1. What kind of vehicle you have 2. What your owne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. First time poster with a question on oil for newly rebuilt engine in a 2006 Subaru STI. I need 2 types of oil recommendations, one for breaking in the engine and then one for when it is broken in. Below is as much info as i can think of but let me know if you need more.

1. Subaru 2006 STI with fully forged internals
2. Engine is a EJ25 turbo changed DOHC
3. Queensland, Australia (Winter 1 Degc Summer 35 to 40 Degc)
4. My weekend car so gets driven hard
5. Use it for short drives all the way to long highway drives when going to the coast on weekends
6. Car has no issues apart from being driven like what I built it for

5w-40 or 10w-40

What are your options in AUS for something in that range that is cost effective?

Many turbo Subaru owners here run Rotella T6 5w-40. Is there a Shell or Delvac equivalent available to you?

Welcome fellow Queenslander!
Penrite do a product called running in oil, which is a 15w40 dino used for the first fill in new rebuilds
After that there are a few good oils around, Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 and Penrite hpr10 10w50, and Mobil 1 5w50 is sold in Big W, all are excellent oils for cars that see plenty of high revs

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
Welcome fellow Queenslander!
Penrite do a product called running in oil, which is a 15w40 dino used for the first fill in new rebuilds
After that there are a few good oils around, Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 and Penrite hpr10 10w50, and Mobil 1 5w50 is sold in Big W, all are excellent oils for cars that see plenty of high revs

Thanks for the suggestions 19jacobob93, i will look the penrite oil sounds good. Whats your thoughts on 40 vs 50 weight in our climate?

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
5w-40 or 10w-40

What are your options in AUS for something in that range that is cost effective?

Many turbo Subaru owners here run Rotella T6 5w-40. Is there a Shell or Delvac equivalent available to you?

I believe we can just about get most brands and weights, just cost a bit more.
I was looking into the Rotella T6 as i had seen it recommended before.

Just looking at the penrite run in oil

Description
Running In Oil is a premium mineral, SAE 15W-40, non friction modified, engine oil. It contains HIGH ZINC (exceeding 1600+ ppm levels) for ultimate engine wear protection during the running in period for re-built or new crate engines.

Is it a myth that that having high zinc isn't advisable for breaking in an engine as it hinders the bedding in of the rings etc?

Mobil 1 0w40 is spec in Porsche water boxer turbo engines for all climates.
It might be worth looking at, its hard to find an oil that meets as many specs as this one.

I am not familiar with the break in oil mentioned but a dedicated break in oil is a good thing.

Last edited:
What you say about the rings having to bed is true which is why the oil has no friction modifiers so will allow this to happen, but uses a high zinc content instead (which is probably more effective on cam lobes and main bearings rather than rings) so that your engine doesn't completely wear out before it's run in! I'm sure they put a lot of research and testing into this product so I'd trust it and definitely use it
smile.gif

As for 40 and 50 weight oils I wouldn't worry too much as their cold flow rating is still 5w or 10w, whereas a 20w50 would be too thick when cold so i'd avoid it.
From what I've heard the Mobil 1 is top notch, still has a 5w flow rate when cold and the extra protection of a 50 when hot
smile.gif

I'll be switching from 10w30 to 10w40 in the Falcon next time cause the thinner oil is making the lifters rattle more as the weather heats up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back