2014 GM 5.3 & 6.2 V8 OCI Cost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waiting for the next NAPA Syn sale. $3.49 qt X 9 quarts (1 extra for good measure) + 1 AC Delco PF63 filter at Walmart and you are still under $40 (before tax) for a dexos approved synthetic oil change.

Yeah I know the OP's question involved dealer changes, but unless they are free, I don't see anyone touching this price point for a full synthetic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sopususer
Waiting for the next NAPA Syn sale. $3.49 qt X 9 quarts (1 extra for good measure) + 1 AC Delco PF63 filter at Walmart and you are still under $40 (before tax) for a dexos approved synthetic oil change.

Yeah I know the OP's question involved dealer changes, but unless they are free, I don't see anyone touching this price point for a full synthetic.

Remember, these engines hold 8.5 qts. That (1) extra will be your 1/2 qt.

AFAIK my local dealer is still $39.99 for a lube and tire service, if you want synthetic they bump you to $79.99.

Its about time GM went to a proper oil pan capacity.

I don't have a GM but I do have a Tundra with the 5.7 liter and it too has an 8 quart sump. Dealer wants $67.95 + tax for bulk Castrol synthetic and you get some coupon from Castrol for $20 off your next oil change. I let the dealer do my free oil changes and do not trust them. Left a bolt out of the skid plate and do not clean up after themselves very well.

I have a private mechanic that changes mine and it comes to $94. I get 8 quarts of TGMO 0w-20, a tire rotation, Toyota filter, driveshaft lubed and washer fluid topped off. I could do it myself cheaper but this guy has a nice recliner in his shop and does not have a problem with me sitting there and watching him do the work.

Local dealer does LOF change plus rotate for $39.95 with Dexos blend. Thats for up to 5 quarts. Extra quarts are ~$4 so for the 2014 trucks its about $57. Full syn (they use Mobil 1 bulk) is $69.95 for the same above plus ~$9 per extra quart. So roughly $106. Ouch.

I started this post to give a heads up to future buyers about the amount of oil that is required in these engines and to show them what a current owner is paying for a LOF.
My cousin traded in his 2010 Toyota Tacoma for a 2014 Chevy Silerado a few weeks ago. I had previously read about this engine earlier this year. I told him prior to buying his truck about the 8.5 qt. oil capacity because of how anal he was about his LOF with M1. He would do a LOF every 4-5K miles on his Yota with M1. I told him his new toy will bankrupt him if he continues that route.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: klt1986
I don't have a GM but I do have a Tundra with the 5.7 liter and it too has an 8 quart sump. Dealer wants $67.95 + tax for bulk Castrol synthetic and you get some coupon from Castrol for $20 off your next oil change. I let the dealer do my free oil changes and do not trust them. Left a bolt out of the skid plate and do not clean up after themselves very well.

I have a private mechanic that changes mine and it comes to $94. I get 8 quarts of TGMO 0w-20, a tire rotation, Toyota filter, driveshaft lubed and washer fluid topped off. I could do it myself cheaper but this guy has a nice recliner in his shop and does not have a problem with me sitting there and watching him do the work.

$94, that's not really bad, not if you are going in every 10k. Vastly cheaper than the gas it took to go 10k!

I kinda wish my Camry had a larger sump, it's about 5qt (4.5 I think). Over half the engine size of my Tundra, turns about 1.5 the rpm's of my Tundra? So (in a sense) it gets worked just as hard while loafing around. When I changed the oils in both I've noticed the Camry has a stronger smell of gasoline.

Still less than fifty bucks to change the oil in the driveway.
Hardly enough to bankrupt anyone buying a new truck.
With a sump capacity of 8.5 qts, I'd go by the OLM without a doubt, so cost per mile would be pretty low.
German car owners have had an awareness of large sump capacities for decades.
Not really an issue.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
With a sump capacity of 8.5 qts, I'd go by the OLM without a doubt, so cost per mile would be pretty low.
Not really an issue.

I made that statement about my cousin. With an 8.5 qt. pan and him doing a M1 LOF every 4-5K miles, do you think his wallet will not feel those effects? He averages about 30-35K miles a year on a vehicle.
coffee2.gif

Read the rest of what you quoted.
There would be no reason at all to drain 8.5 quarts of oil every 4-5K. This truck has an OLM for a reason.
If the guy does 30-35K each year, then the truck can go well beyond 4-5K on an oil change.
Even if the guy did blow forty or so bucks on an oil change every 5K, that'll still be only a small fraction of the cost per mile he'll have in fuel.

