Does Pleat Count Matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
The OEM filter for my Silverado was packed tight with deep pleats.

The Fram version was so skimpy, that they had put 3 beads of glue across the pleats to try to keep the spacing of the pleats even and in place. They were still wavy, and unevenly spaced... and weren't anywhere as deep as the OE filter.

No thanks, Fram.

The beads of glue is not to make the filter look pretty with even pleat spacing. It's there because the same filter is also used on the Durmax up to 05. The glue keeps the turbo form sucking the pleats together and choking off the turbo/engine.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: dkryan
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Yearly air filter changes aren't optimal for efficiency. Air filters gain efficiency as the dirty side gets dirty. Set a solid interval based on your environment and stick to it. Probably 30k for dusty areas and 60k for normal. Hard cut off at 5 years due to rubber age.

True, the air filter may gain "efficiency" as it loads up with dirt and debris. But at some point (and probably sooner than most think) the amount of filtered air sent to the engine will decline noticeably. And probably your gas mileage, as well.

I've heard the same logic with HVAV filters, depending upon the system.

This wouldn't be true for gas engines. The gas engines do not suffer large MPG hits with a dirty filter even at maximum restriction.

A diesel engine will show a difference with a loaded filter, but not gas EFI.

You may experience a difference in butt dyno with a new filter, but actual acceleration isn't much difference either.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/air_filter_effects_02_26_2009.pdf

Turbo Diesel like efi gas engines will not have much if any loss of fuel mileage. The turbo will just spool harder to make the boost that the computer is calling for. The gas will just reduce the pulse width (lean the mixture out). Both engines have sensors that will compensate for a used filter. There are limits of course...like the person that "just drives and wonders why the engine blows up because of no oil and collapsed air filter.

Quote:
Isn't the quality of the media a factor, as well?

The porosity and type of media determine the filtering efficiency.

Any filter is a compromise between flow rate and particulate trapping.

A filter is usually designed for maximum flow and a trapping efficiency sufficient only to trap particles that might damage internals.

Good point. I would think pleat count would only be meaningful IF the same media was used. I know the filter on the 2003 5.3L is much smaller can than the one on the 2002 4.3L so I hope it has better media.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: GaleHawkins

Good point. I would think pleat count would only be meaningful IF the same media was used. I know the filter on the 2003 5.3L is much smaller can than the one on the 2002 4.3L so I hope it has better media.
smile.gif

But that wasn't the OP's question.

Quote:
...why there is such a difference in the number of pleats.

Quote:
The depth of the filter AND the number of pleats determine surface area, and area is the important factor here.

If the depth of the filter is the same for both brands, then the filter with more pleats will have a larger surface area.

Quote:
The porosity and type of media determine the filtering efficiency.

The greater the surface area, or the "capture" area, the better the chance of trapping particles, AND the more flow you will have, all else being equal.

How much it flows versus trapping of various size particles is dependent upon media type.

From Camfil:

Quote:
Filter efficiency is the ratio of particles trapped by a filter over the total number of particles found in the air upstream of the filter. A count of the downstream particles is often used to determine the number of particles trapped by the filter. Filter efficiency can either be based on specific particle size ranges or based on the total number of particles of all sizes. There are numerous testing procedures utilized for determining filter efficiency.

Particles Trapped / Particles Upstream = Filter Efficiency

(Particles Upstream - Particles Downstream) / Particles Upstream = Filter Efficiency

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
The OEM filter for my Silverado was packed tight with deep pleats.

The Fram version was so skimpy, that they had put 3 beads of glue across the pleats to try to keep the spacing of the pleats even and in place. They were still wavy, and unevenly spaced... and weren't anywhere as deep as the OE filter.

No thanks, Fram.

Fram makes great air (and oil) filters. Use with confidence.

FRAM makes pretty good Koolaid too!!!

But every now and then, a batch will squeeze by the fiber endcaps.

You don't want to drink that.....
smile.gif
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back