Need adhesive advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Short story: Daughters 2000 Chevy Silverado extended cab was hit in parking lot, on drivers side door. The strip of trim thats about 3" wide that runs the length of the door has been peeled loose for about the last 8" or so. The rest of it remains firmly attached.

What is the best adhesive to use to reattach this loose end? I want it very firmly reattached so it will survive car washings, etc. Thanks for your advice.

+2 on the 3M tape. Clean it well and when you apply the tape, I use Painters tape to keep it held down (overnight if possible) so that the tape adheres fully.

Regards, JC.

The particular tape you want is 3M VHB tape. It's also used to hold things like spoiler lips on cars. If you can find it under it's original name and not "trim" tape you'll pay less and get more. I think I remember seeing VHB tape in Home Depot. Clean very well with alcohol on both surfaces to be bonded make sure not to touch the surfaces after cleaning, press down and let bond overnight.

Is that the tape with the red plastic pull off strip?
That's the one i use, i think the one i linked to is the same because i bought it at advance but maybe not,
Try the adhesive promoter, the difference in bond strength between that and alcohol is night and day. The first time i tried it i was shocked, not cheap but worth every penny.

On a 3" molding with a flat back i use a strip of 3/4 or 1/2" around the whole perimeter and it holds forever.

Make sure you get the black rubberized tape, not the white foam tape. Another thing, use blue painters tape to make a guide so you put the molding back on straight. Basically, you stick the tape on one end of the door, putt it straight and stick it down on the other end of the door. This will make a straight-line guide so you can restick the molding along the edge of the tape. As others said, remove the entire molding, clean area behind it very well, remove all the old adhesive from the molding, apply the double sided rubber tape, and reinstall.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Is that the tape with the red plastic pull off strip?
That's the one i use, i think the one i linked to is the same because i bought it at advance but maybe not,
Try the adhesive promoter, the difference in bond strength between that and alcohol is night and day. The first time i tried it i was shocked, not cheap but worth every penny.

On a 3" molding with a flat back i use a strip of 3/4 or 1/2" around the whole perimeter and it holds forever.

The adhesion promoter is nice for a quick bond but I can assure you, VHB tape is used in the aerospace field to hold aluminum skins of planes without the adhesion promoter. The way it works is it takes time, for most cases upwards of a week, for the viscoelastic glue to fully work it's way into the microscopic pores of the material it's bonding to. The adhesion promoter just makes this happen faster. The ultimate strength of the bond isn't any better with the adhesion promoter. It's just faster. Alcohol or MEK for bare metal/anodized aluminum will work just as well if not a little slower to full cure strength.

Sounds good but it seems 3M disagrees with you. 3M claims better adhesion.
From my own experience this is true but i emailed 3M for a definitive answer.

Originally Posted By: 3M
3M Automotive Adhesion Promoter 06396 is recommended for tape bonding to all plastic substrates.
Please contact your 3M sales representative with application or performance questions

3M Adhesion Promoter 06396 is a liquid primer used to improve the adhesion of
3M Automotive Attachment Tapes to most low surface energy plastic materials as
well as injection- molded body side moldings and claddings used for automotive
exterior trims.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebser...%20Paper_R1.pdf

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebser...06382_3_4_6.pdf

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebser...tasheet6396.pdf

Edit: About VHB tapes in particular.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en...d=1361596607182

Adhesion Promoters: Priming a surface can significantly improve initial and ultimate adhesion to many materials such as plastics and paints.

Last edited:
Of course the place that makes the adhesion promoter would tell you the adhesive tape will work better with it...that way they can sell you another product.

The sticky feel is just an acrylate sealant it'll eventually harden into a matte surface which will promote adhesion for difficult to bond surfaces but automotive paint and bare metal are not difficult to bond surfaces. The adhesion promoter is better used to seal off plasticizers from migrating from plastics like soft pvc or urethanes to the adhesive weakening the bond.

Like what was said 3M will tell you you need to buy their VHB tape, their specific cleaner, VHB primer, VHB promoter. And heck this is an automotive use, don't forget to buy their 3M compounds to clean the paint prior to using the cleaner, they got plastic protectant too which I'm sure someone in their marketing division will tell you is made to be compatible with VHB adhesive.

Or just do what the factory OEM's do and what the aerospace guys do that's good enough to, you know fly hundreds of thousands of people everyday. Clean with alcohol or mek, apply tape, press tape or roll it. Let cure and call it a day. There are specific uses for the adhesion promoter in aerospace. The procedures are called out when to use it and sticking trim pieces to painted panels is not one of them. So why think a simple trim panel piece absolutely needs it? Heck even spoilers which have to deal with lots of wind and stress stuck on painted panels don't need the adhesion promoter, dealers and factory oems don't use the adhesion promoter. If it was vital to the bond I'm pretty sure they'd use it but they don't.

Sorry we are going to have to agree to disagree on this. I believe 3M knows their product and what makes it work best.
I have used the tape on plastics to paint and the bond was not only quicker but stronger with it.

If you look at their chart they say for aluminum MEK and IPA will work fine so its not IMHO that they are trying to push something thats not necessary.
Whatever don't use it and i will it makes no difference to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back