Mobil 15w-50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2013 road Star and was wondering about using this in it. Notice not the 20w-50 Mobil . I posted this on a Road Star forum and was looking for more opinions.

I have used it for almost 80k miles in my BMW R1150RT. It is an excellent oil, for an application like yours. The limitation would be if it had friction modifiers that might cause issues with your wet clutch. Mobil 1 15/50 does not.....I know lots of people that use it with wet clutches, without any problem

There is a fellow here who has the baddest hog on the planet and runs Rotella in it. Be prepared to be straightened out.

I used it in my Road Star's when I had them. Run it in the Harley's too. Walmart had it on sale last week.

Mobil tech support will tell you to only use their motorcycle specific oil with the viscosity recommended by the manufacturer, no exceptions.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Mobil tech support will tell you to only use their motorcycle specific oil with the viscosity recommended by the manufacturer, no exceptions.

You must be really good at obeying rules.....No matter how little sense they make.

Shell would tell you not to run T6 in gas engines, and never in a MC, yet it works great in many such applications.

Oil manufacturers listen to their attorneys......No exceptions.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

You must be really good at obeying rules.....No matter how little sense they make.

Shell would tell you not to run T6 in gas engines, and never in a MC, yet it works great in many such applications.

I was reporting what Mobil tech states about their product. You don't need to speak for me. I'm capable of stating my own opinion and nowhere in that posting did I state my opinion on the subject. I just thought that Mobil tech was a reasonable source for information on their products.

And to answer your statement about Shell T6 for motorcycles, a Shell rep at the Arizona proving grounds this past spring, told me that the lack of "friction modifiers" in Rotella T6 means their product does not interfere with wet clutch operation and as an over all package makes an excellent motorcycle oil. It appears that you should also let Shell speak for themselves, too.

So following what the manufacturer of the lubricant (and by extension, the manufacturer of the machinery) tells you is making "little" sense?

And Shell recommends you do not, in some statements. They may have valid and technical reasons for doing so. However they don't prohibit it either, just as they don't remove the gasoline engine specifications from the container.

Oil manufacturers, just like manufacturers of laundry soap and screen doors do listen to their attorneys - as well they should. But they also listen to their product engineers and scientists.

A friend of mine rides nothing but Harleys. Builds, buys and sells them too. All he ever uses is M1 15W-50. He's been a full time auto tech at new car dealerships (mostly Chevy) for most of his life - 60 yrs.

No Shell wouldn't tell you not to run RT6 in gas applications. They designed the oil to be dual-rated. And it is JASO approved.

I am running a 50/50 mix of Rotella T6 and Mobil 15W50, so the 5W from the T6 lubricates on startup and the 50 from the Mobil 15W50 lubricates when the engine is warmed up!

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Having used this stuff in my Harley I will never,ever use it again. My top end sounded like a can of marbles bouncing around. I ran it for about 1000 miles prior to going big bore and I'll never spend another thin dime on it.
Rotella is what I use now. I do have an oil cooler too though.
Doesn't your bike call for a 40 grade anyway. Why go thicker?
I've used every oil out there. All the v-twin oils as well as the automotive 20w-50s and from experience the automotive oils made my bike whisper quiet compared to marbles.
Rotella is the best 3000 mile bike oil out there. Cost per mile is unbeatable.

I have run Mobil v twin oil in three Harleys for over a100000 miles with no problems . But never tried the car oil in them . The reason I switched , was S&S recommended Mobil v twin in their motors . It must help my none of them had a cam problems . My sportster gets regular Harley oil , but I drop it at 2500 to 3000 miles
Jake

Originally Posted By: buckeyejake
I have run Mobil v twin oil in three Harleys for over a100000 miles with no problems . But never tried the car oil in them . The reason I switched , was S&S recommended Mobil v twin in their motors . It must help my none of them had a cam problems . My sportster gets regular Harley oil , but I drop it at 2500 to 3000 miles
Jake

I said the top end was loud,not that it was causing any real problem.
Considering my bike isn't tappy with any other oil,including rotella,I'm sticking with the oil being the cause.
I've got an S&S big bore kit on my bike,tw6-6 cams,heads were milled flat and for a compression boost.
I've got manual compression releases on the heads so I can use a stock starter.
107hp-115tq. 100tq at 2300rpm.
Its not a Japanese or euro screamer however it sure is fun to make miles on.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: buckeyejake
Jake

I said the top end was loud,not that it was causing any real problem.
Considering my bike isn't tappy with any other oil,including rotella,I'm sticking with the oil being the cause.
I've got an S&S big bore kit on my bike,tw6-6 cams,heads were milled flat and for a compression boost.
I've got manual compression releases on the heads so I can use a stock starter.
107hp-115tq. 100tq at 2300rpm.
Its not a Japanese or euro screamer however it sure is fun to make miles on.

The only cam I have used is the 510 g s&s , they make a little noise ! Did you run the stock valve springs ? I never trusted them for a very high lift cam. The sporty has Se 497 which is about all you can go whit stock heads .
Jake

Used it in my '99 Softail on advise from a Mobil Rep at Sturgis and have used it in my '04 R1150RT as well.
Great oil.

JP

2012 BMW R1200GS

During break in BMW recommends using ONLY conventional oil. So at 12,000 miles I switched over to Mobil 1 15W 50 full synthetic. The bike runs fine and the oil still looks new in the site glass. I am approaching the 18,000 mile mark and I am planning on doing a UOA with Blackstone. I'll post after receiving the results.

Originally Posted By: BMWR1200GS
During break in BMW recommends using ONLY conventional oil.

Is this written in your owner's manual somewhere?

The reason I ask is that my 2013 F700GS makes no mention of it, and good luck finding out what oil they used in it at the factory. First service is at 600 miles and they want you using 15w-50 oil. There are no mineral 15w-50 oils available in the US.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: BMWR1200GS
During break in BMW recommends using ONLY conventional oil.

Is this written in your owner's manual somewhere?

The reason I ask is that my 2013 F700GS makes no mention of it, and good luck finding out what oil they used in it at the factory. First service is at 600 miles and they want you using 15w-50 oil. There are no mineral 15w-50 oils available in the US.

I've never seem reference to only mineral oil being allowed in them.

But BMW being how they are about things are strict about the correct oil which they approve to be used.

I'm fairly certain that the factory fill is Castrol Activ 4T 15w-50.
It's listed in the RSD as the only oil approved for service refills, and it's also listed in the owners manuals.

The BMW dealers should at least have it in bulk should one need to get some for home. Or maybe in 1 Litre bottles from the service department.
It seems to be a good oil.
It smells like a Group III mineral oil, and the TDS and marketing blurb indicates that is what it is.

Alternately you could try to get Motul 3000 15w-50 4T.
It's the equivalent of the Castrol stuff fills the basic requirements.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back