Honda A01 CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Honda A01 made by FILTECH and it was on my 2002 ACCORD V6 for 7000 miles and I used Valvoine Maxx Life FULL SYNTHETIC Oil... Look how nice the filter held up for actually 7200 miles. My 2002 Honda Accord v6 has 189K miles on it.

First if you see any steal shavings in the pics that's b/c I had to cut the filter open.
Just want you all to make sure you know that.
smile.gif

I Counted 47 Pleats but the pleats are like double rolled, seems lil different then others the way the filter element is on this filter.

zirrev.jpg

2u7u535.jpg

2lmo4nt.jpg

ynqef.jpg

I pulled the steal insert out and you can see the pleats are perfect.

sden2s.jpg

25stv6s.jpg

You can see its a real Honda Filtech Oil Filter.

2wn02hk.jpg

Here is a better picture of filter with steal insert in and in better light and you
can see the Filter held up very nice.

2u4r72a.jpg

Here is nice picture inside filter with steal insert with Bypass valve inside.

a49si.jpg

Here is a nice picture with the filter in the can with Silicone ADBV.

I got the filters on Amazon for 7$ each and if you bought 2 shipping was free.
So I bought 2 for 14$.

So how do you think the filter held up for 7200 Miles?

I changed my oil today and put in 5W30 Valvoline Maxx Life FULL SYN...

Im out of Maxx Life FULL SYN and will be moving to Mobil 1 HM 5W30

Anways I was surprised how well that oil filter stood up. I mean its not a specialty Oil filter. At 1 time it was just regular Factory oil filter.

I wonder what the specs are on that oil filter compared the A02 aka Fram Tough Gaurd.

Enjoy The PICS

Last edited:
Do you know what the efficiency rating of the AO1 is ? What is the media material ?

From outward appearance, it looks like a well built filter, but for less than 2$ more (at WalMart), you can purchase the Fram ULTRA with a 99% efficiency rating, using wire-backed synthetic media, and guaranteed for 15K. The Ultra can be used over again (2 X 7000) for your next OC as well.

Works out to about $4.50 per oil change.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Do you know what the efficiency rating of the AO1 is ? What is the media material ?

From outward appearance, it looks like a well built filter, but for less than 2$ more (at WalMart), you can purchase the Fram ULTRA with a 99% efficiency rating, using wire-backed synthetic media, and guaranteed for 15K. The Ultra can be used over again (2 X 7000) for your next OC as well.

Works out to about $4.50 per oil change.

Yea the FRAM ULTRA is a great oil filter... but there is just somthing about the Honda A01s that seems special.. I mean look at it......

and its MADE for Honda Engines... The FRAM ULTRA is a great oil filter but its made for many engines.. Who knows if the bypass is the exact factory spec.

I just really like OEM.

But have no problem using a FRAM Ultra or TOUGH GAURD.

Originally Posted By: David1
The FRAM ULTRA is a great oil filter but its made for many engines.. Who knows if the bypass is the exact factory spec.

Fram wouldn't specify the Ultra for your car if the filter's design specs didn't work for your car. The aftermarket filter makers warranty the filter, and typically say it "meets or exceeds OEM specifications". Same holds true with any oil filter specified for a vehicle.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The FRAM ULTRA is a great oil filter but its made for many engines.. Who knows if the bypass is the exact factory spec.

Fram wouldn't specify the Ultra for your car if the filter's design specs didn't work for your car. The aftermarket filter makers warranty the filter, and typically say it "meets or exceeds OEM specifications". Same holds true with any oil filter specified for a vehicle.

+1.....So get on with it and use a Fram ULTRA.....best bang for the buck.

I ordered a 6-pack of A01's from H and A Honda. Good filters. But now I buy Fram Ultras when they go on sale. Same price after rebate and I don't have to buy 6 at a time.

I wonder what the specs are on that oil filter compared the A02 aka Fram Tough Gaurd.

Enjoy The PICS

Just a note that the A02 is NOT the same as the TG. Its efficiency is much lower.

Originally Posted By: Poohbah
I ordered a 6-pack of A01's from H and A Honda. Good filters. But now I buy Fram Ultras when they go on sale. Same price after rebate and I don't have to buy 6 at a time.

And MUCH better filtration. I like the Honda filters, I just dont like how poorly they filter. To the OP, thanks for cutting and posting! But do you know its called Valvoline MAX Life not MAXX Life right?

Looks good. I've thought about using them when the time comes to change oil on my 14 Accord, but honestly, I can get M1 and Fram Ultra at good prices, so they will probably get the nod. Nonetheless, the Honda, Fram, or M1 will do a good job, the former being a little "better."

