new car titling

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am going to license the new car in a couple days. And am curious how does the dmv know my purchase price since it's not on the title there isn't even an area on the title where the purchase price would go.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
So I am going to license the new car in a couple days. And am curious how does the dmv know my purchase price since it's not on the title there isn't even an area on the title where the purchase price would go.

Is it new to you or brand new? Typically DMV likes to see a Bill of Sale with the price and you also need to fill out a sales tax form. For used vehicles they may look it up in a NADA book if you put down $20 for a $20,000 vehicle.

Write a check to the state for the tax, instead of giving the tax money to the dealer. If you put the tax money in the dealers hands and the dealer declares bankruptcy before they send the money to the state, you will have to pay the tax (a second time to the state) before the state will allow you to renew your plate when it comes up for renewal.

An honest dealer will not mind you writing the tax check to the state even if they handle the transaction.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Foreign concept to me. Dealers up here do the plating/titling for you as part of the sale.

Same here, and the sales tax is paid at the time of car purchase.

I guess some states allow you to separate these transactions, so that's news to me as well.

Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
Missouri DOR Form 1957 fulfills this function. If you didn't get one, you will be required to produce one from the seller.

A car from a dealer should have come with DOR Form 108, an Application for Title. That form has a space for Net Price, less any trade-in, rebate, or other credit that affects sales tax amount.

Missouri requires you to pay sales tax at the DMV when you title the car.

Last edited:
My recollection is that dealers in Missouri don't collect sales tax. That is calculated and part of the registration/title transfer transaction at DMV. Vehicle doesn't get registered or titled without payment.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Foreign concept to me. Dealers up here do the plating/titling for you as part of the sale.

Same here, and the sales tax is paid at the time of car purchase.

I guess some states allow you to separate these transactions, so that's news to me as well.
Same here too

Originally Posted By: yesthatsteve
Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
Missouri DOR Form 1957 fulfills this function. If you didn't get one, you will be required to produce one from the seller.

A car from a dealer should have come with DOR Form 108, an Application for Title. That form has a space for Net Price, less any trade-in, rebate, or other credit that affects sales tax amount.

Missouri requires you to pay sales tax at the DMV when you title the car.

The license office isn't going to let you do anything without the form referenced above. If the dealer didn't complete it, you should call them ASAP.

Last edited:
Best thing to do is just call your motor vehicle registration office and see what all you need to bring.

Texas they used to go buy what you paid for the car, now they have a Standard Presumptive Value. It's 6.25% of Sale price or SPV, except on new cars then it would be sale price. Also they have a sales reciept form that you pick up when selling or buying.

I think that folks in Missouri lucky enough to get to pay a yearly tax on cars... similar to a property tax on real estate.

As a result... many cars that sit in garages in St. Louis MO have Illinois plates and are registered to addresses in East St. Louis, IL... or Alton, IL.. etc.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I think that folks in Missouri lucky enough to get to pay a yearly tax on cars... similar to a property tax on real estate.

As a result... many cars that sit in garages in St. Louis MO have Illinois plates and are registered to addresses in East St. Louis, IL... or Alton, IL.. etc.

We have to pay yearly taxes on cars here in CT. I don't see what that has to do with titling and registering. The dealer handles all that paperwork here.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I don't see what that has to do with titling and registering.

Who said it had to?
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I thought you already *had* a brand new car?

I guess he gets to drive around on temporary tags for months where he is.

Here in Georgia we were charged a yearly "Ad Valorem" tax each year (usually averaged about $380/year for our two vehicles). I'm assuming it was calculated on the present value of the vehicle by year of make of the vehicle. Fortunately, they got rid of it this year and we only have to pay $20/vehicle for new annual tag registration. I'm wondering what other tax or fee will go up to cover this revenue loss since the revenue lost should be considerable given the number of vehicles registered here in Georgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back