my pistols. However, I still use other cleaners and lubes for certain firearms and certain parts of firearms. Such as Tri-Flow on some of my steel magazines, Ballistol for my hunting rifle and surplus rifles, and grease on my M1A, and Ed's Red for my barrels (mostly because I have tons of it left).

I promise I'm not affiliated with the company in any way. I just really was surprised that a skeptic like myself could be converted.

It's expensive and just OK in my view. I keep a few guns in my collection lubed with FireClean and it doesn't really stand out, especially considering the price, in my opinion.

My go to gun lubes are Weapon Shield, Breakfree LP (not CLP), M-Pro 7, and G96 synthetic CLP. The price/performance ratio is fantastic on all four of these.

+1 ...I would add Slip 2000 EWL to that list as well .
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
It's expensive and just OK in my view. I keep a few guns in my collection lubed with FireClean and it doesn't really stand out, especially considering the price, in my opinion.

My go to gun lubes are Weapon Shield, Breakfree LP (not CLP), M-Pro 7, and G96 synthetic CLP. The price/performance ratio is fantastic on all four of these.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
+1 ...I would add Slip 2000 EWL to that list as well

Yes I forgot about Slip 2000 EWL. I use that on several of my carbines as well and it is a top shelf gun lube for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back