Cummins vs Powerstroke vs Duramax

Status
Not open for further replies.
there were the 6 part videos by the powerstrokehelp guy, you'll spend 40+ minutes watching them all plus other relevant ones. going from memory i want to say if you were serious about spending money on a Ford diesel truck the best to chose is a 6.0L and put $5 grand into the motor. I think the big thing was head studs, the 6.0L will get the best gas mileage and run the hardest. the later year 6.4L and 6.7L are plagued by various emission devices and DPF that you can't necessarily remove. And i want to say the 6.7L was shown to have bad cylinder head valve train design, they are only going to last 100k miles before the valve train needs to be rebuilt. again, i'm going from memory. if you are looking to buy a ford diesel truck you should watch the videos so you know what to expect.

http://www.youtube.com/user/powerstrokehelp/videos

---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL_5ACtAjLs&list=UUQz2vFEc1m-WGKf6g-pz9DA

The powerstrokehelp guy is, for the most part, referred to to as a moron in the powerstroke community.

He's a guy trying to make a buck by instilling fear into all who watch his cheesy videos, if you don;t come and spend $5,000 for me to bulletproof your truck it will fail, and so on.

Based on all the stories you hear about the Powersmokes, he sounds like he could easily be correct.

Not everyone has a high opinion of them...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Based on all the stories you hear about the Powersmokes, he sounds like he could easily be correct.

Where is this person with a high opinion of the 6.0/6.4 Powerstroke? I'd like to meet him.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Where is this person with a high opinion of the 6.0/6.4 Powerstroke? I'd like to meet him.
smile.gif

I haven't yet met him. But I did a ton of research across a half dozen RV boards before I bought my 09 Dmax. It was the truck with the best reputation among folks who towed big trailers all over the country...

Well, I have no qualms with my 6.0 as it's been the best, trouble-free truck I've owned. There were a larger percentage of the 6.0 with issues, but many were owner induced. When the 6.0 was introduced ('mid '03) everyone thought it needed to be tuned as the 7.3 did to make it run, and everyone who could sell a programmer came out with one for the 6.0.

I'm not denying there were issues right from the factory, because there were, on top of all of the new emissions equipment, and Ford techs who at the time didn't have enough training to diagnose what was going on, which trails right back to Ford. Ford was under the gun to get the 6.0 released to be EPA compliant.

Lesson for the day, don't believe everything you read on the internet as I have friends who have blew up Fords, Chevys, and Dodges.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
But yes, it does seem they are planning to dip the Powerstroke into the medium duty market. We'll see how that works out.
wink.gif

It'll work out just fine, the 6.7 Powerstroke is a proven 6.7 Cummins-killer.
wink.gif

Nowhere near the rated service life.
wink.gif

And I'll believe that the day I see half a million ways to put a Powerstroke in a Dodge truck, instead of vice versa.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back