Originally Posted By: gregk24

And MUCH better filtration. I like the Honda filters, I just dont like how poorly they filter. To the OP, thanks for cutting and posting! But do you know its called Valvoline MAX Life not MAXX Life right?

How poorly they filter... really. Any evidence that this makes the slightest difference in engine longevity...? Some would argue that they FLOW better, and by-pass less. And by-passed oil is 100% unfiltered...!

Originally Posted By: geeman789

How poorly they filter... really. Any evidence that this makes the slightest difference in engine longevity...? Some would argue that they FLOW better, and by-pass less. And by-passed oil is 100% unfiltered...!

Believe me, I am all about oil flow. All I used to run was Honda filters (mainly the A02). But its been confirmed time and time again that the Fram Ultra is a free flowing filter, that also has EXCELLENT filtration. So thats my choice for now.

Originally Posted By: geeman789

Believe me, I am all about oil flow. All I used to run was Honda filters (mainly the A02). But its been confirmed time and time again that the Fram Ultra is a free flowing filter, that also has EXCELLENT filtration. So thats my choice for now.

I have bought and used FRAM ULTRA for my Honda and even cut them open and showed them here. However its been a long time since I have seen a Honda OEM A01 so I bought 2 of them on Amazon.

I have no problem with Fram Ultra... Its a great Filter.. Made like a TANK and as you said its now flow restrictive and it cleans / filters the oil....

I also like Fram TOUGH GAURD also.. Fiber End caps our not... Fram TOUGH Guard is a good filter IMO.. I have run them 4000 Miles and even 5000 miles and cut them open and posted pics here and they looked perfect.

Also what I find cool about the A01 is it drains all the oil from the filter element in a few minutes...

All other oil filters I have cut open I have to let the filter element drain over night.

However the HONDA A01 just drains right now..
Perhaps b/c the way the end caps is made and how it can be removed.

However on next oil change I will use a Fram Ultra or Fram Tough Gaurd.

Im not scared of Fram Oil filters even the fiber end disc...

My Grandfather who owns a car garage for over 40 years swears by FRAM even years ago when there was only the Extra Gaurd.... on His personal cars he would use FRAM and on his car lot and on customers cars he would use Group 7 and even to this day he uses FRAM and when I used to think the fiber end disc stuff was bad I started to tell him and he laughed at me... He said Grandson I remember when we used Toilet Paper for Oil filters.

Fram Oil Filters are great.

Well 2 differet sizes FRAM ULTRAs fit my car.. the 7317 and 3593A
So are are both them the same?

Also I like FRAM OIL FILTERS.... I think they are great and are best bang for the buck.

However Personally if I can get A01s with no problem, I would use the A01s
however they are harder to find then going to wallymart and paying 8$ for a FRAM ULTRA or 6$ for a FRAM TOUGH GAURD... So I have no problem with FRAM.

However if Walmart had HONDA FILTECH A01s there for 5$ I would get the A01s, I bet many would.

Also what I like about the Honda Oil filter is the Gasket... Its D shaped... I have seen or read that the D shaped gasket is better then the Regular...

also the D shaped gasket on the A01 and even A02 dont come off easy like 99% of the Gaskets on other oil filters.

Again... I like FRAM Ultra.. Not bashing FRAM.....

Last edited:

Exactly.

BP events are RARE to begin with, and when the do happen they are more of a quick "burp" effect. The BP pressure setting in the filter is unique to the filter media, not the OEM criteria. If the filter maker believes they can tolerate more dP and not risk the media, then what difference does it make anyway? We're not talking some factor of 10x of dP here; we're only discussing perhaps a few PSI for crying out loud. Also, the BP event responds with a range of force equal to the input. These are simple linear-load springs; they have a "rate" ("x" pounds per linear distance), so there is not one single pressure that it responds to as if it's a light switch. There is an opening set point that falls within a statistically acceptable target zone per the filter maker, and then the opening rate is determined by the spring rate. As long as the engine isn't starved for lube, it's moot. (And trust me, your engine isn't starved for lube from it's positive displacement pump ....)

Here's how it works in a nutshell:
1) spring rate is selected to a targeted performance response rate by the filter maker
2) spring is installed with a "preload" that determins the initial opening dP set point; there is always an acceptable "range" for this due to product variation and process variation (typical of manufacturing industry world-wide)
3) spring rarely comes into play; BP events are very infrequent because dP is rarely great enough to surpass the set point
4) spring may actually come into action, and will burp to relieve dP across the media; at no time does this reduce the volume or pressure to the engine in any manner such that the engine is at risk; to the contrary, it actually is an increase in flow for that tiny fraction of time, but it's completely inconsequential to the engine either way

Show me clear and decisive data that this matters and then I'll sit up and take notice. Until that happens, it's all just typical BITOG banter with no proof.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back