Run a Fram Ultra For 2 ~ 3 OCI's ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a vehicle which uses conventional dino SN rated oil at a 4K mile OCI .
The oil filter is a pain to get at so curious if ok to run a Fram Ultra for 2 to 3 OCI's with again each OCI not exceeding 4K miles ? Engine is older but not sludged and kept up well ...Your thoughts ?

I vote yes, run the FU for 2-3 OCIs - but don't put more than about 2 years/12,000 miles on one filter. Cut the filter open after you finally change it to make sure it held up OK.

IMO yes. I plan on going 15K to 20K on the ones I'm using. Depending on the car 2 to 4 oil changes.

The oil filter has no idea how many times you've changed the oil. Measure its life in miles or time, not in how often you change the oil.

A Fram Ultra is easily capable of 10,000 miles in many situations. If your engine is clean, then you're probably a good candidate for using the filter for 8-12k miles, yes.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I run 5K oci's with the Ultra filter on my son's 2003 Monte Carlo SS V6 and change it every other oil change.

This makes sense to me.

Yes run it for 3 changes, maybe 4! The Ultras are rated conservatively for 15k miles in almost all applications and with you changing the oil so many times you are probably surpassing that since there will be overall less contamination in the 15k interval.

The synthetic media doesn't know time at all. It could take you 5 years to get 15,000 miles and it would still look the same as a 6 month 15k oci.

Acura TSX in my sig is getting 7.5K mile changes on synthetic 5W20 with Fram Ultra filter changed every other, total of 15K miles on filter per change. No problems, oil is clean. Chrysler in my sig gets 5K mile changes on dino 10W30 with Fram Ultra filter changed every other.

I do something similar on my Ford Fiesta. I run (2) 7,500 mile OCI's on one Fram Ultra. So far so good.

Definitely. I run MC 820's for two 5000 OCI's on my daughters Lincoln after seeing lots of pictorial evidence and personal accounts in this forum. ZERO issues. The Fram Ultra has even higher capacity. ZERO worries.

Yep, another vote for 3-4. I do this on a 2000 Camry with the 5SFE. Each time the filter looks great upon inspection (unless its plugged at a tiny level that i can't tell).

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
I have a vehicle which uses conventional dino SN rated oil at a 4K mile OCI .
The oil filter is a pain to get at so curious if ok to run a Fram Ultra for 2 to 3 OCI's with again each OCI not exceeding 4K miles ? Engine is older but not sludged and kept up well ...Your thoughts ?
No.

Even the biggest 3k mile oil changers believe you can run the same oil filter many many ocis.

I say go for it.... at least for 2 - OCI - I'm planning on running the Fram Ultra on my Accord for at least 2x 5k OCI, maybe 3.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
Even the biggest 3k mile oil changers believe you can run the same oil filter many many ocis.
Would you care to try for two out of three?

Originally Posted By: telecat
Originally Posted By: Apollo14
Would you care to try for two out of three?

Not really understanding what you're saying. Can you explain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back