MANN or VW Oil Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Not due for an oil change for a little bit, but want to make a decision on my next oil filter. Vehicle is a 2004 VW Beetle TDI with 160k miles currently. I'm a little of an early oil changer, not sure if I can make it 10k on this OCI but it'll be somewhere between 7,500-10k miles. Currently has an oil filter I bought from the dealer.

I know nothing of the two, so does anybody know which one would filter better between a MANN and a VW filter? Thanks.

I think Mann *is* the OE filter on this car. If you buy it from the VW dealer, it will probably say Mann on it.

Mann and Mahle both supply to VW.

Does it have to be one of these 2 filters?

I am betting Mann would be easier to find (Napa?) than the VW filter.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The VW filter and the Mann filter should be just about identical. Use either one with confidence.

Yes. Search on ebay if you want to see pictures.

Well if they actually are basically the same I guess it doesn't matter much, I just had no idea.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

The VW dealer is 1.5 miles away from my house and a MANN filter can be bought on Amazon with free shipping.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Well if they actually are basically the same I guess it doesn't matter much, I just had no idea.

The VW dealer is 1.5 miles away from my house and a MANN filter can be bought on Amazon with free shipping.

1.5 miles isn't bad at all. Does it have to be one of these 2 filters though? Have you considered WIX, Fram, M1 etc?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

1.5 miles isn't bad at all. Does it have to be one of these 2 filters though? Have you considered WIX, Fram, M1 etc?

I'm open to other filters but hadn't thought much of it. I'd love a Fram Ultra but I don't think they make them for this engine. I have mostly used Wix filters in all other applications but I don't know the filter efficiency percentage on any of these filters.

Buy the OE from the dealer. It's made by Mann, but more than likely in Germany. The Mann's (HU7196X is what mine takes (different part number for your TDI though)) in the Green/Yellow box that were bought at the auto parts store were made in Mexico. Same filter though, I'm just weird like that, that and the ones at my favorite dealer were less than $9/pop whereas they were about $13 elsewhere.

The BEW oil filter is not always going be a Mann filter. It shares the same filter as the ALH.

I have recieved non-Mann filters from VW before, and Non-German filters

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tommygunn
I think Mann *is* the OE filter on this car. If you buy it from the VW dealer, it will probably say Mann on it.

Mann and Mahle both supply to VW.

Is this true in North America?

VW/Audi OEM filters I used to buy for my 1.8T where made in the USA, and I think by Champion Labs?

Definitely where not Mann or Mahle filters, from outward appearance.

My not-so-Mann filter from VW

6313IMG_0816-med_zps7c3c0978.jpg

6313IMG_0815-med_zps5d9f761b.jpg

it depends on what VW feels like buying.

Fram cartridge filters used to be a bargain, as they were repackaged Mahle filters.

then Fram went Chinese... and not really impressed with them...

so, I buy online, whatever is cheapest... Mann, Mahle, or Hengst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back