There would be no reason at all to drain 8.5 quarts of oil every 4-5K. This truck has an OLM for a reason.
If the guy does 30-35K each year, then the truck can go well beyond 4-5K on an oil change.
Even if the guy did blow forty or so bucks on an oil change every 5K, that'll still be only a small fraction of the cost per mile he'll have in fuel.

It must run in the family because he, like me, don't like OLM's. We have had a talk about the OLM and he feels he is a better engineer (about when to change his oil) then the ones that came up with it.
grin.gif

With that much oil capacity, he should get the clue that 4-5K drains aren't needed.
Also, if he does the annual mileage you've said he does, then a lot of his miles must be highway, which further mitigates the need for 4-5K drains.
It's his money if he wants to spend it on uneeded oil changes.

With that much oil capacity, he should get the clue that 4-5K drains aren't needed.
Also, if he does the annual mileage you've said he does, then a lot of his miles must be highway, which further mitigates the need for 4-5K drains.
It's his money if he wants to spend it on uneeded oil changes.

He is "somewhat" mechanically inclined. He only uses FRAM oil filters because he said that's what he saw John Force and Don Garlits use on their dragsters.
grin.gif

Is everything else, beside length basically the same so that the longer filter be used on, say, a 2013 5.3L in a Silverado?

Originally Posted By: splinter
GM has seen fit to specify a slightly taller oil filter on its current generation V8s as well.
Remember to factor that inconsequential price differential into maintenance expenses.
smile.gif

Note current AC-Delco PF63 (~4-7/8”) replaces previous PF48 (~3-1/2”)
[chassis dependent in some instances].

Equivalent Mobil 1s for reference:
M1-212.jpg

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: klt1986

$94, that's not really bad, not if you are going in every 10k. Vastly cheaper than the gas it took to go 10k!

I kinda wish my Camry had a larger sump, it's about 5qt (4.5 I think). Over half the engine size of my Tundra, turns about 1.5 the rpm's of my Tundra? So (in a sense) it gets worked just as hard while loafing around. When I changed the oils in both I've noticed the Camry has a stronger smell of gasoline.

I don't think it's that bad either...his shop has AC in the summer and heat in the winter. Plus I have the benefit of not worrying about what shortcuts the dealer may have taken on my vehicle. I maintain my wife's CR-V so I figure it probably evens out.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
With an 8.5 qt. pan and him doing a M1 LOF every 4-5K miles, do you think his wallet will not feel those effects?

But why would he need to do that with M1--especially with an 8.5 QT pan? If he is putting 30-35K per year on his vehicle, then those are mostly all highway miles and all the more reason to extend the OCI--at least until the OLM tells him to do so. 10K would be the minimum I would run 2 gallons of M1; I have done it a few times now (15K) with room to spare.

Not really an issue.

I made that statement about my cousin. With an 8.5 qt. pan and him doing a M1 LOF every 4-5K miles, do you think his wallet will not feel those effects? He averages about 30-35K miles a year on a vehicle.
coffee2.gif

Don't cry when doing elective services.

Most European cars going 10k-20k between changes and I would expect GM to fall inline with that.

Its simply silly performing so many services on a vehicle that's going to get crushed and turned into a scrap cube in 10-20 years regardless.

It must run in the family because he, like me, don't like OLM's. We have had a talk about the OLM and he feels he is a better engineer (about when to change his oil) then the ones that came up with it.
grin.gif

What kind of engineering degree does he have?

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
What kind of engineering degree does he have?

None, that I am aware of. But, he once slept at a Holiday Inn.
crackmeup2.gif

Seriously, he is somewhat of a shadetree mechanic. He works as a captain on the MS. river.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
With an 8.5 qt. pan and him doing a M1 LOF every 4-5K miles, do you think his wallet will not feel those effects?

But why would he need to do that with M1--especially with an 8.5 QT pan? If he is putting 30-35K per year on his vehicle, then those are mostly all highway miles and all the more reason to extend the OCI--at least until the OLM tells him to do so. 10K would be the minimum I would run 2 gallons of M1; I have done it a few times now (15K) with room to spare.

I have asked him that same Q? BTW, this is how he did the LOF on his Yota. I talked to him earlier about this and he said the first (2) years are covered by the dealer. Afterwards he said M1 with a FRAM filter at 6-7K miles, maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back