oil for VW 2.0T FSI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been doing a lot of searching but I'm still not sure which oil would be best for my girlfriend's 07 gti.

As it is, I'm leaning towards either Mobil 1 0w 40 or rotella t6. I was going to go with the Mobil but some have said that's a poor choice for this engine... But I'm not sure why.

I've used t6 in my b5 s4 for awhile but I'm not sure that'd be the best for winter... Especially since my gf doesn't give the car any warm up time in the mornings.

Suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

Use an oil that meets VW's VW 504 and/or VW 507 spec. This engine is known to have intake valve deposit issues. Using the right oil helps offset the deposit issue supposedly in my opinion. Google FSI intake valves in Google Images and be prepared to be disgusted.

If you want to use a VW 502 oil, I'd use Castrol 0W40. Castrol has scored very good in TEOST deposit testing and hopefully the 0W40 flavor is no exception.

If the vehicle is in warranty I'd run the approved 0w40. If not in warranty my vote would be Rotella T6. I run T6 in my Jetta, no complaints and it did not argue in the rare 10* mornings we had last winter. Most of those mornings I started it up and promptly got on the highway.

Thanks for the replies! I'm leaning towards the t6, despite the warranty issues but I'll have to look into the vw 504 and 507 oils mentioned. I had been using liquimoly 5 40 but I'd like something more readily available and cheaper, since the car was using a quart every thousand miles.

Another question though. I thought I read that 502 was still recommended in the states because of fuel quality or something. Should I be concerned about that?

Originally Posted By: Dubs
I had been using liquimoly 5 40 but I'd like something more readily available and cheaper,

Both M1 0w-40 and Castrol 0w-40 are readily available and both are cheaper than even Rotella T6.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I had been using liquimoly 5 40 but I'd like something more readily available and cheaper,

Both M1 0w-40 and Castrol 0w-40 are readily available and both are cheaper than even Rotella T6.

Some have reported less cam follower wear using a HDEO, a common issue on (earlier iirc) 2.0T's.

Originally Posted By: Delta
Some have reported less cam follower wear using a HDEO,

What is it in HDEO that results in less wear? I mean, M1 0w-40 has a stronger add pack than Rotella T6.

What is it in HDEO that results in less wear? I mean, M1 0w-40 has a stronger add pack than Rotella T6.

I guess you got me there, I scientifically do not know. I do remember when I was researching VW's before buying mine there were a couple threads on it. Could be smoke and mirrors... Either way, not sure about the OP's location, but in my backwoods area M1 and GC 0w40 is hard to find albeit at AP stores for almost $38 for 5-1/2qt jugs. Whereas RT6 is always available around $22/gal. There have been rare cases I found M1 for $24 ish for 5qts, so indeed cheaper when found in my area.

Thanks for the replies! I'm leaning towards the t6, despite the warranty issues but I'll have to look into the vw 504 and 507 oils mentioned. I had been using liquimoly 5 40 but I'd like something more readily available and cheaper, since the car was using a quart every thousand miles.

Another question though. I thought I read that 502 was still recommended in the states because of fuel quality or something. Should I be concerned about that?

That is TFSI engine not TSI engine. I would stay away from VW504.00/507.00 oils in TFSI application due to higher fuel dilution then in newer TSI engine. That higher fuel dilution will affect TBN retention.
I would go with M1 0W40 or Castrol 0W40. Both have very good deposit control since both meet MB 229.5.
Also, if you want some oil with lower TBN due to valve intake deposit issue, go with Mid-SAPS oils such as Pentosin Pento II 5W40 or Motul X-Clean 5W40.

if money was no object,

http://renewablelube.com/gasoline.html

for the 5w40. Not sure on the Low-SAPS version, as the reputation is with the original SHP 5w40 with this forum, back in the day when RI_RS4 was active.

Unfortunately, contrary to everyone since the RI_RS4 days.... M1 0w40 was not well received on those threads.

I am suspecting it has something to do with HDEOs being thicker. A lot of mechanics I have talked to say that cam follower wear is usually a sign that the oil is getting too thin.

Originally Posted By: deven

I am suspecting it has something to do with HDEOs being thicker. A lot of mechanics I have talked to say that cam follower wear is usually a sign that the oil is getting too thin.

Can anyone tell me at what mileage cam follower is going bad? I mean I have 74K of hard mileage on my car, using GC, M1 0W40, M1 ESP 5W30, and still waiting for cam follower to go bad.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
"Can anyone tell me at what mileage cam follower is going bad? I mean I have 74K of hard mileage on my car, using GC, M1 0W40, M1 ESP 5W30, and still waiting for cam follower to go bad."

Your vehicles have the roller cam follower instead of the wear prone flat tappet follower.

Here's a 13 page PDF explaining differences of the boosted 2.0 VW's.
http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f3e01bf511d4da3315c66902d6.r6.cf1.rackcdn.com/FSIvTSI.pdf

I know there was a redesign.
However, considering cost of the part, it is not big deal.
M1 0W40 is not too thin for that TFSI considering cst of 13.5 and HTHS of 3.8.
If OP wants thicker oil, I would personally go with Pentosin 5W40.

you do realize.... that TSI is just a badge, right?

prior to the ea888 engines.... their was another TSI engine, the 1.4L turbo/supercharged direct injected motor in the MKV Golf GT (but had a roller follower also)

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

prior to the ea888 engines.... their was another TSI engine, the 1.4L turbo/supercharged direct injected motor in the MKV Golf GT (but had a roller follower also)

You do realize that Golf GTI 2007 had EA113 engine as Passat 2007 (B6)? The badge changed when EA888 replaced EA113.
He is asking question about EA113, and simpler way to explain difference is just to mention badging.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

You do realize that Golf GTI 2007 had EA113 engine as Passat 2007 (B6)? The badge changed when EA888 replaced EA113.
He is asking question about EA113, and simpler way to explain difference is just to mention badging.

says, the guy with the ea888 asking about replacing the cam follower....

and the Golf R, has a TSI badge, even though it has a ea113 engine.

2009-volkswagen-golf-r-027.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back