TGMO 0W-20, 13 Avalon Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Code:

Hi,

I'm new & hope this post works. Also, I'm not sold on this 0W stuff for warn WX, but am coming around.

DON: This first sample from your Avalon's hybrid motor is a beautiful thing. Wear metals look fantastic compared to

universal averages, which show typical wear after just 6,700 miles on the oil for the few samples we've seen (this is a

relatively new motor). There was no contamination like fuel, moisture, coolant, or excessive silicon present here, and

the oil itself held up well. The viscosity was fine, and the TBN of 5.7 shows plenty of active additive left since 1.0 or less

is considered low. Looks great! This oil should be fine for another 2,000-3,000 miles of use.

Car had about 4K interstate mi on at speed limit plus 10 on this OC.

Code:

OIL Virgin TGMO TGMO

OIL VIS 0W-20 0W-20

MILES IN USE 0 7413

MILES on VEH 0 40814

SAMPLE DATE 09/14 09/14

ALUMINUM 0 2

CHROMIUM 0 0

IRON 0 4

COPPER 0 0

LEAD 0 1

TIN 0 0

MOLYBDENUM 95 36

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 0 0

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 4 0

BORON 4 1

SILICON 3 9

SODIUM 1 4

CALCIUM 2111 2182

MAGNESIUM 10 14

PHOSPHORUS 692 668

ZINC 796 798

BARIUM 0 0

SUS VIS @ 2100 F 53.6 50.6

cST Vis @ 1000C 8.37 7.46

Flashpoint in 0F 420 400

Fuel % -
Antifreeze % - 0

Water % 0.0 0

Insolubles TR 0.2

TBN 7.8 5.7

TAN

ISO Code

Looks to be protecting the engine just fine... Run it 10K. Isn't that what Toyota specs for maintenance?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
That wear is insanely low! Never seen a fresh engine so low. TGMO is the top 0w20 in my book.

It has 40K miles on it, not exactly "fresh", but it still has excellent wear numbers.

^ I was going to say that as well... but then again, 40k for a Toyota is technically just breaking in, considering that this engine should easily do 300k+

Originally Posted By: Artem
^ I was going to say that as well... but then again, 40k for a Toyota is technically just breaking in, considering that this engine should easily do 300k+

Your right about that.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: Artem

Your right about that.

You're

Viscosity sheared about 12%, but is still in grade.
Otherwise, everything looks good.
Oil change interval could be extended.

Does the vehicle provide you with actual hours run on the engine? Might be useful given that it is a hybrid. The mileage in this case isn't representative of the same mileage on a non-hybrid vehicle.

UOA looks excellent though. Definitely fit for continued service.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Viscosity sheared about 12%, but is still in grade.

To nitpick it's viscosity loss since there is some fuel dilution. But I'm willing to bet the oil is out of grade by new oil standards if the HTHSV was tested.... Point being 12% kinematic viscosity loss isn't much but since most 20 grade oils are at the HTHSV minimum for the grade, most 20 grade users are already running a
16 grade oil....

What I found strange with this UOA was the big drop in the moly level vs the VOA which AFAIK just doesn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back